What's new
What's new

Running kerosene through coolant system to clean?

chancho

Plastic
I recently picked up a 16x102 Axelson Lathe. I got it from a closed machine shop. Headstock and apron gears look okay. Ways visually look okay.

The entire lathe has brass and steel chips stuck in hard/gummy oil everywhere. I was thinking about running kerosene through the coolant system to help clean it. The coolant system can reach everywhere on the lathe and importantly will recirculate the kerosene like a parts washer. After removing three 5 gallon buckets of soaked chips and 5 gallons of cutting fluid/oil from the sump, I started rethinking my idea.

The stock pump has no filter to prevent chips from entering it and is made from cast iron, steel and brass.

Is it a good idea to run kerosene through the coolant system for cleaning? What can I use to filter chips before they hit the pump?

axleson.jpg

I would say to get some industrial soap a 5 gallon bucket, a scrub brush, rags, putty knife, long arm heavy duty rubber gloves and the hottest hot water you can find and do it that way. Better safe then sorry.

NO AIR HOSE either.

I recently picked up a 16x102 Axelson Lathe. I got it from a closed machine shop. Headstock and apron gears look okay. Ways visually look okay.

The entire lathe has brass and steel chips stuck in hard/gummy oil everywhere. I was thinking about running kerosene through the coolant system to help clean it. The coolant system can reach everywhere on the lathe and importantly will recirculate the kerosene like a parts washer. After removing three 5 gallon buckets of soaked chips and 5 gallons of cutting fluid/oil from the sump, I started rethinking my idea.

The stock pump has no filter to prevent chips from entering it and is made from cast iron, steel and brass.

Is it a good idea to run kerosene through the coolant system for cleaning? What can I use to filter chips before they hit the pump?

View attachment 213548

some shops use a thin spindle oil of such low viscosity its like kerosene. they do have things called strainers that are a screen filter that have pipe connections
not all coolant will clean with oil or kerosene. got to watch caustic cleaners and powerful solvents. they can easily damage rubber parts and paint
some coolant has a mixed in cleaner in it. basically fresh coolant will clean the old stuff out. i use coolant that slowly takes paint off fixtures. it cleans itself, it just needs changing usually once a year. sludge of fine chips at bottom of tanks can need some hand scooping to get out. metal dust will not dissolve

Back