What's new
What's new

Scientific Paper on Scraping and Measurement

I saw his on here years ago in another thread and I doubt many saw it.
Hate to brag....lol...but please look on the last page under references.

http://140.112.14.7/~measlab/downlo...Produced by Scraping Process Measurement .pdf

congratulations, you are famous :). Scientific and industry presentations do not get any of us academy nominations...but i gained a few friends who recognized the papers i presented a few places. Any scientific community is a small pond with a few overgrown fish. Welcome to your own pool of fame.

Seriously, that is cool to have, at least you know, who is interested can find you. The even cooler part is the image they used for demonstration. That is not a bad scrape job, at least they did not use a cross scratched surface ground surface.

dee
;-D

I was an instructor for apprentices in a skilled trade, my pay wages and benefits were $47.00 per hour. Rich King has a business and a lot of equipment he brings to his classes because the average student doesn't have it to bring to class. The only criticism I have is teaching amateurs power scraping when they can barely hand scrape properly.
I was allowed to audit a class Rich taught and I found it well taught within the alloted time he had.
I think I have enough experience to make an accurate judgement to his ability.

I have had about 1% students complain in about 3 years. Thats pretty good statistics don't you think? Over the last 40 years I figure I've taught over 30,000 people and can't recall having more the 5 or 6 complain...Check out You Tube and see how many people took my classes. Pretty good odd's as far as I can figure out. Dee your math is better then mine...whats the %?

I have had about 1% students complain in about 3 years. Thats pretty good statistics don't you think? Over the last 40 years I figure I've taught over 30,000 people and can't recall having more the 5 or 6 complain...Check out You Tube and see how many people took my classes. Pretty good odd's as far as I can figure out. Dee your math is better then mine...whats the %?

0.02%....give and take a few....(I rather be rich than king, although being rich king might be best of both)

dee
;-D

Tell my wife I'm rich....lol...taking the summer off hurt my bank account a lot. But I am truly rich in the sense of accomplishment knowing men like you Dee, Dennis, Paolo, Keith, John, Pete, Stefan, Andrew, Lance, Steve, Cory, Stan, Adam, Brian, etc, etc, etc. Are passing on my knowledge and adding some of your own. Your attitude is positive and not negative all the time. Thanks! Rich

figure 11 helped me realize for the first time, how large the distances between points are. even with 40 ppi (sounds like a lot) theres about 4 mm between them. its a shame they didnt include more "normal" pictures of the three surfaces. what kind of scraping is the third?

and is there more of this stuff? they must have been doing something during the past 7 years. e.g. take a scraped surface and hone it a little. what happens?

The 3 rd is what looks like aground or stoned smooth surface that was scraped with a 5 or 10 Radius blade and the scrape marks are narrow and resemble a scratch. The results of #3 in more friction because there are not as many low spots the high spots. i will write them and OMC and see if any other articles were done. There was an Earth Quake in Taiwan couple of days ago, So might take a while to contact with them...getting late....Yawnn Rich

Richard.

I wouldn't hang my hat on that too much. Whilst your the first reference, the next 24 are to do with electronic evaluation of a scraped surface. I think they have actually ripped off your training notes. That's why your the first reference. How else would they come up with PPI. Taiwan has never been Inches..

Next 24 are typical of this.

[6] S. Tadanori, Y. Yasuo, S. Itaru, N. Norihiko, Digitalization and intellectualization of scraping operation (1st report): investigation of a series of scraping operation by skilful worker, Journal of theJapan Society for Precision Engineering 69 (2003) 949–954.

[2]recognition of black bearing by CCD camera

[3]The recognition of bearings by means of a CCD line sensor and the automation of scraping works,

You do know, that entire paper, is about automating the scraping process, using camera's, laser & computers. Did you actually read it?

The entire paper is about how you measure and quantify a scraped surface, and how to automate it.

Of course I did and I don't mind that they copied any of my materials as most of the professors, PHD's in the machine tool industry took my classes when I taught there over a 30 year period. Prior to me teaching there they had the Japanese teach them. They followed their teachings and never achieved more then 10 PPI and 20 POP.

They sent some of people to Japan also to companies like OBISHI KEIKI SEISAKUSHO CO., LTD. - YouTube Had the Japanese teach inside Taiwanese factories.

When I was there we reviewed the Japanese scraping machine and the professors from Chung Shan Institute of Science and Technology, Taiwan. They had gone to test the scraping machine and they said it was broken more then it was operational.

I am damn proud of the work TAMI and PMC has done to the machine building industry as many of the Taiwan machine builder are creating and building machines as good as any built today anywhere in the world. Unlike the USA they teach the factory workers free of charge to help pass on an industry. As George C. Scott said in the movie "Patton" I'm damn proud of these men.

Now that I have students from around the world and call them my "kids" I have a HUGE family.

QUASER MACHINE TOOLS, INC.

QUASER MACHINE TOOLS, INC.

YEONG CHIN MACHINERY INDUSTRIES CO., LTD. - News

In Turkey Spinner CNC Takım Tezgahları Fabrikası

8 Divisions of GMC, Timken Bearing, Cummins Engine, John Deere, 4 USA Naval base Repair Shops, Us Corps of Engineers at 2 dams, 3 USA Army/Navy Defense Depots, Kingsbury bearing, etc.etc.etc. the list goes on.

Last edited:
Rich may have an ego but he also has a solid record of accomplishment. I've bumped heads with him many times over scraping issues (I was always right) but I respect him for his practical knowledge and his preservation of a fading technology by promoting it for niche applications and for mentoring legions of students scattered over the world.

My hat's off to you Rich, ya bastard.

You do know, that entire paper, is about automating the scraping process, using camera's, laser & computers. Did you actually read it?

The entire paper is about how you measure and quantify a scraped surface, and how to automate it.

Yet that holy grail is yet to be achieved so some kudos to the masters they hope to copy.
Sooooo... IMO, the OP should justifiably stand proud of his work, teaching and contribution.
We will all be eclipsed by the future. The OP has done much to make a mark. Can any man hope for more?

More to the point... Why poop on his parade?
At what physiological view does this make sense?
Bob

Funny Forest, takes one to know one. At least I'm not a copy cat...lol

I am glad your still kicking. Hadn't seen any posts in here for a while. I figured you got chased out by the 3 amigos or left the planet. I looked in the OB's in Bremerton as a matter of fact. I was thinking I would come to your Irish wake and toast a few to you and if you leave the planet before I do, I will do that. I already have mine planed. Told the wife rent the Local Red Barn VFW hall, set my ashes next to the picture of me holding a Biax scraper and free beer and booze.

Back