What's new
What's new

Scraping as applied in Hunter's Point NS 1971

Forrest Addy

Diamond
In the thread "Pull Scraping," Richard King wrote of "signature pass," a distinctive style of finish scraping recognizable by the cognoscenti. Well done Richard. Very descriptive and helpful.

I've never addressed that aspect of the scraping business except to reference a personal style or to emulate the spot count, bearing,and texture found in unworn parts of the original scraped surfaces. It's an apt name for an essential concept and Richard's citing it stimulated me to
recall another branch of the scraping trade based on recollections of yore. I think the following is fairly accurate but I may have missed some important details.

I recall Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard where a bunch of us traveled in 1971 to help with the workload. Their machine shop had no surface grinders worthy of the name so pump and turbine flanges needing fine consistent finishes for metal to metal pressure tight joints were precision scraped.

There was a specialized crew of scraper hands and I'm sorry to say I never got a chance to pump their brains while I was there. For one thing, I worked at the other end of the shop and got yelled at if I strayed. For another, these were old school depression era workers who guarded their secrets. They assumed curious visitors were interlopers out to steal their jobs and had to be driven away by curses and threats.

They scraped little cast iron but lots of cast steel, cast alloy steel, cast and wrought stainless of dozen of different alloys, bronze, Babbitt, aluminum, everything that you could imagine that required tight-fitting face to face sealing. It was all hand scraped in that section; all day, every day. Theirs was a high volume operation where small work - a steam chest cover for a reciprocating pump for example - was briskly done in minutes and the flanges of a big LP turbine case were swarmed by a team and scraped flat in a matter of hours.

They had all the parameters worked out for scraper end radii, edge angles, carbide Vs HSS Vs Stellite, Vs cast alloy... for every combination you could think of. They had racks and drawers of scrapers of every conceivable type. They had spray bottles of "Mystery Milk" they would mist over the printed surface prior to scraping that greatly reduced scratching and "drag" particularly in ductile steels.

They mostly hip scraped, that is, their long flexible scrapers were driven by powerful nudges from the hip as opposed to driven by arm, shoulder, or belly power. The body end of the scraper had a leather covered wood pad 4 to 6" in dia. When driven by a powerful thrust of the hip the scraper made actual chips. If Mystery Milk was in use every stroke was accompanied by a tiny puff of vapor; there was that much heat energy imparted to the chip.

Here's a video showing a strong resemblance to a HPNS scraper hand in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTru...5TSv-IL19eJwVd

Imagine a dozen older Californian men dressed in blue bib overalls working as teams in a congested and grubby shop constructed during WW II and you'll have a good idea of the appearance and activity in the scraping section.

I recall they did some pull scraping mostly in areas where access was difficult or restricted to one direction, Their technique was much like seen here in previous posts but done with vigor and efficiency.

I recall their finishes were typically very smooth and carefully stoned to reduce the inevitable scraping ripple to a minimum. They did not scrape to high spot count as I recall - 4 to 8 spots per square inch sticks in my mind - and most of their work was intended for liquid tight and pressure tight boundaries, Babbitt and bronze bearings. No cast iron on cast iron sliding bearings at all.

Which brings us to signature scraping. Their large cast iron surface plates saw heavy continuous use and while they babied them, it was necessary to touch them up every few weeks. This was a process of lifting and inverting plate onto plate in succession, taking prints, and scraping to a definite texture. Their largest plate had scraped in it a HPNS logo which had proper bearing and looked no different up close than any other part of the plate. Stand back in the right cast of light and the logo flashed brilliantly or receded darkly from the flash of the rest of the surface. I puzzled over this for the longest time and finally concluded the last few passes of the scraper in the logo were at right angles to the last passes of the balance of the table.

Little extra time was expended in the creation of this refinement but it served as an undeniable statement of pride and competence of a very capable and tight knit group of craftsmen.

That was 44 years ago. Most likely all who worked in the scraping section are very old or dead and their vast store of specialized lore has gone with them. Too bad their feats were never recorded.

Ours is a trade handed down through generations from master to apprentice and much is lost if there is even a small gap. It's a pity we have no tradition of written record. If we were scientists we'd have written stores of past knowledge ready to enlighten the delver but alas we as craftsmen can
only look back at patchy history often chronicled by the well meaning ignorant.

Last edited:
Too bad their feats were never recorded.

Ours is a trade handed down through generations from master to apprentice and much is lost if there is even a small gap. It's a pity we have no tradition of written record. If we were scientists we'd have written stores of past knowledge ready to enlighten the delver but alas we as craftsmen can
only look back at patchy history often chronicled by the well meaning ignorant.

How do you propose to describe the things you learn by doing? How do you teach somebody to become an oenophile? How do you commit to paper the tactile sensation you get through the handle of the scraper when all is working well and chips are the right size, and the surface is just right? You know it, even when you are a rank novice like me, because it feels right, and no amount of reading can make it happen, but a scraper sharpened just right, held at the right angle, pushed it the right way will tell you. All you need to do is do it over and over and over......and a few more times. From a teacher's perspective all you need do, is watch and correct, then watch and correct again.

The rest you can write, or talk about. The measurements, how you align things and all the exact technical stuff sure, that is documentation, but the body dynamics of scraping no amount of youtube watching, no amount reading will get you great at it. It is like expecting to be become Casanova by reading the Kama Sutra over and over again.

dee
;-D

Last edited:
Dee, you placed your finger on the exact problem: Often - usually - words and images are insufficient to convey lore and culture.

Ever see a dance score where choreographers attempt to record for posterity their evanescent creations? Translations of poetry? Chili recipes? We as machinists got it easy but still we lose whole chucks of hard won expertise.

One of the best posts on PM, Forrest, and few will likely ever see it. Wonderful story, and very much appreciated.

Edit: Make that three, thanks to Dee. Excellent question, and response.

Nicely written Forrest. Thank you. Of course now I must try to put my initials on something. I think I'm about to ruin a perfectly good plate in the near future!

Pinging "Bob in KC". Your Email didn't work so I'm trying through PM. Yes you can quote my entire post but I insist on author's attribution and source (PM) citation. I've seen my writing pasted in other's blogs without off-setting quotes or attribution which is not only discourteous but plagerism.

Where did ole Bob copy and paste your post and claim it to be his own words? Seems only fitting to post a link of this post there? Yeah it is discourteous!

Brent

Where did ole Bob copy and paste your post and claim it to be his own words? Seems only fitting to post a link of this post there? Yeah it is discourteous!

Brent

That's not what he said, is it? He wanted to give Bob permission because Bob asked before doing, unlike others who did without asking. That's how I read that, anyway.

That's not what he said, is it? He wanted to give Bob permission because Bob asked before doing, unlike others who did without asking. That's how I read that, anyway.

I suppose you could be right? I may have misunderstood what he wrote. If so? Sorry Bob!

Brent

Nah. Bob in KC seems cool. I think he wants it for color in a larger work.

Blame my rant on me. I get irritated when I find whole paragraphs of my stuff in other's blogs. It's a hot button issue with me. I found my air compressor tutorial copied into an automotive blog as part of other text written by someone else. No attribution. No source. No nothing. Plagerism, pure and simple. Gr-r-r!

My stuff is free for all - and a token piece of the action if a large enough royalty is involved. All I ask for is the normal literary courteslies.

The video above just makes me think sore back. What did the older guys know that I don't?

Lucky7

Back in the old days when I scraped by hand, we pushed with portions of your body. Depending on your height or how heavy the part was you learned to push the scraper with more mass then your arms. Being 6'3 and the apprentice I usually got the base to scrape the low heavy base that had to be leveled on the floor and to heavy to put on horses. I remember scraping the ways of a G&L Boring Bar that had 2 - 30' sections that were bolted together. My Dad had sent them to Northern Pump / FMC a huge Naval ordinance plant up in NE Minneapolis that had huge planers that had planed the scores in the bed. The base had 3 box ways approximately 12" wide. One of them was the guide-way too so we had to scrape the 4" vertical ways. Luckily FMC planned it to .001" in 30' end to end and the keyed sections that bolted together close too. So all we did was "Cut & 1/2 Moon Flake" them.

We sat on wood boards we added some foam rubber to we sat on and would use our Sanvik carbide tipped scrapers we had then. Those guy that Forest talks about probably used HSS as we did in the 60's and early 70's. We would hone the HSS and you usually had 3 scrapers that you switched when one got dull. Got to go now...wife is has to go to the doctor. BBL. Rich

As an aside - former employer Enpro Systems pres John Painter attended an auction at HPNS about 1995 and sent home by multiple rail cars 20' VBM, 700 ton C frame Verson press and what appeared to be an in-the-floor press brake weighing 135 tons

Back