What's new

Scraping Classes in Scandinaivia 2017

Richard King

Diamond
Scandinaivia Scraping Classes in 2017

We are planing 2 Scraping / Machine Rebuilding classes in Scandinavia

Denmark class - 19.-23.04.2017
Norway class - 26.-30.04.2017

Both classes being the usual 3 day basic class, plus the possibility for an additional 2 day "advanced sessions"

Jan Sverre Haugjord - [email protected] Is again coordinating the classes as he did back in 2015 when we did 2 classes over there.

The Denmark class will be held at:
Mr. Steen Nielsen in his shop at Ishøj Strand, which is close to Copenhagen (20 min drive). He is a "tool maker" by trade & education and has a very large and well equipped hobby shop at his home.

The Norwegian Class:
Our Norwegian host, Mr. Asmund Buen, in his home in Jondalen, close to Konsgberg. He is also a tool maker by trade and education, and also has a nice sized and tooled home shop in the basement. However, the shop he plans to use is in Notodden (about 1 hour 45 minutes drive from Oslo), because it will be a better location.

Several Europeans have started a facebook page on rebuilding. here is what Jan wrote me:
Our "Verktøymaskinklubben" Facebook group no has over 250 members and I will of course pots there. I noted some 18-20 interested persons, so if half commits we have a good start. Then there have been some emails from others that you have forwarded, plus some that I have gotten directly (word spreads!)

Jan wrote me and told me there are still a few openings for both locations, so please email him or me and we will send you the info.
Thanks, Rich
[email protected]

Hi all,

It is again time to invite to another set of "machine scraping and alignment" classes in Scandinavia. We have planned for late April next year, first in Denmark then in Norway. I will help in organizing the events and those interestedd, pls. get back to me at my email (or Richard King directly). I can send those person the invitation" and getting the individual emails I will have a chance to keep track and allow me to share the information as time ticks towards the class date. NB! Payment direct to Richard..

Good news:-)

The Norway class is full and we have a few slots still available for the Denmark class. All my classes have similar formats and if you can prove to me on day one you are experienced in scraping already you can join in doing the advanced session(s) on day 1.

Here is the info the organizer Jan is sending out.

Dear Possible Student,

I understand very well the concern re. the money & loss of income involved. However, I think I can safely say that it is worth it. The class represents a unique accumulation of knowledge gained in the rebuidling profession during a lifetime career. Richard is also near retirement, so it is a lifetime opportunity to learn from the best.

Actually as of today we hit the roof re. number of students for the planned Norwegian class, but ther are still openings for participating in the Danish class.

This is to take place April 19.-23. 2017 (ie. Wednesday - Sunday) at Ishøj Strand (20 min drive from Copenhagen)
The hosts is Mr. Steen Nielsen , mail: [email protected]

I reckon since you are from the UK it is amply convenient to fly to Denmark as it would have been to Norway?
Should there develop vacancies for the Norwegian class, I will inform those still interested

Both classes are 5 day classes, 3 days as basic training working on the basic skills, then 2 days advanced sessions where you may work on a special project of yours. We plan to start at 08:00 and finish around 16:00

All financial affairs are between each student and Richard King. Payment information below:

You can pay either the full amount or a 1st deposit = half the sum
If anything is unclear, pls. write to Richard for further info.

Full contact adress:
Richard King
King-Way Scraping Consultants
10855 68th Street South
Cottage Grove, Minnesota (MN) USA 55016
651 338-8141
handscraping.com
[email protected]

Tooling and facilities:
The class facilities will include surface plates, straight edges and other measurement tools, hand and power scraping tools, grinders for scraping tools, slipstones and marking compound (Canode, ie. water based) and other accessories & general shop tools for the students to use. There will also be drilling, milling and turning possibilities, used in accordance with the shop owners "policy and practice". Each student will have a suitable "practice piece" (ground bars) to work on. We will also plan to have a session on application & scraping of Rulon way material.

You should bring:
- Your own scraping project(s) to work on.
A typical project would be a lathe- or mill saddle, top- or cross slide, mill table, surface plate, straightedge and angle plate. You should have a good chance finishing a small project during, or as a result of the class and also have a pretty good idea of what to do and how to manage the rest of the machine and similar projects.
- Manual / Hand scraper if you have one
- Personal measuring equipment: Dial test indicator(s), dial indicator and stand, micrometer(s) etc.
Optional items (if you have):
- Biax machine scraper
- Surface plate
- Straight edge
- Small tool grinder with diamond wheel

Basic class study:
Upon payment for the class, you will be sent a DVD or memory stick to the address you supply. Please watch this DVD and study the topics covered. This will form the foundation of what will be taught during the class.

Basic scraping Class overview and some details:
Hand scraping:
15 – 20 PPI on cast iron on practice bar
½ moon oil flaking by hand
Sharpening scraper blades
Working with levels, test indicators and micrometers
Power scraping, power flaking, personal projects, Rulon (Turcite) application
Machine alignment (demo & use of Kingway tool), 3 point alignment (kinematic mount), lubrication,
Testing and scraping tapered gibs
Q&A session on machine rebuilding & scraping
Guidance on personal project(s), scraping to 40 PPI, straight edge scraping, pull scraping
Discussion of lubrication and considerations

Advanced sessions:
More in-depth training on scraping and machine alignment:
Further work and personal instruction on your project or multiple projects
Technique to achieve 40 points per square inch for straight edges, surface plates & jig borers
Emphasis on machine alignment
Application of Rulon (Turcite), scraping and cutting oil grooves

PS! cc to Richard King, so that he is also informed

I have learnt so much from Richard and are very grateful for having had the opportunity to be taught and guided by him. He is a truly extraordinary craftsman and teacher in this field.

PS! You may have a really good walk-through of the class by watching the video from the most recent class last week hosted by Mr. Keith Rucker, a YouTube video creator:
The Richard King Hand Scraping and Machine Rebuilding Class - YouTube

I see that there are also other students from that class, which was special in the sense that there were a number of "celebrties" attending, incl. Abom79 and others.

[email protected]
---
Fra Jan sverre Haugjord

Epost: [email protected]

Signed up, excited and ready to go ;)

I will bring a Renz scraper, I heard you like them.

Ps.: I sent you an email regarding the payment, did you get it?

Dear Stefan,

I did receive it, thanks. I am working on sending receipts to everyone. Just feeling better after the last class and sent out 10 Ebay sales yesterday. (my wife had a virus when I got home and I am trying not to catch it..say a prayer for me..lol) Have 4 more ebay sales today plus other errands. I don't have a secretary so it takes a while especially when I am out of town. Bring your Renz and everyone can compare them to the BIAX's. When BIAX Germany had a sale a few years back they took in several in trade. I saw my first Renze maybe 25 years ago over here and again most preferred the BIAX. It's like automobiles, you like VW I Like GM... No big problem to me. It will be nice meeting you. Rich

Just bought my Ticket. Arriving in Denmark April 17. :-) Jan says there is still 2 or 3 spots open in Denmark but the Norway class is full. He has purchased several Straight-edges at an Auction in Sweden and will have those to sell or as a project if someone needs one in both cities. He has us taking a overnight ferry ride from Copenhagen to Oslo after the Denmark class, sounds like a heck of a trip!
I can't wait. Also it looks like I will be teaching in Germany in November & December 2017 too. :-) Rich

I can't wait.

Same here :D

The summerhouse that Jan has organized is a beauty.

I am still looking what to take with me, I am driving myself by car, so I will take my Renz powerscraper and a bunch of measuring tools with me, and maybe my granite surface plate, it is not to big to move.

As for what project to take with me, I am not sure yet. I think about taking the table and the cross slide of my small surface grinder. Would that make sense without taking the whole machine with me?

I was also thinking about my rotary table...

As far as your grinder, if the saddle bottom is longer then your base or top of the base ways we could scrape it first and if the table is longer then then the saddle top table ways we could scrape them and you could match fit them together when you get home to finish them. Plus we could prepare those ways so they won't be high in the middle. But I would not recommend you match fit the table to the saddle top off the machine base. It would be a great project to show how we use 3 - points to scrape parts. If you would grind the table top while it is together please do as it is work hardened under the mag chuck and even though the machine is worn as it will relieve the stress in the table before we scrape it. If you don't do it now before, it may or will warp the table after it's scraped. Check with Jan if he has a straight edge longer then your ways, as he purchased several at an auction. Or if you have some, bring yours. They should be camel backs. As far as other "stuff" if you can safely bring it, bring it. Jan knows what we can do. I am assuming you will not need to take the basic class and just show me you know how to scrape and then jump right away on your grinder, compound, etc. Rich

Getting close now....I am leaving Sunday afternoon an arriving Monday. Then teaching on Wednesday thru Sunday. Jan has made a reservation so I take a ferry up to Oslo. Sounds lovely! I will be bringing some BIAX scrapers. Have to keep the tool boxes at 50 pounds each. I am thinking of bringing 2 maybe 3, 2 are free and I will have to pay extra for the extra one.

If you guys have the test equipment I will leave mine home. I usually bring the Moore Book, Connely book and Schleshingers book. I will leave them at home, so that should cut down on the weight. Bringing 2 king-ways and scrapers. A few hand too...and blades, stones and Rulon (Turcite). Going to bring 2 carryons too. No suit or sports coat....I'm a sweatshirt and jacket kind of guy. I am thinking I should bring 3 steaks in my baggage to grill ??? I am not a big fan of Lutefisk. (ick) Rich

As for what project to take with me, I am not sure yet. I think about taking the table and the cross slide of my small surface grinder. Would that make sense without taking the whole machine with me?

StefanG,

When I took Riches class last August in Boston Mass I took my LIP 515 along to work on. You should take the whole machine because everything is related as far as alignment goes.

You will also need to find a straight edge that is no more than 1" (25 mm) wide. The reason for this is that the flat way on the table sets in a shallow well and a straight edge wider than 1" (25 MM) will not fit.

I am making a straight edge for that job but it's not done yet. =(

Todd

Thank you for the explanation Richard, did I understand it correct that I could scrape the table (Which is longer than the saddle bellow it), if we have straightedges there that fit the work? And I can fit them to the saddle, when I am back?

When I took Riches class last August in Boston Mass I took my LIP 515 along to work on. You should take the whole machine because everything is related as far as alignment goes.

I wish that was possible, but that exceeds my possibilites at the moment - But I hope that Richard can give me a few directions on what to do and what not to do, if I have the table and saddle of the machine with me.

I am assuming you will not need to take the basic class

I have the fear that I have gotten into a bunch of bad habits, so I look forward to get hands on information for good practice.

I am thinking I should bring 3 steaks in my baggage to grill ??

You can bring steaks onto a plane?

And: Do you drink beer? I might/will bring one or two fine bavarian beers with me :)

Stefan

I have the fear that I have gotten into a bunch of bad habits, so I look forward to get hands on information for good practice.

Good thinking Stefan. That is the main reason why I went to Richard's class last fall I knew I had some bad habits and was going about things in the wrong manner. It did not take long for Richard to explain why what I was doing was if not completely wrong was wasting time and energy that could be used for other things, for example, like drinking some fine Bavarian beer :)

My plane leaves at 4:10 PM today and about 8.5 hours I'll be landing in Paris and a 2 hour wait and I'll be on my way to Copenhagen arriving there time 7:30 AM Monday. The class starts Wednesday. I hope they have Internet where we are staying, if not I'll have to find an Internet Café to report in. The week after I will be teaching outside Oslo. Should be a grand time and I'll enjoy teaching some more Craftsmen the Once " Lost Art of Scraping " . Then in May we have another class in GA, June in Indiana, working on doing one in Oakland in July, Then I get a few months R&R and then again in GA in Oct, Germany in Nov & first of Dec. and finishing up the year in the UK just before Xmas. We have some openings in the July and German classes. Shoot me a PM and we can talk. Rich

The first day went very well I believe we have 11 all together. pretty much finished hand scraping today and will go onto Biax scraper tomorrow. Steffan will post some photo's later I finally got a Hot-pot working, so I will add some pictures in a few days too. It was snowing here yesterday, but small flakes and the sun was shinning too...weird.

Jan and Steffen rented a small bungalow 2 doors from the sea...very relaxing and good sleeping. Plus there is a super sauna in the building.
Take care and see you later Rich

Richard, Jan, me and Marcus (The guy from Australia) are staying at a nice summer house, only 15min away from Steens shop.

First day of the class in Denmark, it was already a great experience, just as I expected, Richard is a real good teacher - All the guys at the class did very well on the first day and got the hang of handscraping quite fast.

I have to go slow on photos as I have limited data volumen using my phone to get on the internet..And I didnt take much pictures the first day anyway. Most important, the Lunch was great, some sort of Denisch toast/sandwich on a dark bread:
pro_schab_012.jpg

Working on the practice bars with the handscraper, doing the paint-scraping as Richard calls it:
pro_schab_011.jpg

Going for Richards scraping rules of individual scrape marks/scrape lines:
pro_schab_015.jpg

I had a 1000W-Lightbulb-Moment when Richard explained how to hinge the part on the surface plate and what to look for, thats something I never understood or did, but it made my progress so much faster. He also introduced us to the Canode ink, which is way less dirty than the Dykem.
pro_schab_021.jpg

I also started to try handflaking, but it still looks terrible:
pro_schab_026.jpg

Second day, Powerscraping :D

Its getting loud in the shop, after a quick introduction we got the Biax scrapers (Different models) to use.

pro_schab_039.jpg

Its something like 20P/50%:
pro_schab_050.jpg

I tried handflaking again, using a copper slug to hit the flaker and it resulted in a very consistent result and its not as hard on the hand :D
pro_schab_043.jpg

Jan is working on the big 48" King straightedge:
pro_schab_041.jpg

Hands on with Mr. King:
pro_schab_051.jpg

By the end of the second day pretty much everybody started to work on a project - I brought my rotary table with me. I had already rebored the central bore, so I measured the aligment of the bore to the reference surfaces - In fact Richard had me to show the measurement been done to the whole class.
After I knew what was going on I started to work on the base to get it perfect parallel to the bore - It was off by about 5/1000mm:
pro_schab_053.jpg

Niels started to work on a Schaublin 102 compound and cross slide - We went trough the parts too and talked about them and how to tacke a assembly like this, how to deal with the gib and with which part to begin:
pro_schab_056.jpg

Very good day, we worked almost up to 19:00...

Stefan

I had a 1000W-Lightbulb-Moment when Richard explained how to hinge the part on the surface plate and what to look for, thats something I never understood or did, but it made my progress so much faster.

Once Rich showed me that, I had a similar experience, Like WOW! this is so much better! Now, after the initial scrape down, I scrape the high areas first until the part hinges correctly, then worry about bearing. It saves a whole lot of time(cycles) & messing around.

Some pretty nice looking scraping going on there Gentlemen.

Today is the last day of this class. The class is going super. The kids are working on several projects, Stefan finished his rotary table yesterday and today he will be doing experiments on different design Camelbacks and prism straight edges and see how they sag and how temp effects them, as there was a thread a while back talked about. Should be interesting. Stefan is a first class Tool & Die Maker and he loves to test things.

Thorsen brought a 90 stoke per min deep draw press (small punch press) ram and I have been teaching him how to scrape it and it's prism gibs. Stefan will add some pic's here and on his You Tube on how to do it as it's a lost art on how to scrape them. The others are scraping Rulon, lathe cross-slides and compounds. One of the guys brought the slightly worn gibs from his Shulban lathe and he is scraping and flaking them. He drives and was going to install them last night. He is also a Black-smith and Furuer (shoes horses) and today will demo his potable forge and anvil work from his work van.

Jan is scraping one of my brand HKA-48 SE that one of the students of the 2014 Norway class bought, they worked out some barter.

I have been laxed this time on adding pictures, but the internet over here is not free. Next week in Norway the hotel has free internet, so I will try to add some pictures I took. I also am having problems with everyones names. Hard to remember Englis names let alone Danish and Swedish ones. Marcusfrom down under, he is a 22 yr old young man who reminds me of my son and Hunter combined. He already has a job shop down in the Gold Coast He is doing super and is scraping 30 to 40 points.

Oh, Stefan tried a new model BIAX power scraper yesterday and I will let hime tell you about his comparison to the Renz vs. Biax Everyone have a good day. Rich

Back