What's new
What's new

Scraping Information

peregrin

Plastic
While I was browsing older posts, I found this, by skadisak:

"...I'm only aware of three in-depth sources of scraping information - the first is the "bible", Machine Tool Reconditioning by Connelly which is a large harcover book written many years ago... The second is the Rich King video available on eBay or through Dapra, and the third is a book/video combo from a rebuilder in SC named Michael Morgan... If anyone else knows of any other sources please fill us in."

There is also a new website, http://metalscraping.com that describes the scraping process in detail, from the beginning to a number of advanced topics. I'm the one who put it together ;) so if you look at it, I'd appreciate any comment.

Cheers!

Last edited:
First post is a sales pitch huh? By an ad if you wanna make money here.

Yes and we all know he is going to make a gazillion dollars selling information on scraping...I hear Michael Morgan now has a condo in the Bahamas, a McMansion in Los Angeles, and a flat on Boulevard Street in New York, all from selling scraping literature.....

Give him a break... It is a dying art in the first world countries, if you want it to survive then it needs all the help it can get...

I might be intrested cause I have to do something to a big L&S that is dire need of a rebuild, but since the bed casting probably weighs at least 8,000 lbs it might be a little big for a first time scraping job, but you never know.

Actually, there was a very informative series of articles in the 'home shop machinist' magazine a while ago. Pity really, I'd been thinking of writing one myself...

Having looked around the web site, It's possible that it's as good as Michael Morgan's book. probably won't buy though because after Morgan, King and Conelly (each of whom teach different aspects in their works), practice is the best teacher!

By the way:- Dye has a 'y' in it and the compounds used are invariably pigments and not dyes;).

I might be intrested cause I have to do something to a big L&S that is dire need of a rebuild, but since the bed casting probably weighs at least 8,000 lbs it might be a little big for a first time scraping job, but you never know.

Yes, it might be a little big for a first job... I would suggest you start with small things and get a feel for what scraping is like, and then decide if you want to take the plunge. You can get going with a minimum investment of time and $$s, and then if you decide the L&S is too big a job, there are all sort of other things scraping can be used for. I think of scraping as a basic skill that once learned, is available to be used whenever the occasion arises.

It's not -- the site is a teaser to buy his CD.

In my opinion, the trouble with "zero tolerance" for anything is that it can poison our minds against innovation and even spontaneity. Rather than "zero tolerance" I would prefer (and advocate) a "jaundiced eye" standard before we unleash the braying hounds to tree a "spammer".

The attraction of "zero tolerance" is that it enables us to snap our minds shut without having to wrestle with the seven headed hydra called "judgment". And of course it is not my prerogative - but the site owner's - to set the tone, rules, and limits to this site.

Still... Peregrin has passed the scratch and sniff test as far as I'm concerned. He was polite. He was direct. He was not sneaky. And as one of y'all so aptly pointed out - he is perpetrating and propagating a nearly lost art and one that is - or should be - of galvanizing interest to any and all of us.

So put me on the record as saying that "home smoked bacon" is not the same as "spam". Even if they're both packed in a can, they're both for sale, and (presumably) they're both "made of meat".

In fact, I'm even gonna go back and give Peregrin his first "like".

I regret that there is no "lighten up" button right beside the "like" button.

P.S. Peregrin. Welcome aboard. I hope you will bring in as much as you take away. Especially bacon.

V

Last edited:
Mark, thanks for the input. I guess the missing "y" must be my Italian accent, still showing up. Fixed.

Red lead, etc., of course are pigments, but I assumed the High-Spot blue, made by DYCHEM, was a dye. Do you mean it also is a pigment?

In my opinion, the trouble with "zero tolerance" for anything is that it can poison our minds against innovation and even spontaneity. Rather than "zero tolerance" I would prefer (and advocate) a "jaundiced eye" standard before we call out the braying hounds to bring a "spammer" to bay.

The attraction of "zero tolerance" is that it enables us to snap our minds shut without having to wrestle with the seven headed hydra called "judgment". And of course it is not my prerogative - but the site owner's - to set the tone, rules, and limits to this site.

Still... Peregrin has passed the scratch and sniff test as far as I'm concerned. He was polite. He was direct. He was not sneaky. And as one of y'all so aptly pointed out - he is perpetrating and propagating a nearly lost art and one that is - or should be - of galvanizing interest to any and all of us.

V

Vernon,

Thank you, and the others, for your good words, and the welcome! And I will do my best to bring in "bacon" to the group.

I would like to add two things.

1.- The awful text of the URL as it appeared in my post, is because I missed unchecking "Automatically parse links in text". It certainly was a turn off. Fixed, and sorry about that.

2.- In the website, at the end of the first page I said:

"I would have liked to make this available free, but, let's face it, I have to eat. So as a compromise, HERE is a free preview of the complete package, intended to be nourishing by itself as well as to wet your appetite for the whole thing."

I am repeating that here because I feel strongly about this kind of thing, and I believe that as much as possible the description of something for sale should be such that the reader will get his time worth from reading it, whether or not he makes the purchase.

Peregrin

Maybe I came off a bit harsh and I apologize to Peregrin. I'm a capitalist and want all to earn a good living. However, we get a lot of first time posters linking to
"for sale" sites. It would benefit all if that were postponed until a little contribution has be given. BTW Peregrin, where if Georgia do you live, I'm in Savannah?

Maybe I came off a bit harsh and I apologize to Peregrin. I'm a capitalist and want all to earn a good living. However, we get a lot of first time posters linking to
"for sale" sites. It would benefit all if that were postponed until a little contribution has be given. BTW Peregrin, where if Georgia do you live, I'm in Savannah?

Gawd, I love a group hug!

V

I just ordered one and any info on scraping is worth fifty bucks .

Collector

No disrespect to anyone, but basic scraping ain't a Space Shuttle launch, and I think is as much about a little practice as any amount of reading. Scraping to alignment on the other hand is a whole different ball game!

More info on Scraping

The best way to learn to scrape is to attend a scraping seminar. Forrest Addy /Don Roberts and I teach scraping seminars here in the USA and a group over in Australia Has them too. I had one student tell me he had read the books and watched the DVD's and not until he had a mentor standing behind him it never clicked. I am always looking for hosts to volunteer their shop so we can invite students to learn.
The site for machine scraping took a lot of work to organize. My hat is off to you. One thing I noticed is the bluing is to thick and looks like a smear. Remember when you put on the ink, be sure you can see the surface under it. To much bluing will cause a smear.
Inside factories I teach a 40 to 50 hour 5 day class and for the home hobbyist I have developed a crash course 3 day / weekend class. You can PM me for more info. The bottom line is Scraping can no longer be considered a "Lost Art" with so many teaching it.
Scraping is the easy part, knowing where to scrape and how much to take off is the desired results.
You can always contact me here in a PM or at [email protected]

I will be attending a Scraping Class Reunion in Taiwan later this month and I will post some photo's when I return. I also have taught at a Research Institute in Taiwan. Worked with over 200 new machine builders over the last 30 years.

DSC01916.jpgDSC01918.jpg3179.jpg3180.jpg3133.jpg

I had one student tell me he had read the books and watched the DVD's and not until he had a mentor standing behind him it never clicked.

My observation too.
If you watch your students scraping and tell them how to do it better/correct/faster they get a lot from these classes.

I had watched one who was quite good at scraping (looking at the result), but waisted a lot of time with the wrong tactics. I showed him and explained him what he was doing wrong. I showed him three passes and he was astonished how much time he lost.
That's hard to lear from a video or a book. Show and tell works best.

Nick

Back