What's new
What's new

Scraping a SCHAUBLIN COMPOUND

Richard King

Diamond
Thank you Richard!

I hope I didnt do anything major stupid in the video ;)

Stefan

nothing major, just a couple notes. Step scraping. I always mark my regions and start from the large number toward the small number, that way you keep your marks. So start from 5 then 5+4 then 5+4+3 and so on. The other is that i always start on the low side of a dovetail so no matter what the second side is always higher. But i bet you knew that :), but because you did not say it on the video, it will leave your students making the mistake to learn it :)

dee
;-D

Last edited:
because you did not say it on the video, it will leave your students making the mistake to learn it :)
But he DID say it in the video, Dee.

Right in with the general observation as to not wanting to do work twice, and who wants to do that? etc.

What I meant about Stepan's "bedside manner" was that information comes at a viewer gently, at a measured pace, but is.. I might call it easily digestible.

That makes it easier to remember, and for longer.

But he DID say it in the video, Dee.

Right in with the general observation as to not wanting to do work twice, and who wants to do that? etc.

What I meant about Stepan's "bedside manner" was that information comes at a viewer gently, at a measured pace, but is.. I might call it easily digestible.

That makes it easier to remember, and for longer.

uhm...he said it was a good thing that it was lower otherwise it would be a a problem to solve....I know for a fact he deliberately started on the lower side. He did everything right, like he always does, he just did not stress the importance to make that decision. This is no gripe against Stefan, it is easy to be critical, much harder to do what he did and film it on top of that. Since he sorta invited criticism, this was the worse i could think of, that ain't bad considering that he rebuilt a compound and demonstrated dozens of important aspects of that task.

dee
;-D

uhm...he said it was a good thing that it was lower otherwise it would be a a problem to solve....I know for a fact he deliberately started on the lower side. He did everything right, like he always does, he just did not stress the importance to make that decision. This is no gripe against Stefan, it is easy to be critical, much harder to do what he did and film it on top of that. Since he sorta invited criticism, this was the worse i could think of, that ain't bad considering that he rebuilt a compound and demonstrated dozens of important aspects of that task.

dee
;-D

MY observation - and it has to do with the way different people learn the most effectively, so I'm not fussed if I remain a minority of one - is that by "gently" sneaking that in, he took advantage of the obvious without being pushy or pontifical.

Not just that one point, either. All of them. It is his "style"

That lets a viewer "hook" the information onto his own common sense. It more easily becomes BUILT in, thence to a good habit without any resistance.

That makes for "absorbable" videos, and I'm pleased to seek and view more of them.

Already started, actually, but need to break for a meal now, 'coz the downside is that he is captivating enough to make a person forget to eat!

There's MY "invited criticism" - petty to a fault, and I hope he ignores it.

HTF could he know in advance what time, or time ZONE a viewer sat in, let alone when last they had eaten!

Now watch. With typical Germanic efficiency, next video may link one of my "global favorites" as a pre requisite for the course:

Restaurant Menu Gasthof zur Post

2CW... well thirty-forty Euro or so, what with beverages and such..

:)

FWIW, after I had bought Richards video, and acquired a few tools, learning scraping still seemed like something I didn't have the time to devote to. Stefan's videos eased my worries, Richard came for a visit to show me a little 1-on-1, and it came easy. If it weren't for these videos I may have never attempted scraping...

I'm not an expert so I don't have much to say as far as critiques for the video. I learn something new every time I watch one.

FWIW, after I had bought Richards video, and acquired a few tools, learning scraping still seemed like something I didn't have the time to devote to. Stefan's videos eased my worries, Richard came for a visit to show me a little 1-on-1, and it came easy. If it weren't for these videos I may have never attempted scraping...

I'm not an expert so I don't have much to say as far as critiques for the video. I learn something new every time I watch one.

"Funny you should mention" that very point.

I first had sight of another scraper's videos of a BeePee being Biaxed back to useful, then bought Richard's. Good teacher, Rich is, but still - I had convinced meself that younger, healthier folks could do it, but I was too old and stiff in joints and ligaments to stick with it until it came good.

Stefan made it look enough more "do able" - low-key, even relaxing - that I may try it after all...

He certainly has a way of explaining/demonstrating things on video that reassures beginners that it is, in fact, do-able.

Not that Richard is bad at it, to be fair. He understands folk have to start "from scratch", then learn to NOT "just scratch".

Stefan just gets closer to "we chikin's" as average guy, much as we are, not out-of-our-reach Master among Masters who has already climbed up atop Mount Olympus and is helpfully lowering climbing ropes to those behind him.

I was wizard good at rope tricks as a 145 lbs 20-something.

50 years and 50+ pounds on?

Not so much!

:(

And Richard? Thank YOU for the generosity of passing the baton. Not for the first time, either. You have a right to be proud of your students, and those who learn in turn from them, or on their own effort.

It isn't easy, but it is eventually the only way to preserve what good work has come before. The craft is older than we are allowed to become.

Not that Richard is bad at it, to be fair. He understands folk have to start "from scratch", then learn to NOT "just scratch".

Stefan just gets closer to "we chikin's" as average guy, much as we are, not out-of-our-reach Master among Masters who has already climbed up atop Mount Olympus and is helpfully lowering climbing ropes to those behind him.

I was wizard good at rope tricks as a 145 lbs 20-something.

50 years and 50+ pounds on?

Not so much!

:(

And Richard? Thank YOU for the generosity of passing the baton. Not for the first time, either. You have a right to be proud of your students, and those who learn in turn from them, or on their own effort.

It isn't easy, but it is eventually the only way to preserve what good work has come before. The craft is older than we are allowed to become.

There are people who can learn, and there are people who can teach. If you look at the youtube crowd, who went through Richard's courses, Keith Rucker and Stefan definitely stand out as most successful in conveying what they learned. I do not think it is a substitute for the course, but a hell of an endorsement for actually taking the course.

dee
;-D

There are people who can learn, and there are people who can teach. If you look at the youtube crowd, who went through Richard's courses, Keith Rucker and Stefan definitely stand out as most successful in conveying what they learned. I do not think it is a substitute for the course, but a hell of an endorsement for actually taking the course.

dee
;-D

Agree that. In the even broader sense, there are others who have "shared the evidence" do NOT otherwise teach, who have (pick one, seldom both) accomplished far faster completion than typical, or proceeded to far higher degrees of perfection, time needed to get there hard to compare.

Not all were Richard's students, but most of those we see here on PM have been.

And there is the highest accomplishment, greatest source of pride, and ultimate measure of the worth of ANY teacher:

That they are able to produce graduates who can surpass the teacher, and frequently, not just once in a very great while.

Absent that "leverage", that steadily repeated boost up the next rung of every ladder, the human race would still be struggling - and struggling HARD - to pick out the best rocks to throw at whatever they aspired to eat that day.

Agree that. In the even broader sense, there are others who have "shared the evidence" do NOT otherwise teach, who have (pick one, seldom both) accomplished far faster completion than typical, or proceeded to far higher degrees of perfection, time needed to get there hard to compare.

Not all were Richard's students, but most of those we see here on PM have been.

And there is the highest accomplishment, greatest source of pride, and ultimate measure of the worth of ANY teacher:

That they are able to produce graduates who can surpass the teacher, and frequently, not just once in a very great while.

Absent that "leverage", that steadily repeated boost up the next rung of every ladder, the human race would still be struggling - and struggling HARD - to pick out the best rocks to throw at whatever they aspired to eat that day.

Does anyone recognize the name Alfred Kleiner? We all know his phD student.

dee
;-D

We all know his phD student.

Some did at one time.

Mostly all we know personally is what is in the funny papers or what search engines can turn up on the 'net.

"Richard King" by itself has the burden of too many other famous folk, same name.

Add "scraper" or "scraping" and he's the first Google hit, page ONE, then fills two pages.

Not half bad, that!

Stefan is luckier. Less common name, name alone finds him right away.

John of NYC CNC in Ohio and Jan Sverre Haugjord in Norway (both on You Tube) should be added to the list of great teachers. Another one is PMC in Taiwan ??????
click on Facebook and scroll way down to the bottom and you will see yours-truly. I taught at Mfg. plants like GM, Cumins, Timken and the Taiwanese machine builders for years before teaching on the forums.

Last edited:

Back