What's new
What's new

Scraping services in or between Seattle and Portland

Gos

Aluminum
Greetings,
I'm looking for someone to work over a Bridgeport mill ways here in Washington State, or as far south as the Portland area.
Anyone have a name or contact information?
Thanks in advance,
Gos

Has anyone heard from Hunter as of Late?

he is in Portland area, young kid who scrapes, Rich went out to teach him a couple years ago. He was actually asking me this weekend if I had heard from him.

his posting on instagram have been very sparse.

he is in Portland area, young kid who scrapes, Rich went out to teach him a couple years ago. He was actually asking me this weekend if I had heard from him.

Diden't Hunter have health issues?

If I recall correctly Rich went out to teach for the Make A Wish foundation

I'm here.

I've been having chest pain in and around my upper left side. I went to the Doctor, and their best guess is the pain is from damaged nerves from my 3 open heart surgeries. My last one was when I was 3 and I've never had this pain before. So it scared the life out of me. I'm going to my Cardiologyst again later this month. The pain has died down from what it originally was.

For the OP, Lindmark machine is probably your best bet: http://www.lindmarkmachineworks.com If I remember correctly, forum member Forrest Addy used to work there.

Then if they can't do it, Calef Machine Tool rebuilding. They're in Gresham, but like other rebuilders, should be able to travel and do the scraping on site. Another thing to keep in mind, Calef has a big job every two years with a company rebuilding some large grinders. So there is a possibility they will turn down the job. These people have worked on a wide variety of machines, anything from Moore jig grinders to rebuilding 40' Giddings and Lewis planer mills. Here's a picture installing apparently one of the largest Thompson surface grinders on the west Coast. https://www.instagram.com/p/yetiman01

Just some random information: The company they rebuilt the 40' planer mill for, has a 110 or 120' planer/mill.

I'm here.

I've been having chest pain in and around my upper left side. I went to the Doctor, and their best guess is the pain is from damaged nerves from my 3 open heart surgeries. My last one was when I was 3 and I've never had this pain before. So it scared the life out of me. I'm going to my Cardiologyst again later this month. The pain has died down from what it originally was.

Take care of yourself Hunter! Hope this is just a minor issue.

dee
;-D

I know that CNC Machine sevices, in Snohomish, can scrape, but I don't know if they will do a whole machine.

Linmark grinders I think they can scrape.

A guy named Dale Perish (Shorline Machining) can scrape. He may have moved as I haven't talked
with him in a long time. You might try an old cell number 253-678-3401

Rick McCord can scrap, but he now has a regular job.

If there is much hard-chrome left it might be very hard to scrape. You might have to grind.

Paul Hoffman

Have you considered pulling the knee, saddle, and table and shipping them elsewhere to be tuned up? I think a lot of Bridgeport rebuilders don't scrape the column ways unless the machine is really clapped out.

There's lot of rebuilders here in the midwest.

Shipping back and forth starts to rack up the bill pretty quickly, hence my wanting to stay as local as possible.
The BP in question is a 1962 model, so I have to be a bit more realistic about how much coin to drop into the project vs buying a new machine and just start out fresh. I just bothers me to see these old girls kicked aside knowing they helped built the industry of this Nation.
Later,
Gos

When I wanted to get my old Tree rescraped I looked for quite a while before giving up and learning how to do it myself.
I am not recommending that, just saying that finding a shop out here stumped me.

When I wanted to get my old Tree rescraped I looked for quite a while before giving up and learning how to do it myself.
I am not recommending that, just saying that finding a shop out here stumped me.

I can sure relate to that!
Thanks again everyone,
Gos

Hi Gos,

I'm not sure if they do exactly what you're looking for, but Yancey machine tool company here in Portland has a good reputation for rebuilding machines. Or if you give them a call they could point you in the right direction.

Best,
Daniel

Gos,

I visited Morley machine in Milton WA several years ago hoping to get my lathe bed ground. They couldn't help me with the grinding but I did get a tour of the shop and it looked pretty good. They do scrape according to their web site so I suggest you check them out. You should be sitting down when you hear the price and that's not just for Morley but for most reputable machine tool rebuilders.

I also checked Calef in Oregon for the 14 X 40 lathe bed grinding and fitting (scraping) of the saddle and tail stock. The estimate was $7000 excluding freight. For the average Joe it's pretty much cost prohibitive to have an older machine professionally rebuilt. Especially if you are a hobby machinist.

I suggest you ask for assistance from local members of this site and/or HSM and work out a deal that is fair to both parties.

Good Luck

Morley Machine Tool Alignment Seattle – Tacoma

Back