What's new
What's new

Scraping Services in SoCal

everettengr

Aluminum
I recently purchased a DoALL DH-612 surface grinder. The machine is very complete and includes the hydraulic table feature and full flood coolant system. However, the one-shot lube system was clogged and there is a lot of wear on the table and saddle ways.

I'm looking for someone to scrape the ways here in the Southern Calif area.
Anyone have a name or contact information or suggestions?

Thanks,
Mark
20171003_120516 copy.jpg

You would probably be better off to find another grinder in better shape versus trying to scrape this one.

Depending on if the ways need to be machined/ground before scraping, I would estimate for a job like this you could easily be looking at $2,500 - $5,000.

Orange Coast, Jerry, can do it, they are capable. The downside, is that they only last time I was in there, anyway, had two guys, and they are not kids, and health issues crop up, they did a nice job on my K & T, other than missing a few minor parts and taking a year to do, it was a good, job, so if you are not in a hurry and patient...
Orange Coast Rebuilding Machine Repair Retrofit Remanufacturing

I gave them a call and got no answer. So, I emailed Jerry and hopefully will get a reply.

I also called a few other shops in the OC/LA area that come up with a oogle search and have not heard back from any of them.

So, might need a plan 'B'.

You would probably be better off to find another grinder in better shape versus trying to scrape this one.

Depending on if the ways need to be machined/ground before scraping, I would estimate for a job like this you could easily be looking at $2,500 - $5,000.

I think you are probably correct and it is likely not worth the cost. However, before I scrap the machine, I thought it would be prudent to look at the options.

I paid $600 and can probably recover my cost by parting it out. The chuck and controller work great, the hydraulic pump/tank, coolant pump/tank and other bits are probably worth something??? I've seen few grinders looking like total rust buckets offered for sale at triple the price!

If I don't hear back from any of the local machine re-builders, I will start looking for a replacement.

Mark

Are you running a job shop, or is it an hobby operation? Especially if you do it for hobby, what about learning how to scrape, get/build the minimal tooling for the job and do it yourself? Maybe you won't do a good job as a professional would, but it would be far better than what it is now and, most likely, much better than any other machine in that price range. You'll have learned something new, which could turn very useful on other machines.
And it is also likely that you'd be done with your own rebuild before you'd find somebody willing to rebuild it for you for $5000 or less and get the rebuilt machine back.

Paolo

Are you running a job shop, or is it an hobby operation? Especially if you do it for hobby, what about learning how to scrape, get/build the minimal tooling for the job and do it yourself? Maybe you won't do a good job as a professional would, but it would be far better than what it is now and, most likely, much better than any other machine in that price range. You'll have learned something new, which could turn very useful on other machines.
And it is also likely that you'd be done with your own rebuild before you'd find somebody willing to rebuild it for you for $5000 or less and get the rebuilt machine back.

Paolo

The grinder will be used in a facilities maintenance shop and also for personal hobby work. Not a job shop and will likely have light use, no production use.

The intent was to get a machine that was usable (I don't need another project right now). So, I may disassemble and clean it up a bit and see how bad it really is. If I can't find someone to scrape the ways, I can always let it sit for a while and make a decision later whether to scrap or attempt DIY. Downside is I don't have a grinder.

Mark

Well, I got a call back from a shop in OC, ARN Machine & Tool that can scrape the ways and price seems reasonable.
I will disassemble and drive it up there for a real quote and post back how it goes.
Mark

Back