What's new
What's new

Scraping on woodworking machinery?

inwoodcutter

Cast Iron
I was having some issues with my Oliver No. 20 pattern maker's lathe. I ended up taking the cross slide off. When I got it off I noticed this:

20170219_184902.jpg

The top of the slideways on the saddle appear to have been scraped.

Normally one doesn't expect to see this kind of precision fitting on a wood working machine. Oliver and a few other high end manufacturers may have done it. Has anyone else seen this or seen a WW machine scraped?

If this was the only time I've seen scraping on a WW machine I would have dismissed it. However I also noticed this on my Mattison 276 moulder on the outside head radial adjustment. This is the same Mattison that made the big surface grinders etc.

Dan

What's more odd is that they scraped a bit that never wears. Aah well - it'll be a good reference surface at least :)

What's more odd is that they scraped a bit that never wears. Aah well - it'll be a good reference surface at least :)

Not necessarily. Just because something is scraped doesn't mean it's accurate. A lot of cosmetic scraping goes on, indeed that seems to be all the rage at the moment with Asian machinery. In actual fact a reference has never touched the surface, and someone with a hand scraper has just gone over the surface to give the impression its been scraped. It may even be advertised as being "hand scraped".

I guess the moral of the story is to always verify your reference before assuming it's accurate.

The top of the ways is just decorative frosting (Connelly is arse-about-face on frosting vs. flaking). It does appear that there might be scraping on the working faces of the ways, but it's hard to tell. No harm in re-scraping it to remove wear and corrosion.

Looks like swiss style pull scraping to me, most likely done for decor as those marks would be far too shallow to serve any purpose beyond aesthetics. Also like Peter said they scraped the clearance surfaces also.
Chris German

Back