What's new
What's new

SF Bay Area pro spindle taper grinding service?

rklopp

Diamond
Some prior owner or operator spun a tool in the vertical spindle of my Aciera F5. There is a ring of raised metal that is too much to stone out. The taper is standard NMTB40 with a 5/8"-11 drawbar. The spindle is a removable cartridge that can be sent out as a unit so the taper can be ground on its own bearings. I am looking for a good grinding outfit to clean this thing up. Is on-site grinding worth considering, or will it cost the moon due to travel expenses? I don't have a compressor big enough to drive an air turbine, if that's what the on-site service uses.

It would be easy enough for me to send this thing someplace.

Thanks for any advice!

RKlopp

Use a CBN insert and hard bore it. Hold boring bar in a vise ( I think I used a 3/4 solid carbide with steel head indexable). Interpolate x and z to follow the angle. Works like a charm.

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, grinding is better.

We had Spindle Grinding Service come out and do ours.

Professional, efficient, and courteous, and priced very well.

I cannot recommend them enough if you have need. Having been doing this for as long as I have and knowing how it goes in this business ( as far as this end of things ), I know that I will someday have need to have another spindle reground at some point. I will not hesitate to call upon SGS again. In fact, I would be hard pressed to even spend my time getting other quotes. It is not worth wasting my time doing so for the value and quality of work they offer.

When Ryan left, our spindle was reading less than .0001" of runout 4" from the gauge line, on the inside collet seat of a Nikken collet chuck. It was later found to be less than .0001" at 7" from the gauge line, on a test bar. Good enough for anything we will ever do on that machine!

Rocky has semi retired but still lurks here, reading. Ryan came out to do our spindle. Sally ( Walt's wife ) and Jennifer take care of the day to day machinations. Each of them were EXCELLENT to deal with.

Count us as a very happy customer.

Gunnex Services, LLC
Home - Gunnex

We travel through out all of North America. We grind the following.
- CAT/BT
- BIG PLUS (We are the only company in North America factory certified)
- HSK
- Various other ID and OD tapers

vinyo23;3178991We travel through out all of North America. We grind the following.[/QUOTE said:
Be very, very careful dredging up old threads to SPAM your wears. We normally eat Spambots. You could be doing more harm to your company / reputation.

I'd normally rip you a new arsehole, but you have a valuable asset.

Be aware Walt (R.I.P) from Spindle Grinding Services Inc. Michigan was a long time member here. Rocky is still a member. BOTH of them contribute to the Forum. How about you contribute. Throw up a video of you grinding a spindle?
- BIG PLUS (We are the only company in North America factory certified)

Can you certify that claim? I'd like to run that past Frank at MariTool. If I recall correctly, he had issues with getting Kaiser certified.

Regards Phil.

Being certified to make the big plus tool holder interface is different than being certified to repair and grind the big plus spindle female part.

I never said that Big Kaiser would not certify any company, just not me. Maybe they dont like my business model, who knows.

Thank you replying Phil.

Here is a link to our YouTube channel.
Gunnex Services LLC
- YouTube

Our Parent company is 1 of 9 companies in North America certified to repair BIG PLUS tapers and of those companies we are the only ones that do OnSite Taper Grinding.

We receive referrals directly from BIG Kaiser.

I will update this thread when BIG Kaiser releases a couple of articles they have recently written on the topic which we were interviewed for.

Some prior owner or operator spun a tool in the vertical spindle of my Aciera F5. There is a ring of raised metal that is too much to stone out. The taper is standard NMTB40 with a 5/8"-11 drawbar. The spindle is a removable cartridge that can be sent out as a unit so the taper can be ground on its own bearings. I am looking for a good grinding outfit to clean this thing up. Is on-site grinding worth considering, or will it cost the moon due to travel expenses? I don't have a compressor big enough to drive an air turbine, if that's what the on-site service uses.

It would be easy enough for me to send this thing someplace.

Thanks for any advice!

RKlopp

Who did you end up using for your regrind? I'm up in Oakland and am getting some fretting at the mouth of my spindle and tool holders and may want to get it ground.

I used HST Spindle Repair in Bow, NH. They did OK, but I would shop around next time. The residual runout was more that I thought it should have been for a spindle ground on its own bearings. It's still acceptable.

There is a popular grind shop north of LA. I can't recall there name. They do surface grinding but I bet they ID too. They are on this list. Google " large capacity gringing shop Richard king practical machinist "

There is the Babbit Bearing Company in San Jose. I've never used them but I got a quote from them for a chrome & grind job, I bet they could do a spindle.

Back