What's new
What's new

Sheldon lead screw?

leonpiper69

Plastic
Tearing my new machine down for some clean up/grease/paint etc and can't figure out the lead screw so I am calling it a night.

I have the apron basically removed (except from the lead screw) and it is supported, but I can't figure the dang lead screw out as to how to disconnect it from the gear box. I removed the set screw (there looks like two holes for set screws but only one was present, I think the hole appears a little buggered on the other one). My guess is the lead screw unscrews from the shaft in the gear box but I don't want to just start trying to wrench it off without some info first.

Some older machines have the lead screw that goes right through to the other side of the gearbox through the gears that look like a christmas tree. (Hendy) South bends have a gear inside the gearbox with a double nut to remove and the lead screw comes right out. You may want to remove the gearbox if you did not already do it and take a look. I have never seen a leadscrew thread on to a shaft.

Some older machines have the lead screw that goes right through to the other side of the gearbox through the gears that look like a christmas tree. (Hendy) South bends have a gear inside the gearbox with a double nut to remove and the lead screw comes right out. You may want to remove the gearbox if you did not already do it and take a look. I have never seen a leadscrew thread on to a shaft.

Yes, since the leadscrew may be required to turn in both directions it would probably be a poor design choice to thread it on.

One further connection possibility might be a key and keyway but I know nothing specifically about Sheldons.

what model Sheldon is it? Both mine R-15 and my WWII vintage 11 inch have or had a taperd pin holding the lead screw in. Some hack drilled & tapped the R-15 holes for two different size Allen cap screws when the taper pin fell out or got lost. Too much trouble to fix right I guess.

It's a WM-56-P (the walking stick ;) )

It has two set screws and I agree threaded would not be a good idea. I will snap a pic of it.

I had read about the taper pins but don't see anything like that. But I will sand it a bit and see if anything starts to appear.

But I wonder what the set screws are for?

I was snapping a couple pics and while adjusting the focus it just jumped out at me......there it was .......the dang taper pin. It is in the LEAD SCREW. I was expecting it to be in the larger hub part on the gear box and imagined the lead screw going into that.

the gear box has a small shaft coming out going into the lead screw.

So I got the taper pin out after I took a couple of pictures and it looks like the shaft that comes out if threaded into the larger hub type part on the gearbox. But why? My guess is that is what the set screws are for. I need to look at my other smaller sheldon and see if it is the same.

got the gearbox off as well. So I can start scrubbing . Not going to do a complete overhaul but I am going to clean it up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_4237-1.jpg
    IMG_4237-1.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_4246-1.jpg
    IMG_4246-1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_4247-1.jpg
    IMG_4247-1.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 183
Hey,

I know this is old, and so are out lathes, so...

I'm down by Philly in Montgomery county, and just bought a 1959 Sheldon UXL 46B. It runs, everything is good, and I need to get it down into the basement from the unheated garage... already starting to rust thanks to the deluge we had this past weekend. So... I can't get the leadscrew loose. The tailstock bearing end is free, I found the taper pin and removed it, and I had one set screw... the hole on the other side is not threaded!? Anyway, the part with the set screw turns on the threads, however the lead screw is still solidly connected... what do I do now?

Thanks,
Steve
Pic is not attaching, so maybe copy/paste this link to imgur

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

IMG_3040.jpg

to remove the lead screw..tighten the threaded part back up, that is the gearbox stub shaft, the threaded part sets the end play and there is a bearing in there.

1- remove taper pin from lead Screw
2- remove bracket from tailstock end( has taper pins there too)
3- lock halfnuts on screw and use carriage hand wheel to gently pull the lead screw off the stub.
3- release halfnuts and slide lead screw out

Warning- apron worm may fall out

As 10K said, And to make it perfectly clear so whomever is reading this, engage the 1/2 nut and turn the carriage hand wheel to the right, as the feed screw is pressed into the taper pinned end. The one fellow may have to re-assemble the saddle being careful to engage the rack pinion and rack. put in a couple of bolts. Some machine builders also drilled and tapped a hole in the TS end of the feed screw so you could use a slide hammer.

to remove the lead screw..tighten the threaded part back up, that is the gearbox stub shaft, the threaded part sets the end play and there is a bearing in there.

1- remove taper pin from lead Screw
2- remove bracket from tailstock end( has taper pins there too)
3- lock halfnuts on screw and use carriage hand wheel to gently pull the lead screw off the stub.
3- release halfnuts and slide lead screw out

Warning- apron worm may fall out

Thanks so much 10k I am working on my Sheldon 13inch today and ran across the same problem that you just solved. I owe you a beer.

Back