What's new
What's new

Springfield VT Basic/Advanced scraping class April 25-29, 2018

Warren

Cast Iron
We are offering another scraping and machine rebuilding class hosted by Gearworks in Springfield VT with Richard King as instructor. The dates for that class are Wed April 25 thru Sunday April 29 2018

The class is open to both people who are new to scraping and wish to get a basic solid foundation on scraping for machine tool rebuilding or former students who want to expand on their knowledge.

The new students will participate in Richards standard class for beginning scrapers.

The advanced portion will pick up where the first class leaves off and concentrate more on things like surveying machines to map wear, making a plan to scrape or machine worn areas and then scraping for alignment. Or solve whatever problems we encounter. I will have some worn out stuff to use as training aids and all students are encouraged to bring a project as well. More on that later

For information and pricing contact Richard or Alex King and they will send you an informational email
[email protected]
[email protected]

You can also contact either myself [email protected] or Wayne Hilliard [email protected] for general info. We will be adding more to this post as time goes by such as lodging and class information etc...

There is quite a bit of interest in this class, so do not sit on fence too long.

Warren

I am sure just meeting Warren alone is worth the cost of the class. He will be able to keep the class enthralled with his famous stories of his love for the Detroit Diesel two stroke diesel engine. :stirthepot: :D

Leave it to the Ozzie cowpoke to drive the train off the rails! :)

Bringing this back to the top, there has been some interest in this class, and there are still some spots left.

Hi folks, I know all the focus is on Steve Watkins and the "Great Texas Scrape IV", but don't forget the Northeast Scrape II in Springfield VT is coming up in April, we still need some more people to make it happen. If you are interested send me a message.

C'mon 3212B send in your deposit. I know you want to attend.
Springfield in April will be a lot more pleasant than Anchorage that time of year! Besides you need vacation. I'll even let you stay here in my storage container. Plus You can drive us back & forth :)

Last edited:
How many spots left?

Yup, maple sugarmaking may still be happening in late April, but prob best not to drive your rental on dirt roads then....:)

We sure do.....send me a note [email protected]

Here is a typical class schedule:

Still need a few more students so we can confirm that the class will be held.

We will tell you where to buy or how to make a hand scraper, I will furnish most of the tools and supplies needed. I also will have a few spare hand scrapers, but hopefully you will make or buy your own before the class.

I will teach you how to hand scraper, Biax Power scrape, hand and power 1/2 moon flake, how to straighten and scape a gib, how to install and scrape Rulon 142 Teflon wear-strip material, basic leveling and alignment techniques, how to sharpen a scraper blade, much misc. rebuilding Tricks of the Trade.

You will bring along your own personal project or we will supply you one. Most bring an angle block or Straight-edge, lathe compound, lathe cross-slide, milling machine table, cast iron surface plate, etc.

We will chat before the class so I know what your bringing and we will be sure to have everything ready so you can do your project.

Time table for class is: Meet and Greet meeting on day 1 and have a 1/2 day class or lecture, rest of day 1 is dedicated to get you started hand scraping a test block I supply for the class. Day 2 is to learn to hand scrape, hand 1/2 moon flake, Biax Power Flaking and 1/2 moon flaking, How to sharpen the blades. Day 3 - 5 we start to work and hopefully finish on your project, leveling and alignment, show how or talk about: 2 colar test on a lathe and facing test, how to measure or test a milling machine, how to work on a gib, how to use Rulon 142 or Turcite B wear strip material, tricks of the trade I can teach you that I have learned how in my 50+ years experience of being a Machine Rebuilder and Builder. Take tour of Hosts Gear making shop and take a after hours tour of the Museum.

Day 5 -last 1/4 day Clean up host shop, graduation and receive a certificate that you attended the class.

Our host at Gear Makers is also looking for qualified people to help with mechanical rebuilds and scraper hands. Rich

Have you ever wanted to see how a gear is made? Ever wanted to learn how to repair the gib on your Mill or Lathe?
Interested in learning how to level and align a lathe even when the bed is worn? Would you like to know what to look for when your buying a used machine? Learn these things plus learn to hand scrape, hand 1/2 moon flaking, BIAX Power scraping and 1/2 moon flaking. How to glue on Turcite and scrape it? Learn how to install spindle bearings? Meet other people from all over the USA, Canada and Europe who are as excited as you are to learn. Several students from other classes have become longtime friends.
If you do sign up for this class. Warren is bringing his Bridgeport and we will be rebuilding it in the class. You can bring your machine component, straight edge, angle block, cast iron surface plate, etc. I will personally help you scrape it showing you 50+ years of knowledge and tricks of the trade. Please join us! Rich

Richard, Your class has peaked my interest as learning this subject matter has been on my bucket list for quite sometime. It's great that the class is offered in the North East. Thanks for for the detailed description of what's covered. Any spots left?

Yes we have 4 left. Were about 1/2 way to say it's a for sure class. It's a great place to learn:-)
PM one of us with your regular email and we can email you info. Thanks, Rich

PS: I see your new to the forum. Check down the lists of old threads and you can learn alot. The Studer thread has a lot of info that you will enjoy reading.

Yes.. very new to the forum as I am Plastic. Thanks for referring me to the Studer thread. Very enjoyable reading indeed. It gave me a very good insight as to what to expect from the class. Being a part of it will not disappoint. Very cool stuff! Thanks! -Bob

Just a reminder that there are still some spots open for this class. If you have any interest please send me a PM
Thanks
Warren

Best laid plans

Just a reminder that there are still some spots open for this class. If you have any interest please send me a PM
Thanks
Warren
I am extremely bummed that I MAY not be able to rejoin you all for Round 2. My High School Robotics team may be at World's Finals in Detroit, which would also be great. But missing the class is bittersweet. Kind of like watching your mother-in-law drive off a cliff, in your new car. If I can, I may stop by for a few on the last day or so. Thanks Warren and gang for getting this together. Still scraping my Bridgeport between boy projects. Regards, Mark

Time is getting short here, less than a month till the class. There are still a few spots left. If you want the get in a class this year in the US this may be your last chance. Richard has told me he is booked up the rest of the year.

Contact Richard or myself for details if you are interested.

Warren

Back