What's new
What's new

Tailstock alignment method-different??

We did this in old mr, kings class. I was shocked to learn that gravity pulls the indicator down when going up side down. Making for a error.
Sorry I don't have a better way to help you.

Sure that will get you close enough , I prefer using a coaxial mounted to spindle/chuck. Eliminates ant drooping. Probably doesn't matter whether you indicate of face, quill or center because 0 is 0. Unless something was damaged or replaced they all should be close to each other, less than .0001" or two from factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally I like Keith Fenner's videos, but I must admit that I was negatively surprised by that segment: why would you ever want to reduce your accuracy by more than five folds. Ples, Like Bimikkalson said, sweeping the indicators in that way, you risk to have errors in reading larger than what you want to measure, caused by the weight-deflection of the indicator.
I cannot find any single reason why that method could be preferable in any case. If your bed is so badly worn that you wouldn't get accurate enough readings, it would behave even worse when you're cutting anything.

Actually, in order to align the tailstock, the bar doesn't even need to be perfectly cylindircal: you measure near the headstock, you flip the bra end-to-end and you measure near the tailstock.
If the bar is long enough (like the one Keith had) and the tailstock is not too far from being aligned, you're probably close enough with a single iteration (i.e. you adjust the tailstock exactly to the value you measured at the headstock).

Paolo

Is this another common method used by professionals?

Um, No, this is an absolutely asinine method developed by someone who has way more free time than brains.:willy_nilly:
Talk about reinventing the wheel. I can't think of a more ridiculous, difficult, and inaccurate way do perform a very simple operation.

No. That's retarded.

A test cut/two collar test is what I use. Most of the machines I work on are big and have no provision for a center in the headstock.

When I need a center at the headstock end on my bigger lathe, I just chuck stock and cut a center. As long as I don't remove it from chuck seems accurate enough for me.

Lucky7

Back