Is there an easier way to retain an oil film then scraping? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hate to Blow my own horn Phil.
    But for you people who have never met me, you can advance to minute 11. You can see how I feel about teaching my profession. I am sorry I come off as a bully sometimes. I have been scraping for over 50 years and teaching for around 40. I try to show everyone the best way. I literally love my job and teaching people.
    Richard King Scraping and Machine Rebuilding Class - May 217 - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard King View Post
    Hate to Blow my own horn Phil.
    But for you people who have never met me, you can advance to minute 11. You can see how I feel about teaching my profession. I am sorry I come off as a bully sometimes. I have been scraping for over 50 years and teaching for around 40. I try to show everyone the best way. I literally love my job and teaching people.
    Richard King Scraping and Machine Rebuilding Class - May 217 - YouTube
    Rich, you need not apologize, just do what you do and that is all needed. People will question everything no matter what, all the time, that is the nature of the beast. I learned over the years if no one questions what i do, than it is not radical enough. If everyone questions what I do I better have the goods to defend it prove them wrong, or admit that they are right. Not too many other choices out there.

dee
    ;-D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Maybe ego is a wrong choice of words Dee. I think you get my drift though. You need to have plenty of self confidence without drifting over the border line into arrogance. I had the mind set that I could do any job until the job proved I couldn't. I always wanted to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. I didn't beat my chest about my ability but I knew I was pretty good at what I was doing. I always wanted to be the best. To be honest I wasn't the best but that didn't stop me trying.

Regards Tyrone.
    I get it. More of what I am trying to do is to find a balance between self reliance and collaborative thinking. That is a very delicate balance. I agree, one should never approach any task with defeat in mind, but when I get stuck I always look for the ones who can get me unstuck. You guys have provided that push many a times. I approach things the same in my professional life, I value more the things I not yet know, but forced to learn, than the tings I already know. I always look for the things I have to figure out, If I can show or explain something to someone, that is a task I can delegate. You cannot delegate things you do not understand. On the flip side I gladly take direction from someone, who can clearly explain what, how and when. And yes, a job done is better than a job abandoned, and job done will improve the next time. I work on things you cannot physically touch, most of the time if you do not even notice that they exist, then they are perfect. I do not actually make any of the stuff, I have teams that I have to coordinate to make things. For me making physical objects is the antidote to my professional life.

dee
    ;-D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all need to learn to answer questions from those around us who have different limits on their learning, the ways that they learn, or their different work history. I have gotten questions from much younger people that at first thought were not too bright, but in another instant you can find something of value. A civilized explanation is much less likely to turn off the desire to learn.
    After a lifetime on a farm around dogs and lots of horses, they learn better with trust and respect for each other.
    Best regards,
    Bob

5. Likes otter, AlexO liked this post