What's new
What's new

UK source for oil felt/wool wicks?

Symon

Plastic
Hi all :)

I've just recently got my hands on a heavy, lovely Archdale 18" vertical mill. I see on here they have a 'meh' sort of rep but it's awesome and built like a tank.

Anywho, I'm in the process of cleaning it up and I'm on to the little oil wells. I've searched all over for oil wicks and the best I can find is a supplier in the US. Great price but the shipping between our two great countries is very high.

Does anyone know of a good UK supplier? There must be somewhere :confused:

Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Well, onwards...looking for a reasonably priced operators and maintenance manual :)

Collector told me once he bought wicks used in kerosene lamps they use for camping and I have used pipe cleaners. Over here they sell 2 size pipe cleaners. I was looking for pipe cleaners on the web just now and found this for you. These guys are in West Yorkshire, UK too!
Wick Application Pipecleaner & Flexistem | Hewitt & Booth : Hewitt and Booth

Awesome!

I'll contact them to make sure it's the right kind of felt (as standard PCs wouldn't work) and see if the sell small amounts. They look like I'd have to buy 100ft of the stuff. Ha!

Fingers crossed :)

Thanks again :)

I never thought of oil burners as is suspected they'd have different viscosity in the oils used. But it kinda makes sense.

look out for pipe cleaners, they have twisted steel wires down the middle, so if the design is one that is supposed to have the wick touch the journal (or if it COULD), you don't want to use a pipe cleaner.

Back