What's new
What's new

Using Moglice Foe A Nut

SIP6A

Titanium
Does anybody here have any experience using Moglice to make a nut for the cross feed screw on a lathe? This one has an odd thread and this might be an option rather than make a special tap (9/16 8 or 16 LH ACME)

I'm interested in this topic as well.

My Mazak Ace has a 18mm cross slide screw with about .030 "slop". even with the back lash adjustment screw cranked down to distort the split nut..
I've thought to make a new nut, as the variation in lost travel is not so great over the travel of the screw to put the responsibility on the screw. I've read about the possibility of a Moglice "injection", but I've not read of any reports from users.

I've cast plenty of them for slides, nuts and racks. Long time ago, back when I was still working in new machine manufacture. Back then it was another manufacturer. SKC-7 was the product we used.

Don't even think about it, unless you have re-cut the screw. To gospel accuracies. Clearance on the moulding is controlled by the film thickness of the release agent. Cast it on a worn section of the screw, it will bind. Cast it on an un-worn section, your no better off than a new nut screw cut out of Phos or Ali bronze.

I'd suggest its almost more work to cast it than conventionally machine a new nut. Thread milling kills it for convenience. Maybe because I sub that work out.

Casting a nut in the machine, means ports / channels to inject the mud. Out of the machine, its a vessel to represent the nut shape, and post cast machining.

Regards Phil

Last edited:
Does anybody here have any experience using Moglice to make a nut for the cross feed screw on a lathe? This one has an odd thread and this might be an option rather than make a special tap (9/16 8 or 16 LH ACME)

What Phil (machtool) just said about dead-consistent screw ELSE bind.

Most polymers will bind better than they will manage working loads - witness the prevalence of "Nylock" nuts where a rather small slice of Nylon does a good deal of work.

The other thing - Nylon and other nuts having been around for Donkey's Years, electrics field mainly - is that they typically need a longer bearing length to not deform or partially strip and jam from overloads than metal ones need. Longer length makes any binding issues worse.

There are bound to be exotic, filled, polymers in industry that can do a credible job. Moglice just isn't one of them.

It was formulated to slide a load under high compressive stress, not to (also) stand up to shear as in a screw or nut.

Ignorant Bronze will get the job done with less plotting, scheming, and risk of failure. No need to 'make' taps unless you need 'many' nuts, not one.

Someone, somewhere, has them "for hire" as to making a nut FOR us. Or single-pointing. Or Thread-milling. Either one to a better standard than I care to try to do.

the strength of any plastic is not enough unless it has large surface area. it would quickly fail on a regular nut
if nut was much longer and had 10x greater contact area it might work

The guy who I ground a Monarch bed for did this. Made a nut for his cross slide out of Moglice.

I guess it can work just fine, you don't have massive weight or pressure there.

If in 5 years it wears, do a new one.

Phil said:
to inject the mud

Side story regarding Mud. As long as I've been in the industy, down under we called Moglice or SKC Magic Mud.
Its an incredible product when used correctly. Squirting it around a worn feed screw isn't one of them.

Ford Motor Company Geelong Tool Room used to say they were the biggest in the Southern hemisphere. They had 3 x Waldrich Coburg portal mills similar to this. 27 metres of bed.

waldrich-coburg-17-10-fp-400-nc-portal-milling-machine-p50908135_3.jpg

Once a decade we used to pop the tables off, dual 6 metre tables that could be coupled together.And re-level & align them. Piano Wire and levels, than we would shoot them with a laser once done. Then plonk the tables back on.

home-slider-1.jpg

The entire length of the tables was Moglice faced racks. As per above Picture. Ford riggers managed to drop one of the tables, and it happened to land right on that rack. Slow drop as far as dropping expensive things go. Not like a rig snapped. We had this elevated platform / ladder. It landed right on the ladder. Chipped teeth out of the rack. Crane brake was just shagged.

I molded a new 1m rack section off the drive pinion. Took a lot of metrology and fixturing. Plus plenty of grey hair. 10 years on, I miss those jobs. There was obscene amounts of money in it. Waldrich do as the Germans do, 12 metres of new rack. 26 weeks delivery, 3 weeks installation. North of $250k USD. We worked night and day and had it running in 7 days.

Regards Phil.

Back