What's new
What's new

Victor lathe restore

jlmtb1

Plastic
Over the past month or two I've cleaned stripped repainted and polished my victor lathe I purchased. I thought I would share since the few issues I had were sorted out by some members on here.
Fixed the auto oiler in the apron and also the auto feed stop. So everything works as it should now and I'm pretty happy with the results and keen to get turning. Thanks again for the help

Before
df795675def9127816e2f1fb3948c4f9.jpg
ed0035af1eabf66ab8e95457c506eb3d.jpg

During
08e185e47d4ae6e9c4f11ddc45e6c287.jpg

And the finished job
a8bf1c833315fc9a20f4364bd1ce1234.jpg
c46ef6069c143e83eec6a430ff10ac58.jpg
8fb31f9b7ecf99e1be1eecdaf09aabc5.jpg
9cfab17f0415f470bce60aba622a01f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice paint job. The previous owner was a bit careless with it looking at the amount of " Chuck Rash " on display on the saddle/tool post.

Show me a guy who say's he's never had a " coming together" with the chuck and I'll show you a man who's " economical with the truth ".
Show me a guy who's done it more than once and you're showing me a careless operator.

Regards Tyrone.

Very nice paint job. The previous owner was a bit careless with it looking at the amount of " Chuck Rash " on display on the saddle/tool post.

Show me a guy who say's he's never had a " coming together" with the chuck and I'll show you a man who's " economical with the truth ".
Show me a guy who's done it more than once and you're showing me a careless operator.

Regards Tyrone.

True. The first one wonderfully sharpens one's attention skills.

Regards Tyrone.

Some of us are slow learners :fight:

OP, great looking repaint! Someday soon I plan to post up some pictures of my LeBlond restore; what I would call a complete functional restore (rescraped, repainted, bushed worn shafts/handles/etc, a few new gears in the headstock)... it's all complete except the headstock gears and possible tailstock work (need to get gears in to turn a stub to compare alignment etc).

Some of us are slow learners :fight:

OP, great looking repaint! Someday soon I plan to post up some pictures of my LeBlond restore; what I would call a complete functional restore (rescraped, repainted, bushed worn shafts/handles/etc, a few new gears in the headstock)... it's all complete except the headstock gears and possible tailstock work (need to get gears in to turn a stub to compare alignment etc).

If you've had more than one crash the first one wasn't scary enough. Smiley face.

Regards Tyrone.

How bad are normally such crashes? Of course each is unique but is it like automatic spindle pulling and bearing replacement or what you do and what is common outcome? New bearings and straightening the spindle?
I've looked at a few school machines and passed as most were severely damaged on the cross slide.

How bad are normally such crashes? Of course each is unique but is it like automatic spindle pulling and bearing replacement or what you do and what is common outcome? New bearings and straightening the spindle?
I've looked at a few school machines and passed as most were severely damaged on the cross slide.

Not ordinarily any damage to spindle or bearings at all from most of those. Even the chuck body and jaws just treat it as one more interrupted cut and blindly hammer away.

Cross usually survives as ugly but still competent. Compound usually still holds toolposts well-enough. Mostly those scars just say "carelessness dropped in for a visit and left his calling card".

SERIOUS "crashes" often leave far less obvious evidence, sometimes none that is externally visible at all. Gots to check gears, bearings, chucks, spindle & nose-art mountups with metrology gear to find the damage.

Certain lathes have HS to bed mounting methods than can even be knocked off long-axis, for example. Others, not so much, short of explosives.

I can't recall many serious crashes that involved just running into the chuck. Normally most people are wide awake enough to knock the feed lever off as soon as they hear the dreaded hammering.

Spindles are pretty hard to bend under usual machining conditions. I've only dealt with a few in 40 odd years. One I recall was caused by some idiot trying to stretch ( straighten ) a large shaft with an hydraulic Jack between chuck and tailstock centre.

Regards Tyrone.

Have a 1m version of that series 2 Victor...and crashed - the spindles are bendable unfortunately. Distributor here shut up shop 4 or 5 years ago now, all spares went to the scrappie too.

Back