What's new
What's new

Videos with sraping content by Wes Johnson

Forrest Addy

Diamond
I don;t know if this has been posted before,. If not here you go. If so, sorry about the redudency but here';s a refresher:

wes johnson scraping - YouTube

I like the way Wes Johnson, works. He's quick and efficient and doesn't start finish scraping until after he gets his rough coverage.

He has a number of other videos as well but there's another dude named Wes Johnson plugging the bandwidth.

Rich, is this guy one of your students?

I'm a good ol' boy
You know my momma loves me
But she don't understand
They keep a showin' my hands
And not my face on TV

I viewed Wes's series of 4 videos on replacing the bearings on his lathe headstock. He goes about it in a straightforward workmanlike manner focusing on critical steps instead of a tedious how-to . You see the technique of inspection and diagnosis, removing and installing tight fitting parts, working out installation settings for proper preload, and how he suggests the order and sequence of doing so. He also mentions working from scanty documentation and cautions against over-eager approaches.

The man's a skilled mechanic and his moves are worth studying. Like Wes, I would not advise anyone undertake replacing headstock bearings as a first project. I would instead start small like rebuild an a standard transmission then work up to an automatic transmission. The lessons of cleanliness, ordered procedure, tools and technique apply from simple to complex.

Skill, like Rome was not built in a day. Remember the 10,000 hour rule.

Not being any sort of expert, I like the angle plate video. Straightforward, he does the same sort of sequence and stages of work that I do, except I do not yet do two color contrast. But I might start doing it, since I like the result.

I see he is another who does not particularly like Canode. And for many of the same reasons I don't like it.

I am surprised at the use of concrete colorant, which I would have thought was not suitable, but I am not going to argue with success.

I try to warn folks not to tear into a spindle without the required skills, but I do think a lot of people are very intimidated by spindle bearings. The internet is chuck full of bad information. A well meaning guy reads a few forum posts and now he thinks he can't possibly replace his spindle bearings without a $.5 million clean room and at least one PhD.

The OEMs don't help the situation either. I've never seen a machine tool manual that really told the average guy how to setup his spindle bearings. It's secret tribal knowledge.

I try to warn folks not to tear into a spindle without the required skills, but I do think a lot of people are very intimidated by spindle bearings. The internet is chuck full of bad information. A well meaning guy reads a few forum posts and now he thinks he can't possibly replace his spindle bearings without a $.5 million clean room and at least one PhD.

The OEMs don't help the situation either. I've never seen a machine tool manual that really told the average guy how to setup his spindle bearings. It's secret tribal knowledge.

Wes, speaking of spindles, what do you think about bringing older high-speed spindles for ID grinders and VMC's back to life after they've been sitting a while? Most I have are oil mist lubricated, so presumably no dried grease to worry about, but what other "gotchas" are there?

Is Rich the bloke who invented scraping ?

Nah. Even as to "online personality", he weren't the first... Genghis Kahn, Attila the Hun, Vlad Tepes... 40 years in the wilderness...that little plumbing problem Noah had to deal with..

Some folks just get pissed-off more easily than others.

:)

and at least one PhD.
Kluber packages those so you don't have to render 'em in a pot, kitchen stovetop, DIY and piss-off the Ladyfolk.

They aren't WRONG, "technically" about cleanrooms and similar.

"Economically", OTOH? What d'you have to lose for trying?

Work indoors, not in a sandstorm. Common sense as to clean as can be HAD, not careless and dirty.

Odds are pretty good that decent care in handling will yield a useful improvement.

"Perfect?" OK. They sell that, too. Or charge for it.

But what's the payback time on it?

If I had to pay Fischer Spindle to rebuild a Precise grinder, I'd be ahead to just ebay it and send the work out instead.

Wes, speaking of spindles, what do you think about bringing older high-speed spindles for ID grinders and VMC's back to life after they've been sitting a while? Most I have are oil mist lubricated, so presumably no dried grease to worry about, but what other "gotchas" are there?

As long as the air-oil system is working, there's not that much to worry about. The problem is if the seals were compromised and there was contamination before the bearings sat for a long time.

Kluber packages those so you don't have to render 'em in a pot, kitchen stovetop, DIY and piss-off the Ladyfolk.

They aren't WRONG, "technically" about cleanrooms and similar.

"Economically", OTOH? What d'you have to lose for trying?

Work indoors, not in a sandstorm. Common sense as to clean as can be HAD, not careless and dirty.

Odds are pretty good that decent care in handling will yield a useful improvement.

"Perfect?" OK. They sell that, too. Or charge for it.

But what's the payback time on it?

If I had to pay Fischer Spindle to rebuild a Precise grinder, I'd be ahead to just ebay it and send the work out instead.

Nice post ! I saw "Kluber" , saw red and felt the need to mention this : always be very careful with Kluber products. They recommend their stuff for anything under the Sun but in some instances that's plain wrong. For lower speed stuff ( milling spindles etc ) I would stay away from Kluber. Much better stuff out there. Kluber seems to favor very low viscosity oils - not good for shock loads. Neither load nor 4 ball or Timken test is available for their stuff. NB15 which everybody uses does not seem to like vertical applications in my experience and did far worse in router spindles than SKF.

Nah. Even as to "online personality", he weren't the first... Genghis Kahn, Attila the Hun, Vlad Tepes... 40 years in the wilderness...that little plumbing problem Noah had to deal with..

Some folks just get pissed-off more easily than others.

:)

Well, when you teach practically the entire Industrial World, that's excusable. :)

Well, when you teach practically the entire Industrial World, that's excusable. :)
Internet can be like a drug. For some folk it is a TOXIC one.

I've been on the phone with Rich. He's not a bad guy. "Perfect"? Who TF is?

Online forums are just not something he should do is all.

Wastes the pig and annoys your time.

Back