What's new
What's new

Vintage motor lead replacement

motryguy

Plastic
I have an old woods 3 phase motor that I’d like to restore. It is for a direct drive jointer and I’d rather not change the motor since the motor is made for the machine and don’t want to convert it in any ways if I can help it. Getting into the motor it’s obvious the leads are old and crunchy and unsafe. I’d like tease out all the leads and add longer new condition leads. I’m not opposed to take it to a motor shop but I’d like to do it myself if it’s reasonable. From other forums I’ve learned to ask
1. What kind of wire
2. How to connect the wire
3. How to insulate.

Thanks. Philip

I have an old woods 3 phase motor that I’d like to restore. It is for a direct drive jointer and I’d rather not change the motor since the motor is made for the machine and don’t want to convert it in any ways if I can help it. Getting into the motor it’s obvious the leads are old and crunchy and unsafe. I’d like tease out all the leads and add longer new condition leads. I’m not opposed to take it to a motor shop but I’d like to do it myself if it’s reasonable. From other forums I’ve learned to ask
1. What kind of wire
2. How to connect the wire
3. How to insulate.

Thanks. Philip

T. B. Woods & Sons were a fair-decent quality house. These leads don't look all that terrible.

I'd be tempted to just coat them and sleeve them as the route least likely to do more harm than good.

Otherwise -> motor shop.

If they break a lead, anything they might need is on-hand, expertise most of all. They are in waay better position to repair whatever turns up.

Yeah, I'd recommend taking it to a motor shop. A good shop will do a lot more than just solder on new wires when releading. And they can totally fix any issues that might arise during the process.

Back