What's new
What's new

Webster & Bennett rapid feed not working

Christie

Plastic
Hello, I have a Webster & Bennett 36" vertical bore and I rotated the Chuck manually in the wrong direction and now rapids does not work. There is a plate on the machine warning the if you rotate it in wrong direction it will damage feed gears. Can anyone advise on how I can fix it.

Hello, I have a Webster & Bennett 36" vertical bore and I rotated the Chuck manually in the wrong direction and now rapids does not work. There is a plate on the machine warning the if you rotate it in wrong direction it will damage feed gears. Can anyone advise on how I can fix it.

Is the machine a " D " type ( a cluster of levers by the operators station ) or a " DH " type ( hydraulic controls on a console ) ?

I can't see any reason why the RPT won't work. It's driven by an electric motor through a " Taylor " clutch and down to the gearbox on the side of the cross rail where the two hand wheels are. You select the direction of Feed/RPT with the lever between the hand wheels. On the old machines you engage the RPT clutch with a lever, on the newer machines the clutch is engaged hydraulically.

The feed box is a separate issue to the RPT. There's a one way star wheel type clutch in the feed box. The feed box sends the feed motion up to the cross rail gearbox via the feed shaft that runs up the side of the machine.

Regards Tyrone.

Back