What's new
What's new

What to use as (spindle oil filter) felt?

ballen

Diamond
I want to replace this felt 18mm (3/4") diameter x 1.5 mm (1/16") thick. It's for a 2500 rpm grinder wheelhead bronze spindle bearing, fed by a continuous oil pump. The oil is Mobil Velocite No 3. What replacement material should I use? Cotton or wool or polyester, any particular brand or type or ???

attachment.php

attachment.php

The felt is captured between the two fine-mesh metal screens.

It looks like it's designed to function as a fine filter. With that in mind (and if true) you could consider modern filter materials. I don't know offhand what particle size different things block, but you might be able to find that somewhere and make a choice. It looks like a miniature version of the big funnel milk filter we had as a kid. Two perforated plates with a paper filter disk between and all fixed by a large internal snap ring. Well, probably 3/16" round rod formed into the circle with finger grips.

So, coffee filter?

ballen --

I've always heard that white wool felt was the gold standard for oiler felts, so I'd lean in that direction.

For your application, I suspect that flow rate will be at least as important as filtering effectiveness, and oil retention is wholly moot. I think you'd be wise to check the flow rate through whatever filter material you use, as seemingly-similar materials can have widely varying flow rates.

John

Back