What's new
What's new

What are You Scraping On??

Richard King

Diamond
To all my students and un-students, I haven't seen anyone talk about scraping lately so I am curious what the heck have you scraped lately?

I know several of you have bought or made straight-edges and have talked about scraping your mill, grinder, surface plate, etc. in emails or other threads, so lets tell all here..

Lets keep the "art of scraping and rebuilding" alive and tell everyone what you're doing and what you have learned while scraping. Please post some pictures or a link to your pictures. I like to have future students read the forum and lately now everyone has either been busy with the summer, swamped with work or gotten so good you don't need any help. Lets share what you have learned so far.
Thanks. Rich

About to pull the trigger on a dvd, then the tools, and a chunk of durabar for a small straight-edge/prism for dovetails.

After thats done I intend to tackle my LeBlond cross-slide first (it's in the worst shape), then the rest of the lathe, then maybe eventually a touch-up on my Index mill. IT's in pretty good shape but does have a little wear on it.

Rich, if I recall correctly you posted a couple months ago that you can sell the DVD direct to forum members for a lower price than the ebay price? I may be dreaming, I've had so much on my mind lately... just wanted to double-check.

Current jobs are an exercise in frustration but rather educational.

I've got an angled straightedge that needs final scraping. The references were Brown & Sharp 36" straightedge, narrower than the new one, and a small surface plate (12 x 18), wide enough but too short. So I'd been working the bottom surface of the new tool by reference to the B&S. Looked good end to end and across the width until I crosschecked with the surface plate and found it badly dished in the center. Shouldn't have been a surprise.

So I recently bought a larger surface plate that can print the full surface of the new straightedge. This was working out nicely until the Biax began making making funny noises. That turned out to be the rear motor bearing that finally upchucked. Disassembly showed a need to clean all the years of crap out of it so it's much happier now except for the bearing.

This is an old, old blue model and I haven't yet found bearings in the US. Checking the web I found overseas suppliers who list them and one dealer in Shanghai quoted reasonable prices but suggested the shipping would be more than the bearings and I should just buy them locally. Yeah, right! I've placed an order for a dozen to replace both in this tool, have some spares and pass some around but haven't gotten an acknowledgement that they'll fulfill the order yet.

So there it is. I've learned some useful things but I'm not through being frustrated yet. I've got another project to follow on that will require a fair amount of scraping but I'd prefer not to do it ALL by hand.

To all my students and un-students, I haven't seen anyone talk about scraping lately so I am curious what the heck have you scraped lately?

I know several of you have bought or made straight-edges and have talked about scraping your mill, grinder, surface plate, etc. in emails or other threads, so lets tell all here..

Lets keep the "art of scraping and rebuilding" alive and tell everyone what you're doing and what you have learned while scraping. Please post some pictures or a link to your pictures. I like to have future students read the forum and lately now everyone has either been busy with the summer, swamped with work or gotten so good you don't need any help. Lets share what you have learned so far.
Thanks. Rich

What is this, a daily standup for agile SCRUM scraping? (What is Scrum? An Agile Framework for Completing Complex Projects - Scrum Alliance) "What have you scraped today?, what do you plan to scrape tomorrow? what is your impediment?"

Joking aside...to answer your original question, i use a 3" wise clamped to my woodworking bench for holding smaller pieces like planes and etc. for a larger piece i use a fixture that i clamp to the bench and it allows me to orient the piece in two positions 90 degrees apart. My workbench is kinda low, if i stand next to it the top is at my wrist. Designed for hand planing wood. it is a Krenov style bench.

I am still going through my metal planes and flattening them slowly. got three more to go. fixing the frog seatings etc.

dee
;-D

I am signed up for a class in August and have been slowly working up to tackling some more involved projects. I recently put this compound back together after working on it (slowly) for a few months and it made a world of difference. I know there are areas that could be improved on but overall it is pretty close, at least in terms of my measuring abilities.

scraping-compound-web.jpgP&W slide 1.jpgP&W slide 2.jpg

Well, my Biax is finally here so I am _finally_ back on the Monarch completion! Huzzah! :cool:

Got my transformer box built and it works perfectly. So, my German Biax works perfectly on American 120V. :)

EA7C5EB2-B253-438D-9CE1-1338D4EF39AB_zpsocud0vcn.jpg

13183387_1778828795661847_1659433044_n.jpg

don't you have a coffee table or something to prop it up a few inches? leaning over like that will give you lumbago...

dee
;-D

May have needed two coffee tables! Many table flips and re-bluings later this machine is now running like a swiss watch, and my back is now that much stronger, oh the sacrifices we make . . .

Zahn, remember those tool holder will get you into trouble as they are to stiff. You can mill off .020" at a time to get them thinner. The steel is cold roll and not the tool steel the 150 brazed blade like I had, so don't mill them to thin or they will bend. Chris you will weld up some HD steel horses one of these days or build a wood crib so you can stand up and scrape. But your young and flexible.

Nice to see your powerscraping turcite. Did you grind your insert differently with a more neg Rake?

Thanks everyone for sharing! Rich

Last edited:
Rich, I was sidelined several months ago with severe back aggravation, which detested any forward leaning activities like scraping. I'm about to where I can get back to scraping, but in the mean time, I've been encouraging others and getting them started. There is still lots of interest from both old and new hands that want to learn to scrape and either don't know where to start or have started on their own and have gotten frustrated. I mention your name and recommend your classes every chance I get.

I'm trying to generate some interest with a hobby group here. I did a presentation on scraping a year and a half ago or so, and the reaction was rather ho hum. I had some scrapers and parts to try scraping on and only a couple people even scratched a little.

In retrospect, I think they weren't geared to what THEY could do with scraping. They may have thought of it as a machine rebuilder's skill and they didn't plan any rebuilds. I want to do another session and show how you can buy cheap import cast iron angle plates and tune them into precision tools. And maybe a more interesting project with angle plates. Anyone remember the Bemis Sine fixture? I think they have to see its relevance to them before they really engage with learning anything.

Jan,

Show them how to do the 2 collar test...and how to align their tail-stocks and set gibs. Many people will get more excited with that then scraping. Also talk and show them how to 1/2 moon flake, preventive maintenance, show them how to check wipers by trying to slide a feeler gage under them......etc... I'm talking with a company in OK city and might be doing a 3 or 5 day class there sometime this summer...if I do...maybe you can come and assist...or we can have dinner. Rich

Richard, can you elaborate on thosentool holders being too stiff? I have the same machine as well as a flaker with similar tool holders. Should I not use then but something else? Still scraping manually so I have not yet started to power scrape. [emoji3]

I have a bridgeport in a zillion pieces, I have some of the preliminary stuff scraped down. I decided to put that on hold until I complete Richard's class in Vermont this fall.

I also have a couple of cast iron squares sitting here. I need find a used wood workers vise that the owner does not think is made of gold. That would be perfect for holding things at the correct comfortable height.

Back