What's new
What's new

Where to buy CI Bar in Ont., Canada?

hammertownhead

Plastic
I'm a scraping newb and I am looking to find a place in Ontario that will sell small amounts of CI Bar so I can start learning to scrape by making a prism?
I've done some reading through the forums and see that A40(not sure what this is) and G2 cast iron are recommended for making straight edges.
Is the CI at mcmastercarr meet these grades?
Alot of companies aren't interested in selling small amounts.

I did get a response from terra, but they indicated that they mainly deal with machine shops......so felt I was getting the brush off..

The TSME list says no minimum. They are hobbyists so small quantities.

Try speaking with a human there, might go better than email.

Just be reasonable and recognise that if your order is less than a couple of hundred dollars, you're wasting their time. I have happy memories of riding my 250CC Honda back home from the supplier in Birmingham with 150lb of cast iron strapped behind me on the seat and luggage rack.:D

Gotcha, I tried calling but their phones were down....might be best to stop by w cash like the TSME site says....thanks for the info :)

Yeah, I completely understand, I'm not worth their time at all....so was trying to be patient and respectful.
Talked w Terra today, Mike is a nice guy and helping me out.

McMaster's material is G2 Durabar.
His problem with McMaster will be the expensive border between the 2 countries. Esp if UPS who charge based on the most expensive option including value of goods.

Is G2 Durabar an acceptable grade for scrapping?
McMaster is delivered to my shop everyday :D.

We may have different interpretations of the term acceptable for scraping, though I recommend that cold rolled steel is usable in a pinch. It leaves a nasty burr at the end of every stride of the blade, It lacks elasticity qualities of CI where and inadvertent ping to the piece will pertinently deform the shape.

See if store has what you are after Coreprint Castings – Castings.

Forget scraping steel. Learn cast iron and turcite or other plastic first. I wouldn't bother with durabar, I'd just contact Jonathan at Coreprint and buy one of his 24" SE's. I bought two to use as parallels and found they machine and scrape well. Bonus: he's just around the corner from you :-) He also sells 8" x 16" angle castings which is also a fun project.

Lucky7

I ordered a straight edge from CorePrint yesterday and I plan to machine and practice scrapping it in this fall, then set is outside for the winter and spring to season and finish it next summer.

Thanks mentioning coreprint!!

mcmaster has a office in ontario. so tariffs are non existence when buying from them. shipping is still shipping.

Back