What's new
What's new

Who does table and way grinding on Bridgeports in the Florida/Georgia area ?

Daveinjax

Plastic
Contemplating a complete rebuild on a Bridgeport and looking for someone to grind the badly worn ways. Any ballpark price for grinding only no flaking or finish scraping ? I just want to know my options as a new or like new machine is out of my financial reach but I can devote time to a project.

I would think you can find a nice tight Knee Mill that is at least or better than a Bridgeport for under what it would cost you in parts (bearings) and grinding to fixe a wore out mill.

You’re probably right but I want to know my options not just guess. I’m also considering that I could spend a ton of time and travel money going to auctions and such with no guarantee I’ll find something that makes me happy. If I buy a basket case for very little and spend all the time and money I would spend chasing a real good machine at a price I can afford and instead spend it on grinding , parts , and invest my time I might be ahead. I really need to know what makes sense for me. I can also control when I spend time if I’m rebuilding , like not missing any paying work to go to an auction. I have a clapped out machine to work with until I can get something less challenging to work around. This is a home shop that doesn’t pay the bills.

7 hour drive NW of Jacksonville FL is a company in Tullahoma TN who could do the complete machine. Schmiede Corporation | Rebuild, Retrofit, & Remanufacture

I also asked one of my friends who lives in FL to comment. He had a Lathe bed ground by someone else...will cut and paste his answer if he doesn't write it here when he gets back to me.

EDIT: I got a text from my friend who lives in Jacksonville and he said he could not find anyone closer then SC to grind his lathe bed and he wouldn't recommend them. So keep looking.

Last edited:
I think I can get this machine for just a little more than scrap metal price so I’m thinking I’ll buy it and then think some more. If I decide I don’t want to rebuild it I can scrap it and not be out too much. A tank of gas and my time. If I do I’ll be attending a scraping class.

I had a 12" lathe bed ground by Schmiede Corp several years ago and they were reasonable. I would have no problem taking another machine to them. They only did the ways on my lathe, my choice.
Ben

Back