What's new
What's new

Bearing Scrapers

TGTool

Titanium
I was recently given a set of bearing scrapers. They're for large bearings so it's uncertain if I'll have occasion to use them but they're special in another way.

The gentleman who passed them on to me is 89, has an interesting workshop with some machinery he's built himself and a large collection of various types of steam and IC engines he's built. Some were kits and some he just designed and built from odd parts including a brake master cylinder.

He said he got these scrapers when he worked on a Liberty Ship in WW II. The ship had encountered a problem and limped into port where repairs were made. He didn't participate in any scraping, that was done by the engineers though he had a chance to watch. One of them pointed out that the ship had three sets of scrapers on board and that he might need something like that sometime. Soo ... Original box, unused appearance and even includes the original (I presume) rust preventive paper.
Bearing Scrapers.jpg

Yes those are ID or spoon scrapers. A nice set/ Many propeller shafts used babbit. Forrest Addy would be the man to ask about those scrapers as he worked at a shipyard so I bet he has seen those scrapers types of scrapers or worked with the same brand. If they were on the ship they probably used them on many bronze and babbitt bearings through-out the engine room.

We always used Time Savers lapping compound first and then scraped oil pockets in to the bearings with a spoon scraper like those. Look at page 6 of the booklet to see the bearings and the Navy report. http://www.newmantools.com/lapping/timesaver_booklet.pdf Wenever tried it on ways, but used it all the time on punch press journals made from bronze or brass. Rich

I have a set of bearing scrapers that were made for scraping bronze bearings, but nothing as nice as those. Rich

TGTool --

Find myself wondering if the maker, Mound Tool Company, is this Mound Tool Company Butcher Tools by Mound Tool

John

John,

Answer it Yes. I just got this from Mound Tool:
"Hi Jan, yes we manufactured those and it's call Mt31 or Mt2.
Best regards,"

Actually I'm impressed that that they actually answered a query and that they recognized a product from that long ago. I'm not sure what the Mt31 and Mt2 indicate. The set has 3 curved scrapers, a triangular one (deburring tool in my experience) and a small flat one with spatulate ends that needs grinding and honing to be a working tool. It was probably expected that an individual workman would grind a flat or radius to suit.

I work in the marine industry as a port engineer for a hopper dredge; ship repair. Been working in shipyards since the 70's. Was even around long enough to have worked on 1 or 2 Liberty ships and the old T2 tankers.
I havent seen bearings scraped in (usually tailshaft or lineshaft bearings...but ocassionally for large steam powered forced draft fans for boilers) since very early in my career.
It's a cool find and a great gift.
Congratulations!

Back