What's new
What's new

Rebuild Mattison Surface Grinder, another one!

cash

Titanium
Our 14 x 60 Mattison Surface Grinder S/N 24363 which we bought new in 1985 and it saw 2 shifts work for most of the past 25 years. Now it is ready for a re scrape and some other TLC. The last year or so holding size within .001" was not possible. So we have started the process to tear the machine down, regrind the table ways, scrape the bed ways flat then scrape them together. Of course along the way I am sure we will find a couple other issues and fix them as well. Normally we will do a complete clean of the oil lines and rebuild the table cylinders as well.

Most fun I had at IMTS yesterday was stopping by the Biax booth and having Matt there tell me I was only the second guy who was by the booth who had a clue about the scrapers, Richard King got there before me so of course he was #1.

I did some scraping and laid down a couple half moon patterns.

Attachments

• 14x 60 Mattison.jpg
    14x 60 Mattison.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2,102
  • Flay Ways.jpg
    Flay Ways.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,236
  • Vee Ways.jpg
    Vee Ways.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,160
Most fun I had at IMTS yesterday was stopping by the Biax booth and having Matt there tell me I was only the second guy who was by the booth who had a clue about the scrapers, Richard King got there before me so of course he was #1. I did some scraping and laid down a couple half moon patterns.

That was an absolute hoot.

Matt had NO idea that you had a clue, much less that you are as good as you are.
Watching his face and body expression as you went to town on that plate was priceless. I wish I'd've had the foresight to have had my camera out.

Is this the Matti that you were speaking about yesterday? The one in the North end?

I've started doodling a tool for your shim stock. Maybe it'll be ready to use on this Matti job. :) Thanks for the company yesterday. Had an absolute blast.

Our 14 x 60 Mattison Surface Grinder S/N 24363 which we bought new in 1985 and it saw 2 shifts work for most of the past 25 years. Now it is ready for a re scrape and some other TLC. The last year or so holding size within .001" was not possible. So we have started the process to tear the machine down, regrind the table ways, scrape the bed ways flat then scrape them together. Of course along the way I am sure we will find a couple other issues and fix them as well. Normally we will do a complete clean of the oil lines and rebuild the table cylinders as well.

Hopefully you'll be able to find the time to put up as much of the process as you're able. I've gained hugely from your videos etc in the past and appreciate you sharing the information.

As we progress I will take as many photos as I can and explain what we are doing. Right now all looks a mess before things get cleaned and painted.

That was an absolute hoot.

Matt had NO idea that you had a clue, much less that you are as good as you are.
Watching his face and body expression as you went to town on that plate was priceless. I wish I'd've had the foresight to have had my camera out.

Is this the Matti that you were speaking about yesterday? The one in the North end?

I've started doodling a tool for your shim stock. Maybe it'll be ready to use on this Matti job. :) Thanks for the company yesterday. Had an absolute blast.

It was a good time for me as well and it was great going around with somebody who picked up things I would not notice. I am still trying to spin that EDM machine in my head.

There must be 2 Richard King's in the world as i just arrived at the show today (Thursday) ?? So Cash your number 1 !! I will be in the BIAX booth tomorrow afternoon demo-ing the scrapers. I did stop at the Okuma booth and watched their scraper expert. He is showing the Japanese style of hip scraping and lifting at the end of the stroke so no burr is generated. He had a nice pattern. I peaked his interest when I asked him if he had ever 1/2 mooned by hand? So I had to teach him how....was fun. He has been fitting Okuma accessories and doing rebuids for them I think he said for 16 years. Pretty sharp and when he said he also tells his students to pass on the knowledge. :-) If your still at the show or coming stop bye the BIAX booth. Rich

There must be 2 Richard King's in the world as i just arrived at the show today (Thursday) ?? So Cash your number 1 !! I will be in the BIAX booth tomorrow afternoon demo-ing the scrapers. I did stop at the Okuma booth and watched their scraper expert. He is showing the Japanese style of hip scraping and lifting at the end of the stroke so no burr is generated. He had a nice pattern. I peaked his interest when I asked him if he had ever 1/2 mooned by hand? So I had to teach him how....was fun. He has been fitting Okuma accessories and doing rebuids for them I think he said for 16 years. Pretty sharp and when he said he also tells his students to pass on the knowledge. :-) If your still at the show or coming stop bye the BIAX booth. Rich

I wish I would have see that in the Okuma booth. Wednesday was just crazy and I did not see anybody there scraping, darn.

No more days at the show, too much to do back at the shop!!

We are just starting to rough level the machine so it can settle as we clean it up. It was way out of level. As you can see from the pics no matter how good a machine may look it is only once you tear it apart when you get to see how it really looks.

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,164
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,270
We are just starting to rough level the machine so it can settle as we clean it up. It was way out of level. As you can see from the pics no matter how good a machine may look it is only once you tear it apart when you get to see how it really looks.

Thanks again for going to the trouble of putting up details of your rebuilds, I try to soak up as much as I can, and if I can hope to get 1% of the passed on wisdom to stick I think I'll consider myself a fortunate guy.

Do you have an hour meter on this machine, any idea of how many hours led to that extent of wear?

It would have been properly levelled when new I presume, so what has caused this to not be level now? Rust etc?

Pete

No hour meter on the machine. But just figure for 20 years this machine ran 2 shifts solid. The last couple years as we have added some larger machines and our work has shifted a bit it has not see as much use. Different operators have run it which as well I think this is not good as they do not take as good of care of the machine as it is not their daily driver.

Over time the machines will not stay level. I have recently found this out on our large machine we just had to rescrape one of the vee ways. It was installed and leveled a couple years ago. then when we pulled the table to level, it was way off.

I think the foundation may move a bit from being new and settling.

In a perfect world I thin every couple years machines should be re leveled. But on machines where everything has to be taken apart to do this sometimes the call of production does not allow this.

I agree with you about not having a steady operator on a machine. Having a stream of guys working machines that they aren't really familiar with is the No1 cause of machine tool problems in my opinion.

Regards Tyrone.

Over time the machines will not stay level. I have recently found this out on our large machine we just had to rescrape one of the vee ways. It was installed and leveled a couple years ago. then when we pulled the table to level, it was way off.

I think the foundation may move a bit from being new and settling.

In a perfect world I thin every couple years machines should be re leveled. But on machines where everything has to be taken apart to do this sometimes the call of production does not allow this.

Ok that makes sense. I've seen large installations where they'd set basically a steel raft in the foundations to take the load, but even that would likely move a little if what's around it shifted.

In our shop we work on very large cast iron rolls for the mill roll industry, planers, cylindrical grinders and big lathes are the workhorses, we try to level them once a year and they are always off. The floor in our shop has ten feet of fill under 12" concrete and it's still not enough. Heavy parts are hard on stuff.

Back