What's new
What's new

12x42 Thompson Model B surface grinder Portland, OR

Garwood

Diamond
Came from Boeing surplus as working condition. Boeing paid to have the ways redone, lube and electrical updated. I do not know who did the rebuild. This grinder has not been under power for about a decade. It does not have hydraulic fluid in it otherwise it wouldn't be hard to connect to power.

240/480 machine currently wired 480. Contactor coils are 120 for simpler changover if needed.

12X40 electro magnet
5HP spindle motor
Sealed spindle- This is later machine- 60's or newer. The spindle does not use plain bearings.
Extra wheels and mandrels.
Looks pretty (paint is good)

I bought this for a specific use in manufacturing a product. That product's development is a ways down the road still.

I estimate weight between 12K and 15K. 20K Hyster will lift it right at the mast. It is about 10' X 5' x7' tall.

skating/loading can be negotiated. If you are local I could probably get it in your shop for a very low cost. If it needs to go more than a hundred miles or so it will require a forklift rental to load on your truck.

Price is OBO. I would like to get $2k for it as-is. Pictures coming soon.

I'd love to have a Thompson. There is one with a 96" chuck on ebay for cheap, but it weighs 40,000ish and would take up 1/4 of my shop.

This one will only take up 1/8th of your shop then! Perfect size!

Forgot to mention has over wheel dresser and coolant pump/tank.

Boeing dumped a medium sized fortune into this grinder I'm sure.

Back