What's new
What's new

1953 Van Norman No. 12 milling machine and tooling, Tucson, AZ

Cal Haines

Diamond
Van Norman No. 12 vertical/horizontal milling machine - $1500 OBO

A friend of mine passed away and I'm selling this for his widow.

IMG19383r.JPG IMG19382r.JPG IMG19384r.JPG

This version of the No. 12 “Duplex” miller is the last revision of the No. 12 design and incorporates many of the changes for the next generation machine (the No. 16). It is a very capable machine and outperforms a Bridgeport-style machine for all milling operations. The tilting head allows for rapid changes of tool angle, allowing the machine to quickly perform operations that would be much more time consuming on other types of machines.

This machine was built in 1953 and spent most of its life in an Arizona National Guard armory in the northern part of the state, where it appears to have had very little use. Apart from minor damage to the right hand-wheel bracket and some small areas where an inexperienced operator milled into the table, the machine is in very nice condition. It has some minor surface rust as a result of being stored under a carport structure, covered with a tarp.

I helped the late owner clean, lubricate and adjust this machine. We pulled the table and saddle for inspection and checked the cutter-head and both gearboxes. I have over 400 photos of this machine, covering our inspection, etc.

The machine is located in Tucson, Arizona, and is under power. All of the covers are with the machine, but are not installed in the photos.

Brochure: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2109/3402.pdf
Manual: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2109/16545.pdf

Tooling included - 3 (three) Van Norman “C” collets (aka Hardinge 5V): 1/4", 3/8", 1/2"

Van Norman Tooling - sold separately

Note: The tooling for the machine is not available for sale until the machine itself sells. The machine’s buyer will have the first option of buying the tooling. Any tooling not purchased by the buyer will then be available for sale.
IMG19229ed.jpg

Van Norman “C” collets (aka Hardinge 5V) - $30 each
3/16, 3/16*, 5/16, 7/16, 9/16, 9/16*, 5/8. (* = Hardinge, otherwise Van Norman brand)
Horizontal milling arbor, 1" OD by 12", with nut and 6 spacers, some surface rust
Endmill holders, Van Norman “C” shank
Weldon brand 1/2” endmill holder - $75
Unk brand 5/8” endmill holder (shop made ?) - $50
Imported endmill holders - $75 each
8 holders: 3/16”, 1/4”, 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8”, 3/4”, 1”, 1¼”
1/2”, 5/8”, and 1¼” have been lightly used, others are still sealed in original plastic bags.
Imported by Tools4cheap.com

More photos of the machine and tooling here: Google Drive Link

I can be contacted here: CalH401 (at) gmail (dot) com

Cal

Back