What's new
What's new

450 involute gear cutters with free gear cutting machine!

JB Bergman

Hot Rolled
Here is you opportunity to get that gear cutting machine you have always wanted, just in time for Christmas too!
This was great uncle Mikes, I got it and the Pratt vertical shaper from him.
The machine is a Newark, can cut a 36 inch gear with a 6 inch face. I think it is a copy of the B&S machines of the same vintage. It works and works well for what it does. It HAS the usually missing outboard support for big gears. Also included are the arbors for the gear blanks, arbors for the cutters a large group of indexing change gears and speed change gears.
The best part is the 450 plus involute gear cutters that have been properly stored through the years. The largest are 3 or 4 pitch down to 48 pitch. Keep the cutters you need and sell the rest! I need the space and don't have the time. I can give the new owner a couple good ideas for customers, not lots of easy money, just over looked repair work.
2200.00 for it all. Come and get it.
JB BergmanNewark Gear Cutter 009.jpgNewark Gear Cutter 011.jpgNewark Gear Cutter 010.jpgNewark Gear Cutter 012.jpg

:confused:

That appears to be a gear hobbing machine. The cutters you are showing are not hobs. I don't think they go together unless I'm missing something.

Can you explain how? I've never seen it done. Do you disable one axis?

Seems like it defeats the purpose of having a gear hob machine.

Can you explain how?
Blank goes on upper arbor/mandrel that can slide up and down column

Form (not hob) cutter goes on lower arbor in carriage that feeds it across face of blank

No doubt has auto indexing which is the why of change wheels

ewlsey, it is a gear cutter. Not a Hob. The Brown & Sharpe machines were called "Spur Only" Gear Cutting machines. Hence, the Involute Form Mills. It is not Hobbing when it mills, and is more similar to a Horizontal Milling machine set up to mill Spur Gears. If one has the mills they need, it can mill some fairly large teeth well suited to slow moving machinery. ( and typical of the era of origin ) Pretty cool example, there.
icon14.png

Here is you opportunity to get that gear cutting machine you have always wanted, just in time for Christmas too!
This was great uncle Mikes, I got it and the Pratt vertical shaper from him.
The machine is a Newark, can cut a 36 inch gear with a 6 inch face. I think it is a copy of the B&S machines of the same vintage. It works and works well for what it does. It HAS the usually missing outboard support for big gears. Also included are the arbors for the gear blanks, arbors for the cutters a large group of indexing change gears and speed change gears.
The best part is the 450 plus involute gear cutters that have been properly stored through the years. The largest are 3 or 4 pitch down to 48 pitch. Keep the cutters you need and sell the rest! I need the space and don't have the time. I can give the new owner a couple good ideas for customers, not lots of easy money, just over looked repair work.
2200.00 for it all. Come and get it.
JB BergmanView attachment 186510View attachment 186511View attachment 186512View attachment 186513

Dang, another old tool I have no need for, no space for, and no time for; but really want. It is a good thing you are 813 miles away.

CarlBoyd

Think of this as a horizontal mill with an automated dividing head. The large gear on the left end is on the work spindle and is driven by a worm that that indexes the work spindle. Change gears set the number of divisions. In operation, the machine makes a pass thru the blank, the cutter slide returns to the start position, the work indexes and the cutter slide advances the tool thru the blank again. rinse and repeat until the entire gear is cut.

B&S, Newark and Cincinnati made similar machines. Both Newark and B&S used pretty much the same patterns for their gear cutter and hobbers. B&S made a version that had an inclinable cutter slide so that bevel gears could be cut using involute space cutters as well. The best thing about these machines is that they have huge capacity for their footprint.

If someone needs to cut roller chain sprockets these things are the cats meow- \

Dan

How do you set the divisions for the automatic indexing? Will it do all tooth numbers or does it skip some numbers?

Ok to clarify a few questions! This should really be called a "Newark Automatic Spur Gear (only)Cutting Machine". Ewlsey, sorry if I sounded testy! John O asked me to check the cutting diameter, I am looking for the manual I have, it's terrible by the way. I know it will cut 36 inches plus. I used to do sectional gear repair on some gears that were 38 OD, IIRC.
Yes it automatically indexes via the change gears, you can set it to make 1,2,4 or 8 "passes" meaning you change the depth of cut per pass until you reach the correct depth for the pitch you are cutting. Will it cut EVERY tooth number? Yes and no. The cutting chart shows 12 thru 380 teeth and shows the change gear combo's for 201 different gears. One can make it cut any tooth count by applying standard change gear math and making the split gears you need.
I am going to take a picture of the "work area" to answer some of these questions. Look for an update later.
JB
On a side note, Uncle Mike used to call the gear cutter his movie ticket. When you were cutting a really large blank, he could set it up and start it cutting. Them he had plenty of time to take himself (never the help) to an afternoon movie!

No, doesn't ring a bell. Then again, I really didnt have much interest in the machinist trade when I was younger. I was turning wrenches.... in to cars.
Now I'm burned out with the cars and their mating to computers... hence the interest in machinery. Anyway, Harahan is still a hub for machine shops. Seems like most of them fled Orleans Parish decades ago and moved to Harahan and the Elmwood Business Park. It's still a somewhat small world.
Also a very cool machine. Just huge....Lol

To me it seems that a machine like that is more complicated/more expencive to make as a hobbing machine
Also that tooling you need a very specified machine to grind that form
A hob otah has no curved surfaces All straigt

Peter

Back