What's new
What's new

WTB 16"-20" swing manual lathe in NW

Garwood

Diamond
Need versatile spindle speeds (800+ RPM), chucks and some tooling would be great, 36" minimum between centers, but no more than 12 feet overall length. Want good condition, but will consider a fixer for the right price. American or heavy import is fine. I also have a SB 10K I'd be happy to use as partial payment as well.

If you have a machine that fits within 10 hours driving of Portland, OR please reply.

Thank you.

Google says this 21" Dean Smith Grace is 8.5 hours away from you. They're asking $3500. It's been listed for months, so I'm sure they will move on the price. Not sure if it is shorter than 12', though. If you're 'serious', I can go take a look at it for you.

dsg.jpg

Link: Castanet Classifieds - Lathe and Tooling

Dan Lewis, a dealer in Vancouver, showed me a manual 16X40 Japaneese lathe a couple of weeks ago that was truly impressive--every feature you've ever heard of and then some. I want to say it was a Takisawa but that might not be right. He said he would price it in the teens. It is worth a look even if you just kick the tires.

Keelan, I appreciate the lead, but I will pass (price seams high for the poor pictures/information/size/age/condition of machine).

Cecilstrange, I interpret "teens" to mean $11K-19K range? That's more than my budget, thanks anyway though.

I should ad I have a budget of $5k plus the 10k SB. I don't want to waste your time if you have a larger number in mind. I appreciate all the offers, I have a couple machines to look at, but am still considering options if you have something to offer.

By 10 hours I was thinking as far south as the Bay area, Sacramento and Reno, North to Bellingham and as far East as Boise or Spokane.

That DS&G is a super-fine machine, don't dismiss it on account of the pics. Oh, and you get a cabinet of milling tooling to go along with it :nutter:. Seriously though there's maybe a $1000 in tooling in that chest. Outside of that, I see a 3-jaw, 4-jaw, steady, maybe a taper ...

Wish I could help you with some leads, but good machines are pretty scarce up this way. Compare the DS&G at $3.5k with this at $3k:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/1664496517.html

Portland has more volume of the sort of machine you're looking for than Seattle.

Regards.

Finegrain

Keelan, I appreciate the lead, but I will pass (price seams high for the poor pictures/information/size/age/condition of machine).

I can help out with poor photos & information, and help get a good idea of size and condition. It is on the way home from work. Can't help if you don't want to make the trek into the land of canoes and wild mooses... meese... moose. And, thanks to the favourable exchange rate, you'll save a whopping $73 off the top. Tempting, eh? If I can squeeze it in tomorrow, I'll drop by the place at lunch and snap a couple embettered photos, to help with your indecision making process.

That DS&G is a super-fine machine, don't dismiss it on account of the pics. Oh, and you get a cabinet of milling tooling to go along with it :nutter:. Seriously though there's maybe a $1000 in tooling in that chest. Outside of that, I see a 3-jaw, 4-jaw, steady, maybe a taper ...

The same seller had an Abene mill listed a while back that I was eyeing, but the price dropped to $400 when I was out of town for a week (argh), and it was sold by the time I got home, of course. The Abene was listed as including tooling, but no tooling was shown in any of the photos - I am quite sure that all of that milling tooling shown went with the mill when it was sold -- a matter of confused photos.

I can help out with poor photos & information, and help get a good idea of size and condition. It is on the way home from work. Can't help if you don't want to make the trek into the land of canoes and wild mooses... meese... moose. And, thanks to the favourable exchange rate, you'll save a whopping $73 off the top. Tempting, eh? If I can squeeze it in tomorrow, I'll drop by the place at lunch and snap a couple embettered photos, to help with your indecision making process.

The same seller had an Abene mill listed a while back that I was eyeing, but the price dropped to $400 when I was out of town for a week (argh), and it was sold by the time I got home, of course. The Abene was listed as including tooling, but no tooling was shown in any of the photos - I am quite sure that all of that milling tooling shown went with the mill when it was sold -- a matter of confused photos.

I will still pass on it, don't waste your time looking at it for me.

You're probably already aware of this, but if you're not, this ugly fella showed up on your local craigslist:

Cincinnati 1940's Lathe

Ugly is a good operative word there. Not what I'm looking for. That has more swing that I want and, well, it's an antique. I've used antiques to make money- You work twice as hard to get 1/2 the quality. That Cincy taps out at 400 RPM- about as fast as you'd want to see it turn too.

Back