What's new
What's new

Alzmetall AB5

Dave_C

Cast Iron
I bought this at an auction, but simply don't have the space for it in reality... These beasts stand 8ft tall!
It's on a robust rolling frame (not pictured) so you could winch it onto a drop-deck trailer if you wanted; or I can have it hoisted onto your trailer - your choice.

Vise is included. I've not personally had it under power, but it was in regular use at the shop I got it from. I can hook it up if a buyer is interested in seeing it make chips.

If you don't want the rolling frame with the big casters, I'll drop the price by $100 as I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

Looking for $850 for an easy sale...
Located about 20 miles south of Louisville KY

IMG_3119.jpg

I bought this at an auction, but simply don't have the space for it in reality... These beasts stand 8ft tall!
It's on a robust rolling frame (not pictured) so you could winch it onto a drop-deck trailer if you wanted; or I can have it hoisted onto your trailer - your choice.

Vise is included. I've not personally had it under power, but it was in regular use at the shop I got it from. I can hook it up if a buyer is interested in seeing it make chips.

If you don't want the rolling frame with the big casters, I'll drop the price by $100 as I'm sure I'll find a use for them.

Looking for $850 for an easy sale...
Located about 20 miles south of Louisville KY

View attachment 193613

Consider it sold!

PM coming w/r funds and the 'go-fetch' I shall have to arrange to come after it.

IIRC, that one is actually OVER 8-feet tall, (nominally 94" - two inches under..) and I have ONE INCH over eight feet ceiling, but...

... can either cut a hatch or 'belfry' up into the attic overhead for maintenance , ELSE - my pref, actually - pull the column and take 3 to 6 inches off the bottom of it, put it back together. IF I must....

WTH... I'm only 5' 10" meself, anyway.

I'm seeing guesses around 2,400 to 4,000 lbs as well, BTW. Will seek a more accurate figure.

Nice medium drill. No room for a proper radial here.

;)

Email worked. Have responded.

Guess the tiny 1940's vintage Walker-Turner can soon stop trying to carry the weight of the world on its valiant little shoulders..

:)

... can either cut a hatch or 'belfry' up into the attic overhead for maintenance , ELSE - my pref, actually - pull the column and take 3 to 6 inches off the bottom of it, put it back together. IF I must....

WTH... I'm only 5' 10" meself, anyway.

Option #2: Saw cut the concrete about 3' square and start digging....:D

Option #2: Saw cut the concrete about 3' square and start digging....:D

Four feet square. Six down last time. By hand, too.

Placed a reinforced footer, 1200 lb Tee-shaped 'pulling anchor' for a 1" Type K Mueller Plumbshield copper waterline run 46" to 50" down inside 2 1/2" heavy-wall Poly under 40 feet of driveway. I consider PEX "temporary", y'see.

Previous skinny-wall Type L copper had been only 18" to 22" down, froze, leaked 60,000 gallons of water whilst I was wintering in Hong Kong.

Ain't havin' THAT again the next hundred years or so!

This Alzmetall will clear fine with a hatch above for lifting gear if/as/when needed.

Previous owner architected the garage/annex to have another full-story of house atop, so it is primo ten-bys, 16" OC, 10 1/2" WF beams under, 2 X 6 rafters above are also 16" OC as they had been intended to be re-cut to become his vertical sidewall studding.

Concrete is textbook perfection, too. He was a paving company Exec.

Then he went through a divorce and sold-up instead of completing the renovations, so.. my gain.

I was thinking along the lines of a "coolant sump"...

LOL! This is one retiree, now 'hobbyist' who actually is a big believer in coolant, mess and all, but with off-machine pumps & such on wheels.

There's even a 5 gallon pail of Houghton Hocut cluttering up the damned KITCHEN 'til I make space elsewhere.

"Old Iron Disease" carries all these supplementary infections and such...

Great machine, great deal. If Monarchist didn't buy it, I'd be making a roadtrip.

Enjoy, that's one solid drill press. I use a fixed wide table version that's rated for 1-1/4" hole drilling, whereas my Powermatic is only rated for 7/8 max.

Great machine, great deal. If Monarchist didn't buy it, I'd be making a roadtrip.
I'm actually booked in by air, one way, Penske truck back, one-way, next Saturday. Probably overnight around Charleston, WBGVA. Prefer a queen bed to a ditch.

Wish us well on the load-out and transport!

Enjoy, that's one solid drill press. I use a fixed wide table version that's rated for 1-1/4" hole drilling, whereas my Powermatic is only rated for 7/8 max.

Sounds like you had an AB3?

AB5 is a whole 'nuther level. Check the specs.
You would NOT want it to be yer only DP.

Anything 1/2" and under should really go on a different DP.
And will.

I have the same machine, AB-5

It weighs 3400lbs.

900 RPM max.

#5 Morse Taper

My table is round, coolant in the base.

Little noisy but everything works.

7 1/2 horsepower/ 3 phase/ 240 volts

I have the same machine, AB-5

It weighs 3400lbs.

900 RPM max.

#5 Morse Taper

My table is round, coolant in the base.

Little noisy but everything works.

7 1/2 horsepower/ 3 phase/ 240 volts

Thanks for the general confirmation on that. They were made over a fair span of years, and had an option or two.

What I've found online shows RPM of 48 to 960, and a weight of as much as 4,000 lbs, Avoir. The mass we are prepared for.

The rather low top RPM and the heavy feel a massive machine is bound to have is why I'm keeping the Walker-Turner and still looking around for a good deal on a Hamilton.

I cannot imagine trying to 'spin' a numbah 80 drill with the AB5 any more than I'd have tried it with the beloved American 8-foot radial I once earned my crust with!

It would probably be happier to leave the motor switched OFF, and just play arbor-press on anything much under a quarter-inch...

Forgot to mention that the column is 8 1/2 inches...

The data tag states it will drill 2" in steel.

10 inch quill travel

Online I'm seeing drilling steel to 2 1/2", tapping to 2", drilling CI to 3", and 9 1/2" travel.

But there yah go. Sub-models, revision levels, conversion from metric... wotever..

Haven't yet seen the plate on the one I bought, nor know if it is even still there.

Price as it is, I can either repair or find work-arounds 'til I can repair.

I even have a suitable Dinosaur Current motor and DC Drive I could fit to it. And a VFD not being used.

Also a Kasto power hacksaw with 10" x 12" capability that could shorten that column in half a day's steady stroking or less. Sure have enough blades ratholed to feed it's needs.

Couldn't PAY me to 'make chips' these days, but OY! What I spend f*****g around in me Old Age ...just to stay out of pubs & brothels...

Online I'm seeing drilling steel to 2 1/2", tapping to 2", drilling CI to 3", and 9 1/2" travel.

But there yah go. Sub-models, revision levels, conversion from metric... wotever..

Haven't yet seen the plate on the one I bought, nor know if it is even still there.

Price as it is, I can either repair or find work-arounds 'til I can repair.

I even have a suitable Dinosaur Current motor and DC Drive I could fit to it. And a VFD not being used.

Also a Kasto power hacksaw with 10" x 12" capability that could shorten that column in half a day's steady stroking or less. Sure have enough blades ratholed to feed it's needs.

Couldn't PAY me to 'make chips' these days, but OY! What I spend f*****g around in me Old Age ...just to stay out of pubs & brothels...

Whats wrong with Pubs and Brothels? Do you actually make anything or you working on pissing off whoever gets to off load all that iron after you tip over?

Whats wrong with Pubs and Brothels?
Used up my ration card too long ago to even remember why I had such.
Do you actually make anything or you working on pissing off whoever gets to off load all that iron after you tip over?

All I need to make are 'unobtanium' parts on machine "A" for restoring machine "B", "C" .. "N", the reverse, cross-connected & networked, etc.

I HOPE to have moved it all on to new minders well before I am beyond even managing that sort of exercise as an 'overseer' or at least 'spectator', but we don't need the money, so y'never know....

I may yet have a shot at the "he who dies with the most unfinished projects, wins" award.... except.. ISTR we have a PM member who has accumulated more shapers alone than Bill Harrah had motorcars, so..

:D

Deposit received. Sounds like this beast is going to a great new home. I priced it such that I knew an enthusiast would buy and take care of it, and that the lucky custodian is to be Monarchist Bill makes me very happy indeed :-)

No, I have the AB35 with an unusual fixed table(about 40" wide, 2x t-slots) design with a gearbox that raises the whole column. It is MT4 and has a coolant trough about the perimeter for recirculating flood. The standard version weighs 970#, but I think the larger table version would easily add a couple hundred pounds. I got it because I was drilling 30" wide die shoes and wanted more secure positioning.
Also, on the fixed table design, the column is keyed such that when you raise it it doesn't rotate-- so you always maintain your position(as opposed to the elevating table type that can rotate around the column.

The drill press that has more features, but not as robust is the Donau Rapid Radial Drill. With it's 60" reach, one can just layout a die-shoe or large base plate or fixture, clampdown once and bring the drill right to any location with cool electromagnetic position locking. The new ones even have digital locating capability(on the wish list).

Deposit received. Sounds like this beast is going to a great new home. I priced it such that I knew an enthusiast would buy and take care of it, and that the lucky custodian is to be Monarchist Bill makes me very happy indeed :-)

It will certainly be treasured, just as the valiant little Walker-Turner has been for over 40 hard-struggling years.

Wot the hey, mine sez "Division of Kearney & Trecker" right on the badge, so it must be powerful, no?

:D

No, I have the AB35 with an unusual fixed table(about 40" wide, 2x t-slots) design with a gearbox that raises the whole column. It is MT4 and has a coolant trough about the perimeter for recirculating flood. The standard version weighs 970#, but I think the larger table version would easily add a couple hundred pounds. I got it because I was drilling 30" wide die shoes and wanted more secure positioning.
Also, on the fixed table design, the column is keyed such that when you raise it it doesn't rotate-- so you always maintain your position(as opposed to the elevating table type that can rotate around the column.

The drill press that has more features, but not as robust is the Donau Rapid Radial Drill. With it's 60" reach, one can just layout a die-shoe or large base plate or fixture, clampdown once and bring the drill right to any location with cool electromagnetic position locking. The new ones even have digital locating capability(on the wish list).

Meah.. I have 5200+ avoir of a "Quartet" combo 5 HP horizontal / 1 3/4 HP vertical mill with a head on a dovetail looks to be about as stout. Later models put vertical heads with 5 HP and either a 40 or 50 taper on the same ram.

Weirder drive systems than than a B&S or Rambaudi, but stout enough.

I'm just not one for milling with drillpresses nor drilling with mills if it can be avoided.

Back