What's new
What's new

Anyone near Newburyport, MA?

Paul Cataldo

Stainless
Hey guys, is there anyone in or around Newburyport, MA, that might be willing to help me get a 1200lb pallet/machine picked up/shipped down here to GA? I havent done a lot of machinery moves from out of state before, and could possibly use a little help. Seller says he is willing to hold it for me, but I'm just trying to make contact with someone in the area. Just trying to prepare in case I need someone local to help out. Anyone in this area willing to help out if needed? Willing to pay if need be. Thanks for any help guys.

If the pallet can be moved by pallet jack, and the seller's willing, you can probably find many LTL freight companies like Yellow that offer liftgate service when no dock is available. Then all you need is to set up the pickup and ensure the pallet is prepared for (sometimes) multiple handoffs to associated companies.

If you don't have a dock you'll also need liftgate service on your end.

https://my.yrc.com/dynamic/national...nsactionalquote/rqTransactionalQuoteEntry.jsp

The setup process can be a little fiddly, be patient the first time you use it. The rates can be pretty good, I've used YRC many times, mostly with good results.

Yellow freight, not allowed on property. Reclassify, randomly apply a 300lb weight tack on, and bill the wrong party.

Be careful

If you use the page I linked to, you don't go through that. I've used this service more than twenty times, and my major issue was delivery schedule changes, often slipping a day or two. Annoying, but not anything like reclassifying or other scammery.

What does not allowed on property mean?

I think Mebfab's saying Yellow's not allowed on his property because of past bad experiences. I can understand people get upset when what should be a simple process goes wrong, it's happened to me too. But the nice thing about the online quoting is there's not of the classification stuff, they go by weight and volume and perhaps packaging (skid, carton, box, etc.) to determine pricing. Most of the stuff I bring in is machinery parts, no issues there.

If you're really worried, you can speak to a CS person first to make sure you understand the quote process.

Thanks mjk, but unfortunately Fastenal is out. Seller wont drop off to Fastenal. Thats why I was hoping by some chance to find someone in the area who I could pay to go pick up the pallet and drop off to Fastenal for me. I may be forced to use a liftgate service, which I've no experiwnce with. At least the seller will palletize for me though. We'll see how this goes. I once had a guy ship a 1200lb pallet from MI to here in GA for $200 via his FedEx account. Also had 800lb pallet all the way from Alaska to GA for $200 via FedEx. I no longer am in touch with those guys however. Wish I was. I do not know how they arranged those shipments but boy were they sweet.

You might want to open an account with Unishippers. That is a freight brokering service. I use this service frequently. It will list out from cheapest to most expensive rates of multiple carriers---usually 6-8 carrier quotes. You can estimate LTL (less than truckload) shipping costs on moving stuff just to price it. Then to actually move something you create a BOL--Bill of Lading. Fax or e-mail the BOL to the seller. Then call the trucking company you've chosen to schedule a pick-up. You can request a truck with a lift gate if the seller doesn't have a forklift or loading dock. Pallets are easy to ship. It's an easy process. I've found calling the trucking company directly is always more expensive than using a broker.

Mark

For what its worth, a friend sold some car parts. The buyer had Fastenal go to my friend's shop to pick them and take them to the Fastenal store for the Fastenal shipment program.

Hey Mark, I have actually used a freightbroker once and that was my experience as well. Much cheaper. I have not however, used a liftgate option before, so hoping this goes smooth.
MachineryE,
Man that would be IDEAL, and I am going to call Fastenal tomorrow just to see if they by chance will pickup for me. I have never heard of them doing pickups before, so I'm not holding my breath. Man would that be nice though!

Back