What's new
What's new

FS Clark Forklift Very Cool!!! And Cheap!!!

Machinery_E

Titanium
My 1948 Clark carloader is looking for a new home, with my other forklifts I have I am not using it and its kind of in the way.

First the bad-Main lift cylinder needs rebuilt. It keeps drifting down, still usable, no major leaks and lifts. Also the muffler needs some attention when I put new main bearings in the engine, I twisted off the manifold bolts and didn't have time to drill them out so just wired the muffler on. A little loud that's all! :D
Also forks are not in the best shape, but still work. Converted to 12 volts and charging system may need some work. No battery included. Some minor leaks.

The Good-other the above minor issues it works fine. :) Super cute little thing, it goes through a 80" high door with no problem. Ex Navy machine, I believe they used these on ships for confined areas. I have manuals!

I am not sure of the capacity, I'd estimate 3,000 However when it was my only forklift, I unloaded an apprx. 5,000 pound turning center with it. Not saying that you should! :nutter:

Price-$600. This may even be less than what I can scrap it for, but I can't bring myself to do that, its too cool!

Its of course sold "AS IS"

Located in the Steubenville, OH area.

it goes through a 80" high door with no problem. Ex Navy machine, I believe they used these on ships for confined areas. I have manuals!

---

Price-$600. This may even be less than what I can scrap it for, but I can't bring myself to do that, its too cool!

---

Located in the Steubenville, OH area.

Everythings perfect but the location! :bawling:

Holy Crap! I have the same one!

I know mine is good to 4500#. I wish it were closer, if nothing else would be a good parts donar.

Josh

OX, Lol, believe it not the brakes work on 'er. (I am a big believer in having brakes on a forklift :) ) Just the parking brake is not what I would say great and there is a little bit of slope where its at in the pic, didn't need it to roll into a caddy. :D

JBC, I know the feeling. :(

Josh, Wow-even the same mast height? It seems some of them had much higher masts on them, not too many others I have seen with the short mast.

Good info on the capacity, I guess I wasn't pushing the envelope too much then! :D

Believe it or not, just down the road from me they had an auction where I was told they had an "ultra micro" forklift...it would easily go through a man door! It had a crosly engine in it...went really cheap too, I hope it didn't get scrapped!

I had one of those as my 1st lift truck and sold it about 4 years ago. Changing the mast seal is super simple. Its just a big leather cup seal on the bottom of the piston. Block the mast. Unbolt the cross bar on the mast, take out 6 or 8 bolts on the top flange, lift the piston out with the cross bar attached, swap out the cup seal and reassemble.
Clark dealers still have an amazing amount of parts in stock for these lifts- even after 60 plus years! I was told if they have grey paint they were Navy and if they had blue paint they are Army air force lifts. Of course this is under the yellow that all of them were repainted with over the years. This one even has the engine side panels still on it. I put mine on Craigslist and the phone rang off the hook for two weeks.
Dan

Who amputated the ends of the forks ?? Believe it or not, I have the original four page sales brochure on that truck...if anyone needs any specs. Capacity is 5,000 lbs. There were three different drive types... standard clutch, and optional dynatork and hydratork. I can explain the last two, if anyone cares !

And if you have the original seat, you have a "hair padded" back rest and "automotive type" spring cushion seat covered with "black duck" !!

Also interesting is that even back then you could order an overhead guard as an option...the photo shows a guy wearing a necktie and suspenders operating it with the guard. I guess only the important exectutive types were worth saving in case something fell from above.

And to continue in the "weird, absolutely worthless information department"....The smaller version of this truck was called the "Clipper" but was only 2,000 lb capacity. Go back further in time however and the original Clipper was only 1,000 lb capacity and the seat was like a steel tractor seat with no back....no "hair padding" or "black duck"..oh the humanity !

Pretty neat! If you were a little closer, I'd be awful tempted. Just a little farther than I'd like, especially in the winter.

Jeff

Who'da thunk Ohio had such vast impassable terrain.

I don't know, but I'd like to know when winter showed up at his house....
I'm still waiting here....
tsk.gif

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I don't know, but I'd like to know when winter showed up at his house....
I'm still waiting here....
tsk.gif

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Not much winter here so far either, but as soon as I'd schedule a day off work in advance, it'd be sure to be the day it shows up and that 4 or so hours each way could be considerably more. Maybe I'll reconsider.

Jeff

-------------------

Dan, thank you for the info! I ran into the same thing, I was shocked when Clark was very helpful and e-mailed me a engine parts catalog! That says alot still supporting something so old!

Mil, In the pic its got fork extensions on it! (Which by the way are not included) The forks them selves are about 3' long...it came that way, why they cut them off I'm not sure, unless they were running into clearance issues in tight spaces. That is amazing on the brochure! If its not too much trouble, I would love to know the weight of it! I'm estimating about 6,000 pounds Curious how much I am off. :D

I've seen the clippers before, they are really cute too! But the problem with them (at least the ones I have seen) is they have such high masts on them. Kind of defeats the purpose of such a cute forklift when you can't get into small places with it.

Also, I'd love to know a bit about the "dynatork" and "hydratork" Since it looks like I am the only one that cares about it, a brief explanation would be fine, I'm thinking it has to be some sort of first generation automatic transmission? Like hydraulic drive at least on the "hydratork"?

Jeff, Live a little, you've got to where the deals are! ;) :D This week looks like its gonna be fine again! And I'm only 5 miles off the main drag to boot! So no excuses. :toetap:

Steve, left a message on your voice mail, and also e-mailed.

If someone is interested but on the fence, I can tell you from personal experience that the seller is very easy to deal with. Relaxed and laid back. you will receive no pressures and more importantly - no bullshit. If I had a reason to be in that geographical area I would snag it for myself. Price is certainly right.

Disclaimer - I gain nothing from him selling it. Just giving past experiences.

Mil, In the pic its got fork extensions on it! (Which by the way are not included) The forks them selves are about 3' long...it came that way, why they cut them off I'm not sure, unless they were running into clearance issues in tight spaces. That is amazing on the brochure! If its not too much trouble, I would love to know the weight of it! I'm estimating about 6,000 pounds Curious how much I am off. :D

Also, I'd love to know a bit about the "dynatork" and "hydratork" Since it looks like I am the only one that cares about it, a brief explanation would be fine, I'm thinking it has to be some sort of first generation automatic transmission? Like hydraulic drive at least on the "hydratork"?
Weight is 7,800 or 7,860 or 7,920 lbs depending on clutch or dynatork or hydratork drive.

Funny you say 6,000 lbs as no freakin way a 5,000 forklift could be that light weight unless it was ridiculously long.

Dynatork is engine power transmitted by magnetic induction through air gap between energized flywheel and forward/reverse rotors to high/low range constant mesh transmission.

Hydratork is engine power transmitted by torque converter to constant mesh transmission.

--------------

Further trivia- original standard color was "fire engine red" with white trim (racing stripe down each side !) Optional colors, blue, traffic yellow or safety orange. I think I can see remnants of that racing stripe in your photo.

Back