What's new
What's new

FS: Clausing 5912 lathe, requires assembly and a few more parts

darronb

Aluminum
Before contacting me,
Please thoroughly read the listing details.

Additional photos and relevant documents can be found in my
Microsoft OneDrive album:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ArngPOZxkcQuiMcvBgxzHOp2P1ue1A

Please note:
You must be willing and able to pick up this lathe
in Big Valley, California (town of Bieber)
no later than April 19th.
Bieber is about 70 miles north of Susanville, CA.

While the lathe weighed about 1,000 pounds assembled,
it is disassembled into component groups now,
and all are able to be lifted by one strong man, or by two men with ease.
So, this lathe can be loaded into many smaller vehicles that can accommodate a 1,000 pound additional load.

I may be able to deliver under very limited circumstances.

The photo attached to this listing is from when I bought the lathe in about 2004,
when it was still fully assembled.
There are more photos in the OneDrive link at the top of this description,
including some current ones in a sub-folder named March 2018.

The previous owner was in southern New Hampshire and used it on rare occasions to machine plastic parts.
I lived in Northern New York State at the
time, and hauled it home.
I've since moved out West, and hauled the parts out here in early 2015.

The lathe was built in about
1967, and has a 12" swing over bed and 36" between centers.
It was originally equipped with a 1HP three-phase motor, a reversing motor starter,
a hydraulically-controlled mechanical variable speed drive, a clutch
and a spindle brake.

Serial number is 504617

I never ran it in the original configuration.

The flame-hardened bed ways are in VERY nice condition, cosmetic staining aside.
This lathe probably saw only moderate use in the 1967-2004 period that it was used.

The spindle nose had a run-out of perhaps 1-2 ten-thousandths when I checked with my dial indicator.

The leadscrew and carriage rack show no signs of undue wear.

I intended to convert it to Variable Frequency Drive, powered by ordinary 240VAC single-phase shop power.
To that end, I sold all of the original electrical and mechanical drive parts,
and even sawed off the mounting boss from the headstock cover that held the OEM hydraulic control wheel.

I worked out the math that indicated that a 7.5HP 4-pole motor driven by a VFD would supply the original 1HP over the whole original speed range.
The correct modern, little-used 7.5HP 4-pole three-phase motor is included.

What is needed to complete this VFD conversion:
Mount the new motor
in the headstock base.
Bore the included original Gilmer (toothed timing) belt pulley to fit the larger motor shaft.
Buy the correct length Gilmer belt.
Buy a VFD that will drive the 7.5HP motor from your electric source.
Off ya go!

I would be glad to speak
to you regarding the details, if you need them.

(775) 525-0386 (text or voice)

There is a spreadsheet in the OneDrive documents folder with VFD drive calculations.

Since the attached photos were taken, the lathe has been disassembled and some of the parts shown have been sold.

The parts
shown that are not included include, but are not necessarily limited to:

--The original 1HP three-phase motor (the motor mounting brackets are still present, though).
--The reversing drum switch and reversing motor starter (I believe I still have the switch lever/knob that mounts to the front of the headstock).
--The Intermediate Shaft Assembly (clutch/brake and driven pulley) and mounting bracketry.
--The hydraulically controlled system for the original variable speed drive.
--The lower and upper motor belts.
--The chucks.
--The Aloris-type toolpost holder.
--Tailstock drill chuck.
--The sheet steel cover for the "snout" of the motor hydraulic slave cylinder that protruded from the motor bay cover
I'm not certain if I still have the brake/clutch lever that mounts to the carriage.

The lever for the quick-change gearbox was broken off at the knob hole when I bought the lathe.
With a retired machinist friend, we repaired (brazed and machined) the lever, and I obtained a new knob for it.

The tailstock quill clamp knob is missing.

The headstock base and chip tray were poorly brush-painted since the fully-assembled photos, and look rather mediocre.

$1900 or best offer

DSCN2151.jpg

I have no dog in the race, I am in Illinois and three lathes of my own. In my opinion, take it for what it is worth, the price should be more like $1000 or less. I just sold a rebuilt 12" Logan for $1650 and a rebuild Sheldon 13" with just about all the tooling you could imagine for $2500. Both machines were complete and fully operational, no kits required.

Tom

Thanks for the input. That is indeed probably what it's worth, but there's so much variability in the market for older American iron that I thought I'd try my luck. Also, I'm way out West where the dearth of old iron seems to put a bit of a premium on such things, on a local basis.

Darron

I think you'll find that there is good advice in the above post. With the original drive gone, me thinks you will be fortunate to get $1000 for a lathe in a box with no drive mechanism. Good luck though.

I have an outstanding offer of $1,000 from a "local" buyer, which I will likely accept after another week or two of entertaining other offers.

Darron

Asking price is now $1,400

I'll be moving the lathe parts to Reno, Nevada in the next few days, should that be of any advantage to any potential buyers here.

Thanks,
Darron

The lathe is now in Reno, Nevada, and I am willing to take $1,000 (firm).

I will be ending this listing on April 19th, sold or unsold.
The sole reason I have to sell the lathe will expire after that,
so there will be no need to continue my effort to sell.

I have an outstanding offer of $1,000 from a "local" buyer, which I will likely accept after another week or two of entertaining other offers.

Darron

Go for it!

Tom

Asking price is now $1,400

I'll be moving the lathe parts to Reno, Nevada in the next few days, should that be of any advantage to any potential buyers here.

Thanks,
Darron

The lathe is now in Reno, Nevada, and I am willing to take $1,000 (firm).

I will be ending this listing on April 19th, sold or unsold.
The sole reason I have to sell the lathe will expire after that,
so there will be no need to continue my effort to sell.

Uhm .....Yeah.....Whatever....:crazy:

Back