What's new
What's new

FS: Cuttermaster - benchtop cutter sharpener + radius attachment

oldisnew

Aluminum
For sale is a cuttermaster cutter sharpener. Will sharpen, end mills, ball mills,
radial cutters, etc. In very good condition. I have had machine for 3 years and have
yet to use it. Cuttermaster came from a prototype lab of a high tech company, at the time
no one could remember anyone using it. Condition - wheel spindle very quiet , no vibration.
Air spindle very smooth with no audible air leakage. Has radius attachment for grinding ball mills
or any type of radius cutter I presume. Has the two 5C collet drawbars, 3 fingers. No shipping for now.
$1800/BO send PM or call 508-478-7613 anytime, Hopedale Massachusetts.

Attachments

• DSCN0103.jpg
    DSCN0103.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 528
  • DSCN0104.JPG
    DSCN0104.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCN0107.jpg
    DSCN0107.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCN0109.jpg
    DSCN0109.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 366
Also, I am open to storing cuttermaster until distant buyers can arrange pickup.

Interesting.

Much is known to me about Deckel/Alexander/Gorton-Lars/Taiwanese clones. Been on the RTWL for years now.

Much less has crossed my radar as to a Cuttermaster's flexibility as to enhancements and clever kludges beyond its core speciality.

Links? Examples? Experience? Anyone? Didn't find much, even on PM..

Last edited:
For sale is a cuttermaster cutter sharpener. Will sharpen, end mills, ball mills,
radial cutters, etc. In very good condition. I have had machine for 3 years and have
yet to use it. Cuttermaster came from a prototype lab of a high tech company, at the time
no one could remember anyone using it. Condition - wheel spindle very quiet , no vibration.
Air spindle very smooth with no audible air leakage. Has radius attachment for grinding ball mills
or any type of radius cutter I presume. Has the two 5C collet drawbars, 3 fingers. No shipping for now.
$1800/BO send PM or call 508-478-7613 anytime, Hopedale Massachusetts.

Yes, you can radius fully for an end mill or just a tweak to ease the corner. Mine works surprisingly well. Plus I resized a bushel of larger (1.125 and up) reamers for one company. Wasn't worth my time, but they came out great.

Seen that. Long ago. It doesn't justify a purchase premium over other grinders.
Webster had one, I used it a few times, worked nicely. Seems to me it had air bearings ? Everything moved very smoothly with light pressure plus the air pressure from inside blowing out helps to keep grit from getting into the moving parts. Either that or I am having brain fade.

Drive dogs on dog-clutch transmissions have a slight back taper, a radius at the bottom corner and a radius at the top corner - that's mostly what we used it for but did a good job. Don't know how it compares to everything else on the planet but it was a nice piece.

Webster had one, I used it a few times, worked nicely. Seems to me it had air bearings ? Everything moved very smoothly with light pressure plus the air pressure from inside blowing out helps to keep grit from getting into the moving parts. Either that or I am having brain fade.

Drive dogs on dog-clutch transmissions have a slight back taper, a radius at the bottom corner and a radius at the top corner - that's mostly what we used it for but did a good job. Don't know how it compares to everything else on the planet but it was a nice piece.

I'm sure it handles its "prime directive" well-enough.

I'm looking to avoid a "full" T&C grinder and also avoid a SG. Nowehre near enough use to justify the space if either were a gift, no interest in equipping, maintaining, nor even in retraining meself.

Even when I was in a shop wth two SG's, used one or the other nearly every day, if not several times a day, I used them for but simple tasks.

I'd still like to be able do odd tool grinding tasking OTHER THAN endmills.

One or several PM members have done things with Deckel SO (1,2) that are not obviously what it was built to do.

Looking for similar "grinding outside the box" for a Cuttermaster.

I'm looking to avoid a "full" T&C grinder
The cuttermaster is a benchtop machine. We even picked it up and carried it around. So from that aspect, it might be worth looking at.

On the other hand, by design all it does is move the cutter back and forth, no tailstock or outboard support possible and no coolant, so maybe not good for general grinding.

Interesting.

Much is known to me about Deckel/Alexander/Gorton-Lars/Taiwanese clones. Been on the RTWL for years now.

Much less has crossed my radar as to a Cuttermaster's flexibility as to enhancements and clever kludges beyond its core speciality.

Links? Examples? Experience? Anyone? Didn't find much, even on PM..

You won't beat something like a Cinci No2 for a machine that can do everything ,you would ideally need an air spindle for grinding endmills.

The cuttermaster is a benchtop machine. We even picked it up and carried it around. So from that aspect, it might be worth looking at.

On the other hand, by design all it does is move the cutter back and forth, no tailstock or outboard support possible and no coolant, so maybe not good for general grinding.

To be fair, the Deckel/Alexande/Gorton-Lars pattern weren't out-of-the-box suited for all of the innovative usage, either. I'd expect to need to make mods, add-on "stuff". Doesn't - so far - seem to have been as often done, though.

You won't beat something like a Cinci No2 for a machine that can do everything ,you would ideally need an air spindle for grinding endmills.

No argument, but not the area of my own interest. Odd tasks, and small, rather. Easy enough to send milling-cutters out - even buy new, seldom as I personally would have a need.

Back