What's new
What's new

FS- Emco Maximat Super 11 lathe -Pristine

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
From me, on eBay..... here again, price will seem high for one of these but you will see why when you see the pix and read the description.

1991 Emco Maximat Super 11 Lathe - Probably the nicest one ever on eBay | eBay

The Bridgeport I sold about a year ago but eventually I will get around to putting the Harig surface grinder on eBay....which is literally brand new, never used....with equally un used Suburban electro magnetic chuck and integral controller for same built into the Harig base.

No need to say who really. Im just curious did someone from here end up with it?

Looked to be in new condition.

Brent

Heyzoos!

I think I need some silk cloth to make mine a suitable dust cover! Maybe some satin pillows for the tooling! :)

Cheers
Trev

You, where you sit, should know there's better material for soft cushioning yet long, tough wear..

'Native American' traditionally tanned Moose hide suede leather...

:)

You, where you sit, should know there's better material for soft cushioning yet long, tough wear..

'Native American' traditionally tanned Moose hide suede leather...

Never seen a moose until I was at least six or more years living out in the Prairies. Hardly any of them around here then or now. Lots of deer here though. A few bears. Some sheep. Some goats, if you get lucky enough to see a couple on the rocks.

The stench of smoked leather gets up my nose after a while. Smells really great, then boom, irritating as all get out. Wouldn't want to be locked in a room with the stuff.

But that's a whole 'nuther thing, innit?

I hope Don's buyer is legit and it all goes well. Kinda shocked at what one of these pulls down. Not sure if the price is silly high, or I am silly far behind in my frame of reference.

I really need to get mine set up and running.

Cheers
Trev

The stench of smoked leather gets up my nose after a while. Smells really great, then boom, irritating as all get out. Wouldn't want to be locked in a room with the stuff.
What I had of it, Dad brought back from when he surveyed the 'pioneer' road that was to become the ALCAN highway, summer of '42. Pale yellow, scene of some Lake tattooed in soot on it. I have seen Moose, but never a yellow one, so I dunno if that was a dye.. or urine from Eskimo or dogs. No odour to it, but then.. a lot of years had passed, so..

Kinda shocked at what one of these pulls down. Not sure if the price is silly high, or I am silly far behind in my frame of reference.
I figured BOTH of 'em were actually priced about 20% - 30% LOW for their rarity, condition, properly matched tooling, and all from a reputable seller so well known and in public record he couldn't hide for long if he had a personal submarine.

Not that he needs to.

More comfortable to fish and drink beer off surface craft, and farts don't linger as bad as in a sub.

Bill

What I had of it, Dad brought back from when he surveyed the 'pioneer' road that was to become the ALCAN highway, summer of '42. Pale yellow, scene of some Lake tattooed in soot on it. I have seen Moose, but never a yellow one, so I dunno if that was a dye.. or urine from Eskimo or dogs. No odour to it, but then.. a lot of years had passed, so..

I figured BOTH of 'em were actually priced about 20% - 30% LOW for their rarity, condition, properly matched tooling, and all from a reputable seller so well known and in public record he couldn't hide for long if he had a personal submarine.

Not that he needs to.

More comfortable to fish and drink beer off surface craft, and farts don't linger as bad as in a sub.

Bill

I purchased one of these new, (one of the last ones; it was red and a showroom demo unit) around 2007 for $8500-ish. It was amazingly accurate. With high a quality DRO, Royal collet closer, I'm not surprised it was purchased so quickly. The only criticism of the machine was the compound could have been more rigid. Could not take heavy cuts, which with a lighter duty machine should not be the expectation anyway. Miss having it.

Milacron
What is your opinion on the quality of the Emco Maximat Super 11
Per pound (or per KG) it may be one of the best basic threading lathes ever made. The one thing I don't like about them personally is the method of turning the spindle on and off or changing the two speed spindle motor speeds....and that is, you have to do it all with the main electrical switch. Would be so much nicer if the main switch was only for basic "power on" and there was a lever on the carriage for spindle on.

I posted about this once in the Emco Yahoo Groups forum to see if anyone had worked up an alternative "spindle on" method and got zero response....apparently only I am annoyed by that feature.

Also note something I didn't realize until recently...they came in different spindle bores....mine is the "big bore" (35mm) with MT5 taper, D1-4 spindle, but some older ones are smaller bore (26mm) with MT4 taper and I therefore presume can not use 5C collets, which would be less desirable. I thought maybe the larger bore was the "Super" part but no, even the smaller bore ones are Maximat "Super" 11's.

I find them just a tad above the machines you are not allowed to talk about on this forum
Just a tad
About KG (or pound) this machine does not have enough of that
I did have 2 of them long time ago and I was really not impressed

Peter

I find them just a tad above the machines you are not allowed to talk about on this forum
Just a tad

Peter

I thought that was part of the idea. I remember when the Maximat V10 was the current model and one of the advantages was the light weight that allowed them to be used in places where "real" lathes couldn't go. Lighter cuts are the penalty but given a choice of that or no lathe at all the Maximat was the clear winner for some. I remember a documentary where the vet tranquilizing Rhinos made all the darts on a Maximat V10 that had been hauled in by Range Rover.

I remember a documentary where the vet tranquilizing Rhinos made all the darts on a Maximat V10 that had been hauled in by Range Rover.

Only because he could do.

Any other vet wudda just had the DARTS hauled in.

Gets like the old argument that more deer had been taken with the wimp-ass .30 Winchester than with any other cartridge, so it must be a great choice.

Reason was simple enough and hadn't SQRT-FA to do with ballistics or inherent 'goodness' of a .30 Win.

No other rifle had even been pointed at that partic'lar dead deer, nor even been on the scene.

Part is done, meets specs, machine tool must have been good enough.

Bill

Only because he could do.

Any other vet wudda just had the DARTS hauled in.

The point was made in the documentary that the darts were a new experimental design the vet was developing after standard ones gave poor results. This was well before darting rhinos was common. A lot of what we now take for granted didn't even exist decades ago and pioneers in the field improvised/built the prototypes for many things that are now standard today. One thing I also recall was that in that era not only the delivery system but even the choice of drugs and dosages for many African animals was unknown and the wrong choice could kill the animal.

Just a tad
That is why first thing I stressed the weight... not one of the best lathes but one of the best per pound...amazing machine for only 500 lbs of weight.

A sale like this is good news. I have one and its nice to have an idea of its value.
Unless yours also is pristine with DRO, single phase and backlash less than .001" my sale doesn't really give an idea of their value. A typical Emco Maximat Super 11 with no DRO, 3 phase and typical backlash sells for around $5,000.

Unless yours also is pristine with DRO, single phase and backlash less than .001" my sale doesn't really give an idea of their value. A typical Emco Maximat Super 11 with no DRO, 3 phase and typical backlash sells for around $5,000.

Mine is 110v large spindle. New on a pallet.

It came out of a school that was pretty keen to avoid having it in the way, along with a couple other machines, and were as keen to not have to pay to have them hauled away. Had been bought, fired into the 'shop' space, and the school had been mothballed. When it was reopened as a Kindergarten through Grade 7 school, the tools were a liability taking up space.

I got a collet closer, collet set, and a couple chucks, the factory insert tooling package and a bunch of other goodies. Mostly in the boxes they came in.
Didn't get the steady or follower rests, though. Or the key for the cabinet doors. And I bought a DRO to put on it.

My understanding is that the rotary switch can be a delicate thing, and bloody awful to pay for if you can find a replacement. the numbers that were being thrown around (several hundreds of Euro) made me think a decent set of snips and a new 220v motor and VFD would be the reasonable thing to do.

Not a bad payoff for a day taken off work, got two lathes, this one, and a 12" Atlas that was pretty tooled up on a stand, as well as a South Bend Shaper on a stand, and a 36 inch step shear. gave the Atlas to one of the young fellas at work that was interested, but not heavy of wallet, gave the SB to a friend, and kept the S11 and the shear.

Starting to ponder, in all seriousness, if the lathe is too nice to keep. Not in the way, where it is, though.

Cheers
Trev

Back