What's new
What's new

FS: Kearney and Trecker 2HL-Universal Horizontal Mill - NJ

dblacknj

Plastic
Kearney and Trecker 2HL-Universal Horizontal Mill
Serial Number 45-3313 circa 1941.

The short version…

Yes, someone posted some pictures about this exact mill a while back.
During the winter it came out of a small shop in NJ and landed
at Cook M&T. I saw it a few times and every time it talked to me.
Reminded me of a blonde I should have married back in 1983.

One thing leads to another and it's on the truck in my driveway.
As Jim lowered it to the ground he mentioned that someone was
trying to get ahold of me and wanted it real bad. No one knows
how to get ahold of this person.

It only took an hour of staring at it to realize I have to many
projects and this wouldn't get touched till the fall at least. What was I thinking?

She's in very good condition for her age and the perfect size for a home shop.
She belongs in a loving home, not buried alive.

$2400 gets you the mill, (3) 12 inch arbors, (2) K&T vises.
I'm trying to break even.

It is located in 08720 (Wall NJ), 2 miles from exit 98 on the Parkway.

Dennis

Click on any picture…

dblack,
nice machine, wish you were closer I could use a second one.
In the last photo it shows a vertical head on top of a green box, any idea what the green box is for? Is it attached to the head?

Michael

The vertical head is exactly that. There are three pieces to it. The vertical head, a plate and a bull gear.
The picture may be confusing because it is twisted inward to fit in a box to protect it.
This is the smallest(?) mill K&T made. The rams are 2.75 in diameter, so a head from a larger
machine would not fit. Note: I don't claim to be an expert on this machine.

Actually, 2.875" over arms and next to smallest. The 1H was same machine with 6" shorter table.

2HL table travel is 28"

The vertical head is exactly that. There are three pieces to it. The vertical head, a plate and a bull gear.
The picture may be confusing because it is twisted inward to fit in a box to protect it.
This is the smallest(?) mill K&T made. The rams are 2.75 in diameter, so a head from a larger
machine would not fit. Note: I don't claim to be an expert on this machine.

At the moment there are two parties very interested in the mill. Hopefully we'll have a winner by Monday night.
If not, I'll let you all know.

Every picture tells a story don't it ! - Rod Stewart

There has been much interest in the mysterious attachment. So much so that I realized
this was another learning moment. I can't say teaching, because I'm just learning.
Anyhow the attachment is called "Light High Speed Universal Milling Attachment:".
It came in various sizes to fit all H, K and F models.

The pictures tell it best.

\8-)
Dennis

At the moment there are two parties very interested in the mill. Hopefully we'll have a winner by Monday night.
If not, I'll let you all know.

Dennis, if the sales fall through I would like to be considered as a buyer. I sent you a PM a few days ago. Not sure if you got it or if I am next in line, but keep me in mind.

Tom

That is one fine looking bit of kit.
I can't quite figure out how you extend the head after it is all mounted? Once the green gearbox is clamped to the over arms then extending the head would be rather tricky?
Does that model have the extending quill?

It sure would look nice sitting in my shop and look at that flaking!!! Does the rest of it look that good?

Good luck with the sale I am sure it won't last long.

Michael

Ps, hopefully that stud and plate added by Bubba could be removed with no damage.....

Part that clamps to overarms can be extended simply by unclamping the over arms and moving them where you want the head (but you have to unclamp and clamp the green housing in this process). This is limited by the length of the splined drive shaft that can be seen in some of the photos.

The hand knob visible in the photos extends quill a maximum of 1 1/2".

As stated above, the spindle taper in this head is B&S #7, tang drive (according to Bulletin No. 751)

That is one fine looking bit of kit.
I can't quite figure out how you extend the head after it is all mounted? Once the green gearbox is clamped to the over arms then extending the head would be rather tricky?
Does that model have the extending quill?

It sure would look nice sitting in my shop and look at that flaking!!! Does the rest of it look that good?

Good luck with the sale I am sure it won't last long.

Michael

Ps, hopefully that stud and plate added by Bubba could be removed with no damage.....

There has been much interest in the mysterious attachment.

Dennis,

That is one most fascinating universal head. Took me a bit to fully understand it, but now I see the taper/gear attaches to the spindle, which connects to the gear which drives the splined shaft, which inserts into the splined sleeve/flanged-bushing. This allows the head to move out or in in relation to the table. What a nice machine, that table and universal head look very useful, and it goes up to about 3600 rpm on the head.

As stated above, the spindle taper in this head is B&S #7, tang drive (according to Bulletin No. 751)

That seems odd to use a tang drive. In the photo it looks like there is some type of screw/bolt from the top of the head, but a BS #7 would probably have to be tanged, is that right? Seems odd to use a tang taper on a universal head...but I don't doubt you John, was just trying to understand it.

Cheers,
Alan

Is it still available?

Grunt, I am working on some logistical issues with getting the machine shipped to Wyoming right now. If I don't have this figured out in the next couple of days I will stand aside and let you work with Dennis on the machine if you are ready to move on it. I don't want him holding the machine for me and costing himself getting the deal done sooner rather than later. I am in contact with Dennis, so feel free to contact him. No worries on my end as long as we are all talking and respecting each other.

I have shipped 2 machines from New York to Wyoming before, so I thought I had a good idea what to expect, but this one has a couple of rubs in it that hopefully I can work out. The cost knocked the wind out of me too, but it is not like I didn't expect it to be expensive.

John Oder, since you are very knowledgeable on these machines. What would a good honest estimate for shipping weight be? Also, what would be the best way to lift the machine if I can arrange some type of crane on the shipping end?

Thanks.

Tom

John Oder, since you are very knowledgeable on these machines. What would a good honest estimate for shipping weight be? Also, what would be the best way to lift the machine
Its a little past the '39 catalog weight (all put on pounds as the war years went by), and it seems not to have DH or drive that it came with to make that weight, but you have to add the head and two vises and three arbors.

A guess would be 3800 all up (you have to add motor and electricals to catalog weight), and there are statements on this forum that it is fine to pick these up by the pair of 2.875" overarms.

As to freight, ask IMOK. They were good to me ($935) on the 8300 LB vertical shaper Harrison NJ to Houston TX on tarped and strapped (not chained) LTL. This was about a year ago.

Back