-Toward wheelhead: 90 degrees
-Away from wheelhead: 30 degrees
Workhead spindle nose: A2-5"
Workhead motor:1/4 HP with variable spindle speeds
Automatic lubrication
Self contained coolant system

Approximate weight: 4,150 LBS
Approximate dimensions: 8'L x 4'W x 6'6"H

We bought this unit as a backup to our production grinder in 2008. Since then it has seen about 10 hrs of use. It is no longer needed, but the floorspace is, so it has to go.

The unit is under power in Enid,OK. Come in and inspect it at 412 N. Independence 8-5 Mon-Fri.

Unit was originally wired for 440 3 phase, but has been converted to 240 3 phase.

Price is $7000.00, but negotiable.

20141112_134035.jpg

Don’t know what the market will bear for price..or the condition of this one..But Landis is a world class top machine..The fine feed Graduations .001" stated is misleading because the distance between marks makes it easy to pull .0001 or two.

Fine feed graduations of .001 on an od grinder? Somethings not right there. I've seen lathes finer than that.

As for price, you may have to loose a digit. I paid $600 for my similarly sized Cincinnati with a drop down id attachment. With the accuracy of CNC lathes and hard turning there isn't the need for manual grinders that existed 30 years ago.

Fine feed graduations of .001 on an od grinder? Somethings not right there. I've seen lathes finer than that.

As for price, you may have to loose a digit. I paid $600 for my similarly sized Cincinnati with a drop down id attachment. With the accuracy of CNC lathes and hard turning there isn't the need for manual grinders that existed 30 years ago.

Yes the graduations are in .001" increments, but the distance between the graduations is considerable.

There's no way i can let a machine of this condition go for scrap prices.

Wish I had the room or work for it. Used the same and held near zero size OD work. Tenths are easy on that machine..

Better market for same around here. Yours looks like original color perhaps factory paint.
Perhaps put on the Dallas craigslist ... I don't want to see it go scrap.
Detroit area machine... much the same
Landis 1R Universal O.D. Grinder

Fine feed knob

The Landis grinder coarse feed hand wheel is graduated in .001" units. The fine feed knob shown to the upper left of the hand wheel is graduated in units of .00005 inch. This 1R is set up for automatic infeed at the end of left or right or both end of travel stops. The two knobs on the left side of the machine above the one shot oil box control the automatic infeed.

The wheel spindle journals have a radial clearance of about .0001 inch.

The hydraulic pressure supporting the spindle is generated by thermal expansion of the recirculating oil as it is forced through the narrow bearing clearance. This method was only used by Landis. Other grinders made in the 1950's through 1970's use a spring loaded floating shoe system that generated the pressure by forcing the oil through a much larger wedge shaped gap between the journal shoes and the spindle. This is the conventional hydrodynamic bearing design. The Landis microsphere bearing is an effective and simple design. It is also a disaster waiting to happen if the maintenance person attempts to adjust the bearing clearance without first understanding how they work.

Landis discontinued the microsphere bearing in the late 70's. Modern designs use hydrostatic bearings, ball bearings or an improved version of the floating shoe hydrodynamic bearing.

Robert

This is still available, and the boss says it sells or goes to scrap.

I don't have my personal building up yet, so i cant take it home.

Price drop to $2000.00, and we can load on your trailer.

Someone please make good use of this machine.

Now there is a gun reamer machine..

O' Grady tool a top gun reamer manufacturer making gun reamers for Remington and the like used a Landis like that..
a model 4 h
and two 1rs

..along with a row of surface grinders with Dedtrus. and yes a ton of other grinders and a few latgws

Yes went belly up a couple years ago...bought some of their stuff at the auction..

That is a top quality grinder with shipping still a bargain at that price..

Yes needs a DRO added perhaps $600(?)

If i can find a way to keep it from rusting to death in an unheated shed, I would take it home.

Maybe a thick ass layer of cosmoline and saran wrap? At least until i can get my building up.

Could be a couple years cause I'm a po-boy.

Same Landis in same condition sold for under a grand near me recently. Heavily advertised for months.

Around 2010/2011 timeframe I bought a bunch of machines from a shop going under. They had a like-new Landis ID/OD with a new DRO and a new chucks for the workhead and the price went from $10k down to $500 in 6 months. They ended up pulling the DRO and chucks and scrapping the rest. I kept the steadies and follow rests from it.

Scrap would be less than $250. I'd pay $800 delivered 300 miles north. $1100 if you include the anvil. I haven't got the time to pick it up.

The grinder bears a lot of similarities to the piano I asked about in the general forum. Great piece who's time has passed.

Last edited:
Scrap would be less than $250. I'd pay $8000 delivered 300 miles north. $1100 if you include the anvil. I haven't got the time to pick it up.

The grinder bears a lot of similarities to the piano I asked about in the general forum. Great piece who's time has passed.

I think you got one too many zeroes in there somewhere.

The two listed in Roseville Mi. may be the very same machines that went at auction at O Grady tool.. Likely I have the auction price in my notes.
Pricing a new machine of that quality the price would be very high..Agree there are a lot of CNC OD grinders that make these out of date..but still some manuals are being sold and still used...
Just saying it is a shame for a machine like that to go to the scrappers..

We just had a guy looking to run gun reamers in a mini lathe converted to a grinder.. likely costing $1000 when done with buying a mini and a tool post grinder. And here is a rel grinder that may go for net scrap.....

Back