What's new
What's new

FS: Leland Gifford No. 2 Sensitive Multi-speed drill press

hawkfan9

Hot Rolled
This was a local auction purchase, and was mis-labeled as a 220V 3 phase machine. It is a 440V only multispeed motor, 3 phase. The press appears to be very tight, and in really good overall condition. The table moves freely up and down, and the spindle moves freely and smoothly. I am unable to power it up, but opened up the inspection panel to inspect the clutch and gear assembly in the head, and it is all in excellent condition. Shifts smoothly.

I can load a truck or trailer at this end. This is a heavy machine, guesstimated at 1500 lbs..

$500 and it's yours. I have been in contact with Leland Gifford, and they have a full manual available for this machine, includes operation, parts, and maintenance, for around $60.00, if someone needed it.

LG1.jpg

LG placard.jpg

LG table.jpg

Machine is located in Crystal Lake, Illinois. As stated, loading no problem at this end.

We have one of those at the Milwaukee’s school of Engineering.

Would like to have one. And I’m going down to Wauconda to pick up a grinder

Steve

The chuck in the first picture goes with it, and is included. You can see it in the spindle. I'll drift it off tomorrow and check what taper it is.

[bump]

Public service announcement:

Yes, it’s 440 volts, but it may run perfectly well on 240 volts, under the following conditions:
Ensure the contactors get proper voltage by changing primary taps on machine tool transformer.

Keep an eye on the motor temp.
Intermittent duty, especially if you don’t change out starter heaters.
Don’t expect to quickly drill any holes at large range of MT2 (inch or more?)

And you can always get a transformer to get up to 440 volts.
Roughly speaking, one KVA to horsepower of motor.

You must not have really wanted that machine. :)

Wish you were next door - or maybe not. I'm out of floorium.

As has been mentioned, for a motor that size, a couple/$300 transformer from your local surplus electric dealer will run it fine. If you get out to more facilities auctions, transformers are even le$$ in the wild.

I run a number of 440 & 560 V machines off shop built convertors (2 shops) & transformers.

Good luck with it either way, but if you wanted one, the best one might already be on your floor.

Back