What's new
What's new

FS Unusual Doall DTR-28 articulating drill press, Ontaro, $1200US

SBAER

Hot Rolled
I have a Doall drill press that is quite unusual and would be pretty handy for the person that needs something like a small radial drill. It has some articulating hinges that lock when you let go of the trigger. The head powers up and down, it has a built in coolant pump. It has power feed and some sort of tapping mode I've never used. I had to repaint the base because the coolant had eaten away the paint. 480V and needs compressed air. Looks to be from 1998.

Some of the speeds don't work (1680/3360 and 710/355, going from memory here). I have not had the time to remove the gearbox cover and take a look, I would expect a broken gear)

$1200US, $50 more if you want the vise as well.

Here are some very poor videos

IMG_182.MOV - Google Drive
IMG_186.MOV - Google Drive

IMG_178.MOV - Google Drive

IMG_0193.jpgIMG_0188.jpgIMG_0187.jpgIMG_0194.jpg

If you are interested contact me by email at [email protected]

I can remember the DoAll salesman trying to sell us one of those back in the early 80's. They called it a Jack Knife Drill.. Would have been great for drilling small mold waterlines. We never could get the shop owner to buy us one. I have seen a few of them over the years... Nice looking drills..

We have one at work. I always called it a "broken arm drill". Handy, tapping function is nice, rigidity can be an issue. I always wished they would have put a t slot table on one of the sides. Fair price on this one.
JB

We have one at work that is in back by the welders, I haven't used it much. But ours I believe has similar issues with the speed. Seems to be a pretty versatile tool though.

Those machines were imported from EFI in Portugal by Rockwell back in the 1970's and had big Rockwell nameplates before the DoAll version. The sheet metal shop where I worked had one and I liked to look at it. But it was too expensive and heavy for me to put one in my shop.

Just recently, I got a NOS baby brother to the EFI drill, made in the USA long ago by Mico Instrument Co. in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The chuck is an Albrecht 1/8 capacity and the Carter motor is 1/12 HP.

The last two pictures show the more common (still rare) conventional sensitive drill by Mico, which had the same head.

Larry

DSC00356.jpgDSC00357.jpgDSC00358.jpgMico drill press 1.jpgMico drill press 2.jpg

Those machines were imported from EFI in Portugal by Rockwell back in the 1970's and had big Rockwell nameplates before the DoAll version....
Larry

A shop where I used to work had one labelled as a Delta UniDrill. Not that familiar with it, as it was in the owner's private woodworking section.

Not to rain on your parade.... but the Uni-Drill is about only 1/10 the drill the EFI was.

I had the nicest one that they made having variable speed and the tilting head.... perfect for a wood shop... sold it a few years ago for over 2000 dollars.

And as much as I say the EFI is much more of a metal working drill press... I have not seen one that did not have some gear issues... Probably why they quit making them.

Back