What's new
What's new

Hardinge HVL-H Super Precision Lathe for sale - mechanically near new

Harlock

Plastic
I'm not a regular on this forum (I'm a regular over on Chaski Home Machinist) but I thought there might be some interest here in this item as it's out of the range of most home shop machinists. I hope it's OK with the mods that I came here to post this. I did read the rules. :)

Hardinge HVL-H Super Precision Lathe

This one-owner lathe was purchased brand new in March of 1981 by a well-to-do hobbyist and then almost never used as his interests went elsewhere. One key to validating the low hours is that the hand wheel for threading the collet closer on the back side of the headstock still has all of its gun-black coating. (see photo) As anyone familiar with Hardinge lathes knows the gun-black wears off of this wheel quickly from being handled to insert and release collets. Another example is the pristine shape of the plastic oil shield surrounding the back of the lathe and the shield for the operator. These are usually quite cloudy from the spray of cutting fluids or occasionally being hit by chips. This one maintains a clear appearance.

We estimate this lathe may have less than 50 hours of actual use. This may be your one and only chance to buy an HVL-H that is mechanically as new as this. Why buy an inferior imported copy for the same price when you can have the real thing?

In 2011 this lathe was still available for the then-new price of $60,000. Hardinge no longer sells manual lathes. Lathes of this type are highly sought after but most often require an additional cost equivalent to the purchase price or greater to refurbish to a quality still less than this original condition example.

You will find lathes of this vintage that have been re-painted and cleaned up for less, but none that are actually in mechanically new condition.

Because the lathe is over 30 years old, there is some cosmetic pitting or staining, mostly where it sat un-used with a small amount of oil or fluids, primarily on the tray below the lathe. Other than these small cosmetics, we are unaware of any mechanical deficiencies on this unit. This lathe has been tested and run in forward and reverse and with threading gears enabled and everything operates as new. We can provide power to the lathe for prospective buyers.

The Hardinge HLV-H was recognized throughout industry as the finest precision tool room lathe available and was the standard for specialized tool and die work, critical prototype and industrial modeling work, as well as precision parts production. There is no better manual lathe when accuracy is paramount, or if you simply want a lathe that is a joy to operate, with a massive rigidity to capacity ratio. The heavy cast and ground dovetail bed design provides significant rigidity and precision such that leveling adjustment is actually unnecessary. Design features include functions that facilitate extremely quick, easy and accurate thread cutting.

The lathe comes with:

• a complete set of 5C collets, most of them Hardinge brand
• Five tool holders for the quick change tool post
• A four jaw chuck
• A knurling tool
• A collet stop
• A change gear set for metric gear threading
• Complete splash guard including back-splash and chip guard
• Original analog variable speed control, brake control
• Complete coolant system with pump, reservoir and tray
• servo-motorized X and Y power feed
• Maintenance Manual

Specs:

Swing over bed: 11"
Swing over carriage: 9"
Distance between centers: 18"
Swing over cross slide: 6"
spindle through-hole: 1.25"
Variable spindle speeds: 125 - 3000 RPM
Spindle nose: Hardinge taper
Compound slide travel: 3"
Power feed range: 1/4" to 7 ipm
Tailstock Spindle Diameter: 1-3/8"
Tailstock spindle travel: 3.75"
Imperial Thread Range: 11-108 tpi
Overall dimensions: 68" X 30" X 58"H (without back guard)
Machine Weight: 1700 lbs
Total Weight: 1965 lbs

Located in Silicon Valley, CA. (Saratoga)

This machine can be shipped using professional machinery movers at buyer’s expense.

Equipment is available on-site to help load on to your truck or trailer.

The lathe is available for inspection and can be powered on for testing.

Asking Price: $28,000

17-12-08_hardinge-8031.jpg

17-12-08_hardinge-8029.jpg

17-12-08_hardinge-8042.jpg

17-12-08_hardinge-8035.jpg

17-12-08_hardinge-8033.jpg

PM me if interested.

I wonder why this posting never got any action, that thing looks sweet for being almost 30 years old and brings back memories for me.

I wonder why this posting never got any action, that thing looks sweet for being almost 30 years old and brings back memories for me.

Not sure, but you can buy an upgraded brand new one from Babin for about what he's asking for this one ($26,500 for the machine) and it comes with a warranty, support, etc. And they also offer all sorts of fairly reasonably priced servo/partial CNC options for threading both metric and English without change gears and whatnot.

For those who don't know the story: Babin has been rebuilding Hardinge lathes for something like 50 years. If you called Hardinge to have one rebuilt, they'd send you to Babin. When Hardinge decided to stop selling new, manual toolroom lathes, they (supposedly) sold/gave the rights to produce to Babin, whom they always had a good relationship with.

I've seen and demoed the Babins in-person, and you would swear the thing was the sweetest Hardinge you've ever seen if you didn't look at the name on the side first. I've also run one that was rebuilt by Babin (which costs about enough to consider buying a new one instead) and it was definitely the nicest manual lathe I've ever run in my life.

That said, this HLV looks like it's in great shape.

Not sure, but you can buy an upgraded brand new one from Babin for about what he's asking for this one ($26,500 for the machine) and it comes with a warranty, support, etc. And they also offer all sorts of fairly reasonably priced servo/partial CNC options for threading both metric and English without change gears and whatnot.

And for anyone who're not sure, this Babin is NOT the same as the Ebay rip-off Babin, you can buy from the machine rebuilder with confidence.

Would you mind explaining this. More than one Babin?

Yep.

One Al Babin is a purveyor of badly described, often mis-described machine and machine tool stuff on Ebay, a bit of a legend in his own time, if for all the wrong reasons. Usually descriptions in his ads are all in Capital Letters, no punctuation, hardly any spelling ability.

The other is a machine tool re-builder and seller that like as not does not deserve the attention he has gotten due to the unfortunate circumstance of there only being so many names in use.

A search of this forum for the term "spot the Babin" will like as not get you all the info you need.

Wow, this brings back memories.
This looks exactly like the first lathe I ever used.
Back in the early 80's, when I started working for GE, I got to hanging around the Engineering model shop and talking to the machinists.
They started showing me how to operate a lathe and mill, and I used the Hardinge to make a number of parts for the boats and cars I had at the time.
One of my first projects was a set of solid aluminum outboard motor mounts, which improved stability a bunch at 90+mph.
I tried to buy that lathe, as well as one of the Bridgeports, in the mid 90's, when they eliminated the model shop, but they went to better connected folks before I even had a chance to bid on them. :-(

Thanks for the memory, and good luck with your sale.

Back