What's new
What's new

Kellogg-American compressor 5HP 80 gal

Shop Dad

Plastic
This is a 5HP two stage compressor with 80 gallon tank. The Kellogg-American 331 was a workhorse for decades prior to about 1973 and among the best ever made in its class IMHO. This heavy duty American made compressor has plenty of life left, and there are still web-sites that offer replacement parts. Was working when taken out of service and I bought it to restore but can't get to it any time soon. The flywheel has some cracks as seen in the last photo. This should be braised and balanced. Has no drain valve, and therefore no water buildup in tank. Will need to be wired, and tank pressure gauge reconnected. Sold as-is for parts or restoration. PICK UP ONLY from Pennington, NJ 08534. .

I can provide the instruction file for the #331 in PDF. Motor is three phase. Includes a brand new air filter. I have a shop hoist to help load on trailer.

$200 OBO - I'd like to find a good home for this guy.

e595aaf8fa1eb7ebbf553a99d978ccda.jpg

959417680534225b8d0f3ad60da24b97.jpg

928158314b2bba25c1c2b9e78b8087ca.jpg

5c07ea37820c1587aa79b7dd8340bda1.jpg

Just wanted to say this is a very fair deal.

I've got a horizontal that's similar, and if this is the same pump, it's rated to 10hp, and will provide commensurately more CFM. Either way, a new surplus baldor 5hp single phase motor can be had for $300 on ebay, give or take.

I usually buy these things when i can locally, put a new motor on it, run it till someone is willing to give me $1000, then move on to the next one.

The Kellogg-American 331 was a workhorse for decades prior to about 1973 and among the best ever made in its class IMHO.
I had a 1950 model that ran for years, got it from a truck shop. Sold it to a body shop when i went bigger, he put bearings in it and I believe it's still running. $200 is a good price just for the tank alone.

Thanks guys. I think it's a score for someone who can put a bit of time into it, certainly less than I paid. There was one almost identical at a pattern maker's shop I visited last year. Not sure you can even buy anything this heavy duty any more from anyone. Post-war equipment was dang strong.

Back