What's new
What's new

Mill: Willing to pay for quality

CJBricks

Plastic
Hi guys, I'm looking for a excellent/great shape vertical knee mill. R8 or 40 taper. No CNC. I'm not made of money, but I am willing to pay for a mill in excellent to very good shape. I don't want a project or stories. I want it tight. I want older American brands: Index-Wells, Gorton (with right taper), or less so Bridgeport. Tree ok, if in great shape, but I'd want the larger 2UVRC model (I know they have specialty Z taper). Tooling/DRO always preferred, but not required. I'm in Portland, OR, but I'm ok with shipping if you're ok with packing/crate help on your end. Although I'm new on this site, I'm old school: straightforward, honest, and true to my word. I'd expect the same from whoever's selling. Clark

rusty tool--Already taken a look at it in person. It's in great shape, as advertised, but I think it's overpriced, although admittedly I'm still considering. Maybe I'm wrong, but the most expensive manual Tree I've seen was in the $6k range. Yes, I'm willing to pay for quality, but not overpay by 50%. Again, though, I'd prefer r8 or 40 taper.

JHolland--nice machine you've got, but that's too big for what I'm looking for. . . but I'm sure it'll simmer in my mind for awhile.

Thanks guys.

I have a second Wells Index 700 series in stock--half the size of my 420

Bridgeport size with 200 universal kwik switch spindle

electromanual

looks like machine in this pic without the cnc control

Attachments

• `ddd.JPG
    `ddd.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 296
My ideal is a Wells Index 847 or Gorton with common taper size and head that rotates and nods. Just wish Tree had more common taper.

CJ, Did you see Dans' Hispano Suiza Mill ?
Once again he's asking 4 times what it's worth.
He lives in a whole different world than the rest of us.

I have 12 knee mills in stock

one of my series one Bridgeports with 2 j head does all you mention

I had an unused Tree identical to what you examined in Or

overbuilt column and knee with terrible head/spindle/olive collets

my neighbor now has it

spindles for Bridgeport are common and relatively cheap--many taper choices

CJ, Did you see Dans' Hispano Suiza Mill ?
Once again he's asking 4 times what it's worth.
He lives in a whole different world than the rest of us.

Haha, I have known Dan for many years. LOL, I have no idea how he makes it.He is offten very hard to get ahold of and He will sit on machines for years before we will deal with them. Even then he does not budge much. That said Dan is a stand-up guy and generally anything you get from him will be gone through very well and very clean.

Agree he's hard to get ahold of. In person, though, he is very nice. Spent nearly an hour showing me around his shop and his mills. Walked me through his thought process on how he evaluates a mill. The guy is a gold mine of info on all these machines. I bought a Clausing drill press off him years ago, and it still works like a champ. His prices are tough, though. So much so, I find myself looking all across the country despite the shipping/handling.

Agree he's hard to get ahold of. In person, though, he is very nice. Spent nearly an hour showing me around his shop and his mills. Walked me through his thought process on how he evaluates a mill. The guy is a gold mine of info on all these machines. I bought a Clausing drill press off him years ago, and it still works like a champ. His prices are tough, though. So much so, I find myself looking all across the country despite the shipping/handling.

I get it. That said we live in the land of few machine tools compaired to the east coast. What you get from Dan you know what your getting and get to test it. There is something to be said for that.

Did you see this mill? It is great deal if you ask me. Not to far to run down and pick it up too. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...esh-gmv-2-mill-doall-bandsaw-grinders-344757/

I know this is to far away and not a tree but just if you want a near new or rebuilt manual machine is gonna cost some bigger bucks.
Bridgeport Mill Series I 9"x 42" 2J 2. hp - tools - by dealer - sale

If you think $6k for the Tree shown then make him an offer IMHO.(likely a dealer would not come own that much)
I would like to have a machine like that with ball screws on the long and cross travel.

Buck

4130--thanks for that lead. Looks like a pretty nice machine. I'll dig around and see if I can fig out what kind of collets it uses. My suspicion is that it may be the Gorton taper, rather than a more common one. Much appreciated, though!

Andy, thanks for pointing that out. Sad story, always hard to hear of these types of losses. Too bad it's so far away. Looks like a PM member checked out the lathe, but I didn't see anything about the mill, other than a couple pics. The daughter admits she doesn't know that much about the machines, so I'm not sure if she'd be able to determine the taper size or even what tooling may go along with it. Wish I could simply stop by and look.

Back