What's new
What's new

Monarch 16x54 lathe, price looks okay

Hmmmm, thought you were pretty much just an "American" guy....
Yes, but only because the handles are reversed and you can't hop back and forth easily. Websterville was all Monarchs, they were nice. But the gearshift feature on Pacemakers is killer ... I would say they are six of one, half dozen of the other :)

I bought this machine last Friday. I'm a noob to the forum. I've pretty much been spending every free minute doing research. One of the gear change handles went missing or broke at some point during it's life. I came here to see if anyone was parting a machine out that I could source a handle from. I'd like to start a thread on here at some point about the machine.I wish I could post pictures. I always used photobucket before, but they seem to be terrible anymore. This machine was purchased new by Briggs and Stratton as a toolroom machine in 1954. I wasted several hours going through wormholes on the web tracing it's history. The lady at Monarch did say that it is technically a series 60 but with 61 series features. They are sending me the 61 manual.

Jared

I have a Series 61, built in 1957. Great lathes.

You can post pictures directly to the forum from your computer. No need for a photo hosting site. 3rd button from the right in the top toolbar above where you type in your response.

Anyway, I'd like to see pictures of your lathe. Mine is also a 16X54. It actually swings 18.5".

I'll try to post a thread about the machine with some more pictures when I get home tonight.

I put a 3/4 by 5 inch anchor in the corner of the floor and just hooked a snatch block on it. I bent that anchor about into a horseshoe and busted up the concrete a little bit on the top edge of the hole. I bought the lathe without putting a whole lot of though about how I was going to get it off the trailer. Where there's a will, there's a way, right? I used the trailer winch to get it inside the building. After that it was a come along with the snatch block and a ten foot piece of 1.5" square tubing as a bar to get it scooted over to the side. I did cut up the 6x6 ski's I made to slide it off the trailer and stacked those on a pallet jack. Used that to relieve some of the weight so I could lever it over with the bar. It took an entire day to get it off the trailer and where it's sitting. I'll try to upload some photos. Windows 10 is truly awful.

Jared

Yeah, minus a fork truck, it is almost always at least a half a day to move a machine that size. Trying to make it happen any faster is flirting with disaster.

I use the snatch block technique to unload with the difference that I anchor it with one or two other machines. It's no accident that I have 7K worth of machines in direct line with the door. I loop a tow strap around the lowest point on the base.

Great snag for your shop!

Here's some suggestions...

First... MOVE THE TV. It WILL get smashed by something flying off the lathe.

Next... it'd be a good idea to leave enough space BEHIND the lathe for you to be able to get back there to clean out chips, lost tools, and access the machine features.

As others noted, she's a big girl, and will settle the floor. To keep it true, you want it supported at three points... typically, two points at the headstock end, and one point at the tailstock end, and don't bolt it down to the floor tight... just anchor it enough so that it can't wander around.

Since my 10EE is currently in HER garage (while I'm building my new shop), I have the EE sitting on a steel pallet that I can get my hefty pallet jack under to move it. The pallet flexes to conform to the floor, but the mounting points on the 10EE match it's FOOT positions, and there's retainer bolts to keep it on the pallet, and levelling bolts at each foot position. My pallet also reaches out in front and behind the machine enough to increase it's footprint to reduce the 'tippy' factor.

You'll need a svelte pallet jack to move the whole thing, but you might be able to do it easily with two... and pallet jacks are very inexpensive, very handy, and very easy to store (poke them sideways into the end, and spin the handle 90 degrees!)

You will NOT regret acquiring that lathe... EVER!

Great snag for your shop!

Here's some suggestions...

First... MOVE THE TV. It WILL get smashed by something flying off the lathe.

Next... it'd be a good idea to leave enough space BEHIND the lathe for you to be able to get back there to clean out chips, lost tools, and access the machine features.

As others noted, she's a big girl, and will settle the floor. To keep it true, you want it supported at three points... typically, two points at the headstock end, and one point at the tailstock end, and don't bolt it down to the floor tight... just anchor it enough so that it can't wander around.

Since my 10EE is currently in HER garage (while I'm building my new shop), I have the EE sitting on a steel pallet that I can get my hefty pallet jack under to move it. The pallet flexes to conform to the floor, but the mounting points on the 10EE match it's FOOT positions, and there's retainer bolts to keep it on the pallet, and levelling bolts at each foot position. My pallet also reaches out in front and behind the machine enough to increase it's footprint to reduce the 'tippy' factor.

You'll need a svelte pallet jack to move the whole thing, but you might be able to do it easily with two... and pallet jacks are very inexpensive, very handy, and very easy to store (poke them sideways into the end, and spin the handle 90 degrees!)

You will NOT regret acquiring that lathe... EVER!

Thanks for the kind words and for the advice. I'm sure I'll have to make some changes to that area of the shop when I finally get it up and running. I can't wait! So much work to do still.

Back