What's new
What's new

Monarch 61 series with rapid traverse

Good old HGR. They can break anything.

I have bought some good stuff out of there though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure the forking HGR drivers have contests for who can bust the most stuff.

HGR = "Hafta Get Repaired"
The best part is some pictures of the same item, show it undamaged right when they got it in and the rest are obviously right after they moved it around some.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sir, have you ever been to HGR's 12 acres ?

In person ?

I have not. I'm new to this industrial machinery deal. I've been following auctions and such since I purchased my Monarch. There certainly is a lot of commerce happening with industrial tools that I never knew about. I need to quit looking probably before I end up with another piece of equipment that I don't have room for. I did go to HGR's website after seeing the responses to the thread. I need to stay far away from that place.

*EDIT* What I meant by "staying away from the place" was that I would probably purchase one or more large machines that I don't have room for. This was not a knock on HGR.

Last edited:
I know this will tick off a few. Even though my Dad used to say Monarch was the King of Lathes years ago. It probably was 70+ years ago but as far as now-a-days choice I would look for a newer machine because those machines had some real problem IMHO. The spindle hole is small, the RPM is slow, parts are hard to find and expensive, you can't scrape the bed-ways if the ways are worn. Hard to move in shop, One great thing about Monarchs they are STRONG and Beefy. Look at the length of the saddle, that machine can take a cut! But now modern lathes have bigger spindles, RPM is a lot faster, most cut metric and standard thread, etc.

... I did go to HGR's website after seeing the responses to the thread. I need to stay far away from that place.

I've no problem with HGR, have bought from them. They ":are what they are", and what they claim to be. . A pure, "raw", recycler. They are not cherry-pickers. That means some goods are a "deal", others less-so. A pro who DOES visit in-person and knows which is what can make the odd good out of that.

As to "far away"? McKean is not so far from HGR, geographically, and Dee and John DO "cherry pick". McKean tend to carry only the better goods, IN working order, AND NOT an unsorted mix or a few bargains and a lot more the mere sad remains-of once-good machine tools. Still worth a visit. For one thing, one might add the odd impulse purchase that hadn't been known of in advance. Even so, lower-risk of disappointment if bought over-the-wire, sight unseen.

"ERC" is another in the area as had goods worth my trip. Reliance RPM III Dee Cee motors in that case.

"Golden" is another rust-belter worth an on-site recce. They claim fewer than 10% of their goods ever get an eBay listing. Most of their trade - and this may apply to "all of the above" to an extent - are regulars who call or email and ASK if they have this-or-that on-hand to keep a plant's lines running off older gear.

No free lunch. Anywhere. Bargains have to be worked for and earned far more often than fallen-into by PBSL.

Richard, why are you saying that you can't scrape the bed ways if they are worn?

What is it about them that make them "unscrapable"?

By the way, I am not challenging you, I just want to learn.

Jacques

Richard, why are you saying that you can't scrape the bed ways if they are worn?

By the way, I am not challenging you, I just want to learn.

Jacques

They have flame hardened ways....need to be ground. Some say they can scrape or hand grind them, but thats a real pain in the hind end.

US2138811A - Surface hardening lathe bed
- Google Patents

Jacque I didn't take it as a challenge. lol.....I am not the crab some seem to think...lol I just have issues with fake news from fake rebuilders....LOL and looks like I'm crabby, but I'm a big Teddy Bear. :-)

....can't scrape the bed ways if they are worn?
They can be. They have been. See our late, lamented Harry Bloom (beckley23) "wreck" project threads in the Monarch forum "stickies".
Based off Harry's experience, I'm with Richard on this one. "Possible" doesn't make it a good idea.

Monarch's version of flame-hardening was harder and DEEPER than, for example, the similar treatment South Bend used. Monarch's casting alloying was not the same, either. Tougher material deal with.

Monarch ways are largish for any given swing, so there is a lot more of that hard to scrape surface-area per each lineal foot of bed than on some other lathes.

The ways themselves really, really should be professionally reground.

The underside of the saddle, HS, TS, TS split, cross & compound, and/or any applied build-up materials, new gibs, etc. - can of course be scraped.

Rich was only balking at the value vs effort equation for the ways themselves, not the rest of a Monarch.

but as far as now-a-days choice I would look for a newer machine because those machines had some real problem IMHO.

But now modern lathes have bigger spindles, RPM is a lot faster, most cut metric and standard thread, etc.

This is surely not the thread or forum for it, but since you specifically mentioned it, I would like to hear specific recommendations for 'modern' manual lathe models touted as superior. And your rec better have a rapid transit feature that is comparable to Monarch's, otherwise it is a non-starter, at least on a longer machine.

Any machine purchase has tradeoffs. The context of this particular thread is a guy pointing out a classic machine (that was damaged).

On the point of RPM, it is interesting that some Monarch competitors did offer significantly higher RPM capability. Pacemakers of the same era were offered with speeds as high as 2000, and the HD models up to 1600 rpm. I have seen late 60's era Lodge & Shipley AVS models with rpm meters that went to 3000 rpm.

A thread that compared differences of the classic lathes - gear box design, bearings, clutches, lubrication, longevity, repairability, usability, throughput, etc - could be really interesting.

Specific points you made:

-The spindle hole is small That hasn't changed
-The RPM is slow For some work, yes
-Parts are hard to find and expensive Amazingly still available, with great support, and parts machines are cheap
-You can't scrape the bed-ways if the ways are worn So you're saying hard ways are a negative?
-Hard to move in shop Oh, seriously? Come on.

(I re-ordered some points in your post for clarity)

I do appreciate machines that are easy to move. In that caregory I'd place my 36" DoAll vertical saw with its frame tapped at balance point as is my Colchester Triumph 2000, and my Chipmaster also has a 1/2" hole thru bed at balance point. My Deckel FP3L? Not in the easy category... Haven't had the pleasure of moving a Monarch.

L7

Glug, I didn't look at category, oops.

The point I was making from a Professional Machine Rebuilders stand point:

Plus I have rebuilt them and run them and they are a pain in my opinion. You may love them, but I don't!

Worn out hard ways are a pain to repair. Have to send the bed out to be ground.

I had issues buying parts 20 years ago and they were expensive compared to parts for Leblond or Colchester

Hard to move as they are heavy and easy to tip over if you have never moved anything. Many don't have the skill to move them and need to get a rigger. They are probably twice as heavy then most machines that swing and size.

If you read my whole post I praised them too. I would never buy one like that. I would buy a Double EE.

If you have a big fork lift or overhead crane, don't need to turn aluminum for a good finish, only need to turn long small diameter shafts then buy one.

Back