What's new
What's new

Myford Super 7 For Sale

Mike O'Connor

Plastic
For Sale: Myford Super 7 Lathe with QCGB & Power Cross Feed

It is with much regret that I must sell my Myford lathe due to an impending move. It was a tough decision between my 9" SBL and the Myford, but I only have room for one.:bawling:

I am the second owner. I purchased it from the person who bought it from (the estate of?) the original owner who was a retired engineer and made a few clocks with it. It has been extremely well maintained and taken care of. It works beautifully and is a true dream to use. There is no noticeable wear on the bed and the leadscrew and halfnuts appear as new. Judging by the condition of the wear-prone areas like the verticle shears of the bed, which still have all of the original machining marks visible and the minimal backlash on the leadscrews, this lathe has had minimal use. There are a few nicks in the paint from normal use, but I have a pint of color-matched paint that will go with the lathe for touch-up.

The tooling that will be included includes a very nice Bison/Toolmex 4" diameter 3-Jaw Universal Chuck with both sets of jaws. A Burnerd 6" 4-Jaw Indpendent Chuck designed specifically for the Myford S7. Myford 7" dia. Faceplate, Myford Fixed Steady & Traveling Steady, Four-Way Toolpost, L.C. Mason type Toolpost with (2) holders, 2MT Dead Centers, 2MT Live Center, Myford Dog Plate & (2) bronze lathe dogs, Myford English-style toolpost clamp, Myford 2MT collet closing piece and all required wrenches, tools and oiler that originally came with the lathe. The drill chuck that sneaked into the photo is no longer in my possession and was nothing special, so there is no drill chuck with the lathe. The original owner had about 95% completed a Rear-Mounted Tool Post, which is included. The plans are in the Ian Bradley book, also included.

The lathe is mounted on a new Kennedy Chip-Tray Workstation, which was the very last one that Kennedy had for sale when I purchased it a few years ago. I mounted the lathe on a pair of 9" South Bend risers with the adjustable foot on the tailstock end of the bed. They are mounted with a pair of 5/8" thick steel plate adapters that have the corresponding bolt patterns. I used the SBL bed risers due to the frustration of waiting for delivery of Myford Risers that took over 4 months to arrive. I now have the Myford Risers and they will go with the lathe as well. The new owner will have three choices of mounting the lathe. The SBL risers with adjustable tailstock foot, Myford Riser castings or the 5/8" thick adapter plates, which could also be used under the chip tray for further support. That was my intention when I took the time to make them.

In addition, I have just received a Myford Lathe Chuck Guard from England and when the BSF tap arrives to clean the original paint out of the mounting hole, will be mounted on the lathe.

I haven't had much time to make accessories or modify the lathe. So far the only additions are a traveling chip tray (white in photos) and a lever-type handle for the carriage lock. The original Myford bolt and parts are labeled and stored in a Zip-Loc bag if return to original condition is desired.

All of the original Myford paperwork for the lathe and QCGB is present in the original envelope. In addition, Ian Bradley's 'Myford Series 7 Manual' is included along with a copy of the M.E. article describing L.C. Mason's adjustable toolpost which I made for the lathe along with two holders.

Now the bad news. I have over $9000. invested in this lathe and workstation:nutter:, so I am looking for $6995. with the Kennedy Chip Tray Workstation or $6495 without it. Actually, I would be embarrassed to admit what it actually cost me to get this lathe and assemble everything that is present. Local pick-up is preferable. I live near Buffalo, NY and am within easy access of Southern Ontario. Because I need to move, I am willing to consider any serious offer.

I would be willing to build a crate for the lathe alone if someone was interested in just the lathe and had the crate picked-up here. I would not be able to skid the lathe or build a crate for the Kennedy workstation because I am disabled and have no means of handling a skid, much less load it. I am willing to work with the purchaser. Time is of the essence. A move is impending.

Added:

Also included is a new Myford/Dickson-Type Quick Change Toolpost Set that includes the main tool block & wrench, (2) turning holders, (1) turning & boring holder and a parting/cut-off holder with a 3/32" wide parting blade.

The Burnerd 6" dia. 4-Jaw chuck is the slim, low weight model designed specifically for the Myford lathe. I had to find it and ship it from the UK, just like the steady and follower rests and they were not cheap. I haven't made a back plate for it yet. I may or may not be able to do that before the lathe must go, it depends upon the domestic situation and how fast I must pack up my shop equipment and leave. :toetap: I have the material and that would of course go with the chuck if the backplate doesn't get finished. Right now odds are 50/50 that it will be mounted.:D

I will take some additional photos today of the lathe and tooling if anyone is interested. I would be happy to e-mail them to you. Thanks for checking it out.:cheers:

Attachments

• Myford1_1_1.jpg
    Myford1_1_1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7,541
  • Myford15_7_1.jpg
    Myford15_7_1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,987
  • Myford14_6_1.jpg
    Myford14_6_1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Myford8_14_1.jpg
    Myford8_14_1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,970
  • Myford Tooling LowRes_1.jpg
    Myford Tooling LowRes_1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4,509
Last edited:
See Myford Wanted post

See Buy and Sell section. Someone just posted looking for one of these.

Hello C.M.,Thanks for the lead. I have already spoken to him and he is looking for one that is on his side of the country.
and 500 bucks.... but he won't tell you that part. At least he didn't conjure up the time honored "wife won't let me have it" excuse ;)

Milacron:

I'm the person looking for a Myford and I would like to get one for free. Why pay $500? I hope Mike is able to get his full asking price but it's a little more than I'm looking to pay and it obviously doesn't include shipping to the far side of the country.

Serious Offers Considered.

"...Time is of the essence."

Not at 6500 it isn't.

Jim

Because time is of the essence, I will consider any serious offer for the lathe. I understand it is a lot of money, I know first hand because it took a long time to save for and acquire this lathe and the tooling. However, some things in life are more important than your dream lathe. At the end of the day, it is merely another tool for a specific purpose.

Take it easy on me guys, this is painful enough.

Regards,
Mike

Because time is of the essence, I will consider any serious offer for the lathe. I understand it is a lot of money, I know first hand because it took a long time to save for and acquire this lathe and the tooling. However, some things in life are more important than your dream lathe. At the end of the day, it is merely another tool for a specific purpose.

Take it easy on me guys, this is painful enough.

Regards,
Mike
Hi all: I have this lathe in long bed, quick change, hardened ways version and I imported it from England in 1979 with steadyrest and followrest along with the vertical milling slide, dog driver, faceplate, two chucks, etc and I paid well over 3500 dollars for it way back then.. Mike

>>I paid well over 3500 dollars for it way back then..

Out of curiosity, I put this into the BLS.gov inflation calculator...
$3500 1979 dollars = $10,255 2009 dollars.

Super 7 1979

>>I paid well over 3500 dollars for it way back then..

Out of curiosity, I put this into the BLS.gov inflation calculator...
$3500 1979 dollars = $10,255 2009 dollars.

Hi : Yes I wouldnot doubt it a bit.. At the time I had to use a customs broker, had to pay import duties and I don't remember what the exchange rate was on the pound sterling..

Myford LTd sells high dollar machinery but I can tell anyone that this little lathe is a real dandy.. It will tackle jobs that seem too big for it with ease...

It has fiber tumbler gears or at least mine does .. This is a safety feature that will save more expensive parts if there is an overload of the feed mechanism..

The taper cone/double ballrace spindle is great as well as it is self centering in its wear.. It can be readily adjusted for heavy work or light, high speed work..
An in depth account of this lathe and other Myford lathes can be seen in the book "THE AMATEUR'S LATHE" by L.H Sparey...
Just my two cents.. Mike

Sir your machine is clearly a labor of love, it has had your attentions lavished on it,
obviously. I caution you to not confuse love with money. This happens often.

Using the inflation calculator to declare a value will not make buyers appear from
thin air. I respectfully suggest you investigate ebay to find some comparable
machines, and price it in relation to them, taking into account your tooling, the
machine's excellent condition, and its rarity.

Also consider however what a buyer can purchase new, for the same amount.
The myford is a lovely hobby machine. But you will not get any industrial buyers
for a machinel like that. Your market is very specific and very limited.

Jim

Hello everyone,

I really do appreciate everyone's constructive comments. I understand that this type of lathe isn't everyone's 'cup of tea' and I am looking for a buyer in an industrial marketplace, which is akin to finding a needle in a haystack. The reason I listed it here first is that I have met some amazing people here at PM and every single transaction that I have had which originated here has been extremely positive.

Even though the majority of members here are engaged in full scale machining and engineering, there are many here who share my interests of model making and home shop machining. We don't often stick our heads above the ramparts for many reasons, but they are here for the same reason that I am, it is the best resource around for this information, be it full scale or miniature machining.

My starting price was arrived at not only based upon what I have paid for everything, which I understood from the beginning could never be fully recovered, but also on the current prices of similar used Super 7's that are listed in various UK stockists. They range in price from 3000-4000 Pounds Sterling for a comparable machine with the same features. This would be $4400.- $5900. at current exchange rates. These lathes are listed in dealers ads, so they are on the high side, however most are sold without much, if any tooling. Of course, the expense of shipping and customs quickly puts these machines out of reach for the average North American buyer.

The tooling costs for the Myford lathes can be deceptive as well. For instance, purchasing a steady or follow rest from Myford's doesn't seem expensive when you check their current prices, but when you add the insane UK Postal charges and Custom Broker Fees, it becomes very expensive. As far as rarity is concerned, there are only one or two used machines a year that show up on eBay in the US. Myford lathes are often passed to model engineering club members when one does become available or kept in the family. I am not sure what the new replacement cost for my lathe and tooling would be precisely, but I would estimate that it would be double or triple what my asking price was. Very few of us would even consider such a purchase. I am not sure if this was directed at me, but I do not confuse love and money. I am only trying to sell a lathe here because I am moving and can only keep one due to space requirements, that's all.

I have also mentioned a few times that I am willing to consider any serious offers for the lathe. Thanks for the comments.

Kind regards,
Mike

Good luck sir. It does look like a wonderful machine, and I sincerely hope you and
a buyer come to terms on a sale. That is the best possible outcome on a situation
like this - everyone comes away happy.

Jim

A friend of mine had a brand new one imported about 10 years ago- long hardened bed, steady, follow, chucks, face plates, QC tool post, milling attachment, and some other accessories. I think he spent about $6500 for it.
Andy

Myford for sale

I'll be out of town for the next week. Should you still have it then, I'd like to make an offer. I'd do so now, but the reason for travelling is to sell a few things to raise money both for tools and a few other purchases.
Jack

I'll be out of town for the next week. Should you still have it then, I'd like to make an offer. I'd do so now, but the reason for travelling is to sell a few things to raise money both for tools and a few other purchases.
So you're going "door to door" to sell machines ? A tool gypsy ??

Re: Myford

LOL! No, I'm actually selling a couple of non-machine-tool collectible items at a show, and hoping to sell a few others. I hope to have more cash coming home than when I leave. If worse comes to worst, I'll at least have enough for some new glasses, plus some good memories to boot.
Jack

Back