What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney No. 3 universal bench milling machine for sale

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
I've got one of my Pratt & Whitney No. 3 universal bench milling machines for sale. This mill is the companion machine to P&W's No. 3 toolmaker's bench lathe, and was designed for small, high precision work. A lot of good information about these mills is available at the lathes.co.uk site: http://www.lathes.co.uk/prattwhitneymiller/

100_1443.JPG

100_1444.JPG

100_1445.JPG

This machine is in excellent condition. Backlash on the table screws is .010 on the Y axis and .006 on the X. All table and knee movements are smooth. The spindle bearings are plain tapered steel, and turn smoothly as well. The table surface has some wear from use, and a couple of minor tool marks, but is still flat and useable. Being that the machine is a universal mill, the table swivels left to right about 30 degrees.
These mills have the P&W No. 3 (Hardinge 3PN) spindle taper. Maximum collet capacity is 1/2". 7 collets (1/8" to 1/2" by 16ths, all original P&W brand) and one 1/2" horizontal milling arbor are included. Also included are the collet drawbar, overarm support, and the Z axis crank handle.
I forgot to take photos, but I do have a motor drive countershaft and matching cone pulley for this mill that are included in the sale. The countershaft is not an original P&W unit- it was made and sold by the Lewis company for use with their small milling machines. A catalog image of the countershaft is available here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/lewis/page3.html The included motor is a new 1/2 HP Westinghouse single phase.
I'm asking $500 for the machine, tooling and countershaft/motor. In addition, I do have an original P&W swiveling vise (intended for this mill) that I could throw in for an additional $200:

100_1446.JPG

So, $500, or $700 with the vise.
The machine is located in Elkins, WV and can be picked up here. It will easily ride in any vehicle. Delivery may be possible, depending on your location.
Thanks,
Andy
[email protected]

Back