What's new
What's new

Republic-Lagun 14x40 High Speed High Precision Lathe With A Transformer

sinisa72

Plastic
Hello ,I am selling off my Fully functional Republic-Lagun High Speed High Precision Lathe 1440 /14x40 made by USA based company /1985 /Ser.#14482110068.It has never been used in a serial production but for in-shop use.Asking price 4400.00$ with RPC Converter included .(RPC /Rotary Phase Converter which turns single phase power into 3PH, something a basic transformer cannot do)
The RPC is used to enable the lathe to work in non-commercial environment such as home shops. Very powerful and practical setup. Definitely a super-pro's machine at a low price.
Republic-Lagune is USA American Company making High Precision Lathes and selling mostly to USA government agencies.You can easily access their website (Republic Lagun | Machining Tool Manufacturer and Distributor)
For further questions please email me at [email protected] we can then exchange phones and possibly arrange for your visit to see and test the lathe your self. The Lathe is located in Sterling IL 61081.Thanks!

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00337.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC00215.jpg

Last edited:
I give up.........

..........what is the country of manufacture? Is there a price associated with this sale? Any tooling? Loading available at the current site? Under power?

Sheesh! I'm not even in the market for one, and not close to you. More info will help your sale!

..........what is the country of manufacture? Is there a price associated with this sale? Any tooling? Loading available at the current site? Under power?

Sheesh! I'm not even in the market for one, and not close to you. More info will help your sale!
Thanks friend ,great suggestion the listing has been updated!

Lagun is a Spanish company. I doubt highly that this machine was made in the USA. It could have been made in Europe or Asia.

Is there any tooling with it?

Such as:
Taper attachment
Centers
Tool post
Cutting tools
Steady rest

The "transformer" in your photos is not, it is a rotory phase converter, or RPC.
It turns single phase power into 3PH, something a basic transformer cannot do.

When a gaff like that is made, it points to a basic lack of knowledge that makes the whole of your description suspect.

For instance, to my knowledge*, the Southern California Corporation, Republic Lagun, has never made anything, let alone in the USA. They are a dealer that specializes in importing European and Asian machines made by various manufacturers, with their badge pinned on. They are known for some unusual traits for importers of machinery, a good stock of spare parts and service, (most for current machines) and willingness to please their customer. They obviously excersize some control over the quality as well. Doesn't make their products "Made in the USA" though.
*I stand prepared to be corrected on some part of this.

The flat faced hand wheels are the first indicator of the foriegn origin of your offering.

If your lathe has not been stripped of important parts that came with it originally, like the steady rest and follow rest, you would do well to include them in the pictures. Obviously a lot of tooling was used on the machine that is not shown either but even if it has been separated from the sale, the original parts should not have been.

Selling a good, whole lathe at premium, is possible. Selling it piece by hard-to-find piece will not be, unless you are lucky enough to find someone with more money than sense, who is dying to get an older imported lathe that has been stripped and over-priced, not likely.

Not meant to be offensive, the majority of folks don't have any knowledge of machine tools and perhaps you are banking on that, though these pages are unlikely to provide many of those. Just a note cautioning against making public statements about features that you are not qualified to identify. Either do your home work or leave all those guesses out. Some might misinterpret them as dishonest sales hype.

Do get a tripod for your camera, some good light and make some close ups, particularly of the ways, especially near the head stock, because it is apparent that we must rely on our own judgement in this instance. Resist the urge to make it shiney by pressure spraying it with cold or hot soapy water, which will ruin it.

Finally, $4,400 will buy a superior American made lathe, or perhaps one of the few, (by volume) superior "foreign" lathes, such as the Dean Smith and Grace, made in the UK, or great Japanese lathes, if the shopper is earnest. Especially in this "send all manufacture overseas and scrap our fine machines" mentality, that is desperately short on cash.

Bob

When you say "transformer", I assume you mean the phase-a-matic phase converter in the picture?
Or does it have an odd voltage motor that requires an actual transformer as well?

Lagun mills are nice like stated earlier their service is excellent. Carmen has been there almost 40 years! I'm pretty sure that mills are made in Spain to high standards.

Not sure about the lathes.

Lagun is a Spanish company. I doubt highly that this machine was made in the USA. It could have been made in Europe or Asia.

Is there any tooling with it?

Such as:
Taper attachment
Centers
Tool post
Cutting tools
Steady rest

Thanks for asking Rpublic-Lagune has started out in Spain it is a separate company now...you can check it in their company history..."In 1965, we had a major expansion of our Spanish organization with a merger of other machine tool builders in Spain. It was decided by all concerned to establish an independent American organization. In 1968 Republic Machinery Company, Inc., was established in the State of California. In 1972 we became known as Republic Lagun Machine Tool Company..."
and here is a direct link to that page About Us & History | Republic Lagun...
I have some tooling mostly drills and cutting tools , I will post exactly what I have tomorrow as far as additional tooling.Please watch my listing as it is updated daily,
thanks

Made in Taiwan by the Turret Company and sold thru the Spanish Company LaGun. Well made machine, they typically go between 2500 and 3 grand, tooled. Earl.

Heres mine.

sblresize.jpg

The "transformer" in your photos is not, it is a rotory phase converter, or RPC.
It turns single phase power into 3PH, something a basic transformer cannot do.

When a gaff like that is made, it points to a basic lack of knowledge that makes the whole of your description suspect.

For instance, to my knowledge*, the Southern California Corporation, Republic Lagun, has never made anything, let alone in the USA. They are a dealer that specializes in importing European and Asian machines made by various manufacturers, with their badge pinned on. They are known for some unusual traits for importers of machinery, a good stock of spare parts and service, (most for current machines) and willingness to please their customer. They obviously excersize some control over the quality as well. Doesn't make their products "Made in the USA" though.
*I stand prepared to be corrected on some part of this.

The flat faced hand wheels are the first indicator of the foriegn origin of your offering.

If your lathe has not been stripped of important parts that came with it originally, like the steady rest and follow rest, you would do well to include them in the pictures. Obviously a lot of tooling was used on the machine that is not shown either but even if it has been separated from the sale, the original parts should not have been.

Selling a good, whole lathe at premium, is possible. Selling it piece by hard-to-find piece will not be, unless you are lucky enough to find someone with more money than sense, who is dying to get an older imported lathe that has been stripped and over-priced, not likely.

Not meant to be offensive, the majority of folks don't have any knowledge of machine tools and perhaps you are banking on that, though these pages are unlikely to provide many of those. Just a note cautioning against making public statements about features that you are not qualified to identify. Either do your home work or leave all those guesses out. Some might misinterpret them as dishonest sales hype.

Do get a tripod for your camera, some good light and make some close ups, particularly of the ways, especially near the head stock, because it is apparent that we must rely on our own judgement in this instance. Resist the urge to make it shiney by pressure spraying it with cold or hot soapy water, which will ruin it.

Finally, $4,400 will buy a superior American made lathe, or perhaps one of the few, (by volume) superior "foreign" lathes, such as the Dean Smith and Grace, made in the UK, or great Japanese lathes, if the shopper is earnest. Especially in this "send all manufacture overseas and scrap our fine machines" mentality, that is desperately short on cash.

Bob

Thanks Bob for your comments , some of them are very helpful others are downright misleading.

You said that I should do research before I make a comment and then you say about your own statements "...I stand prepared to be corrected on some part of this" that clearly states that you are not sure what you are talking about your self either.

Anybody that does their research well does not stand to be corrected on anything.And please don't say it is a figure of speech.

Republic-Lagun is one of the finest and most reputable companies in USA .
I provided a web address so anybody interested can call the corporate office and inquire about parts, warranties etc.
There is Nothing mysterious about my post.Absolutely not!

I do however sense a bias from your response! You stated British machines are not foreign!
Really ?What are Brits ?Americans best friends or are you forgetting your history? I will ask you to please keep comments like that in check because we are discussing machines here not individual nationalistic and political preferences!

You also stated that most of the people don't know what they are talking about....If I thought that was true on this forum I would have posted this superior machine on Ebay instead!

And for the record I assume that anybody in their right mind (which is the only kind of people I do business with) would come and see the lathe and test it before purchase is made.

Thank you ,
and do get some manners!

I do however sense a bias from your response! You stated British machines are not foreign!

Uhh... You should go back and read that again. He, in fact, stated outright, that DS&G lathes were foreign.

Pictures! Well lit, in focus, and showing the tools and accessories that go with the lathe.

And you might as well take some friendly advice to grow a thicker skin, or at least, don't go looking for offense, lest you find it.:)

"This superior machine" does not look much like a deal, without it's matching set of accoutrements. If you look at the listings for a similar sized lathe from Grizzly Tools, you will see a common set of accessories usually accompanies the lathe. The steady and follower rests in particular are a PITA to find if they have been separated, and are well worth finding. A taper attachment (likely was not one, but stranger and luckier things have happened) is a real asset. After that, any chucks, tool holders, etc.

Cheers
Trev

Thanks Bob for your comments , some of them are very helpful others are downright misleading.
Sinisa, "misleading" is writing a for sale ad that asserts that an import lathe was made in the USA. Could have been an honest mistake or a devious lie. I chose to give you the benefit of the doubt.
You said that I should do research before I make a comment and then you say about your own statements "...I stand prepared to be corrected on some part of this" that clearly states that you are not sure what you are talking about your self either.
No no sinisa, not before you make a comment but before you make a a false statement that seems to have been made to profit at anothers expence. That lathe was NOT made in the USA!
Anybody that does their research well does not stand to be corrected on anything.And please don't say it is a figure of speech.
Does their research well? I wasn't doing research sinisa, I was courteously correcting some misleading errors in your hype from memory and got it right.
Republic-Lagun is one of the finest and most reputable companies in USA .
I provided a web address so anybody interested can call the corporate office and inquire about parts, warranties etc.
There is Nothing mysterious about my post.Absolutely not!
Ya' know sinisa, you are a weasely little kind of guy, the type that gives peddlers a bad name. I praised the importer of your lathe as one of the best, you lied by saying, "made in the USA" and then when you got caught, you hoped that no one would notice that you revised, (Last edited by sinisa72; 08-17-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Additional Information) that lie to "made by USA based company" Wrong again! The Taiwanese company that made that lathe, is NOT based in the USA!
You are right sinisa, nothing at all "mysterious about (your) post.Absolutely not!"
Really ?What are Brits ?Americans best friends or are you forgetting your history? I will ask you to please keep comments like that in check because we are discussing machines here not individual nationalistic and political preferences!
OK sinisa, I'm going to cut you a little slack here, you obviously are perception challenged. Here's another chance at it: "superior "foreign" lathes, such as the Dean Smith and Grace, made in the UK, or great Japanese lathes,"
You also stated that most of the people don't know what they are talking about....If I thought that was true on this forum I would have posted this superior machine on Ebay instead!
Cute sinisa. "the majority of folks don't have any knowledge of machine tools", is different than your misquote, "You also stated that most of the people don't know what they are talking about" You could not have missed the remainder of that statement: "though these pages are unlikely to provide many of those."
And for the record I assume that anybody in their right mind (which is the only kind of people I do business with) would come and see the lathe and test it before purchase is made.
A sucker born every minute, right sinisa? And when the unknowledgable buyer is led into your den, would you then attempt to further reinforce your misdirection by pointing to the label on the lathe that notes that the importer of this lathe is headquartered in the USA, hoping that he can't distinguish the difference between that and "made in the USA?"

Following your lead of assuming sinisa, when you post in the for sale section of an international forum, I assume that the majority of the readers, in their right mind or not, will not be able to visit you in Illinois. There are many sight-unseen sales of machinery where both parties feel that they can trust each other. That trust starts with the perception of truth in the original ad, usually followed by the good photos that I suggested, being sent to the potential buyer, to substitute for a personal viewing.
Thank you ,
and do get some manners!
With apologies sinisa, "Not meant to be offensive," was the best I could do in the face of all the above, capped by, "Definitely a super-pro's machine at a low price."

But you are on the right track sinisa, with ebay. Lots of uninformed people there but beware, ebay doesn't well tolerate misleading hype, when it is pointed out to them.

Bob

Back