What's new
What's new

Lady needs help selling large sheet metal punch: Strippit Super 30/30 with tooling

kgize

Cast Iron
Lady needs help selling large sheet metal punch: Strippit Super 30/30 with tooling in Austin TX.
I just bought an old Reed lathe from a nice lady whose father died and she inherited his machine shop with most of it ending up sitting in her garage collecting dust. Now with hard times upon her, with respiratory medical problems, and property tax lien issues - she has to sell her father’s inheritance, but she is not very knowledgeable about what she has or how to sell it. She is no machinist and needs some help. So I decided to help her out, but I’m also finding it difficult to figure a price or how to sell such a large machine. She is not sure what it is worth. She has been trying to sell it on Craigslist (with terrible pictures) but gets flagged – apparently ‘do-gooders’ decide she is a commercial seller which aren’t supposed to sell there. In doing web searches I get only a few hits of the same machines in other states at a national level from machinery dealers but they want one to call for a quote – no obvious price (found one site in California asking 10K for same machine with no tooling). How does one sell such a machine with limited knowledge about the machine beyond it’s basic function? I see machinery.com mentioned here, and E-bay of course – are those the main venues? She is asking $15000 OBO but is not sure of it’s value. Comes with 9 drawer tool box about 90% full; with 100 to 150 punch and die sets (with spring), and another 30 dies (new unopened containers), and several more drawers of various tooling, also has die grinder. Suggestions solicited as to what this machine with this tooling is worth (I know the value is what someone is willing to pay – other suggestions solicited) and how to sell. Note – There is no gain in this request for me beyond the satisfaction of helping a stranger – and genuinely wondering the best way to sell a large ‘commercial’ piece of machinery such as this.
I took some pictures for her and made a quick web page:
Strippit_Super30-30
Owners email: indiajade('at' sign)mail.com

Last edited:
You got the Reed Lathe! Nice deal on that one, looked at the CL listing and knew it wouldn't last long.

Most of the old punch machines have been obsoleted by waterjet cutting. I see some machinery dealers doing the usual "pick up for scrap value, hold for top dollar".

Any other machinery? I'm still looking for a small (6" x 12") surface grinder.

Tom

Hello Tom - She still has a very large vintage slip roll for rolling sheet metal - It's a very large manual operated rig - old USA made - from memory about 6 ft long and about 4 inch rollers - she's asking 1500$ for that - I also have no idea what those are worth that big....but know they are pretty expensive - and sh is negotiable . I should have taken pictures of that too - but didn't....
No surface grinder - I too have been looking for a deal on a surface grinder..see them in CL for Dallas and Houston - and really good prices towards the East Coast - but not much here in Austin.
I am happy with the lathe purchase, but not sure not all that great a deal - 300$ - turned out to be smaller swing than I thought fom the pictures on CL - a 12 inch swing lathe according to it's 'legs' numbers - and is short bed only about 30 inches usable space . It lacked the change gears and needs a lot of 'cleaning up'. The ways appear very minimally worn though except a little surface rust, but then a few teeth broken off of one of the back gears...not sure it was all that great a deal - people on the east coast would say I spent troo much I imagine. It came with 3 chucks, one a 6 jaw 'adjust tru' from kalamazoo - which clinched the deal for me - - but turns out 2 of them have the wrong spindle mount and the one that does fit is far too large for this lathe - a vntage Horton 12 inch 3 jaw on a 12 inch lathe - although one can actually put a disk of 13 7/8 inches before it hits the 'V' ways...I was looking for a vintage 'stubby' lathe of about 14 to 18 inch swing to restore - and use mostly as a pattern makers lathe for wood turning (so i quit using my main SB metal lathe for wood) ..this one is a little smaller than I wanted but seems lately so few old lathes turn up around here - so I jumped on this one...Another project

Back