What's new
What's new

FOR SALE _ Monarch Metal Lathe and other shop contents - Windsor, Ontario, Canada

mlogan

Plastic
Monarch Metal Lathe for sale - CD$12,000
*This lathe was inspected by a PM member, and is in good working condition.

It comes with a number of spindle-nose units.

Video link: Monarch Lathe and Her Master - YouTube
(if you slide the timer to 3:00, you will see the lathe engaged and working)

Mastermil vertical drill: CD$1,500.00

OR

CD$15,000 for entire shop contents, including:

Monarch Metal Lathe
Mastermil vertical drill
Tooling
Welder
Air Compressor
...and much more

CD$15,000.00IMG_1558.jpgIMG_1556.jpgIMG_1562.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 992
  • IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 1,073
I admired watching this man working. What I could see in the video of his layout and machinery, for a small old school shop, appealed to me. His price tag of CD 15k for the lot strikes me as worth very serious consideration. The snag is, though, that I have no ready way to transport the stuff, nowhere to put it if I could transport it, and, unfortunately and most importantly, no need for it. It would be nice to see someone more suitably situated than myself get into contact with this gentleman.

-Marty-

To All;

I am the PM member referred to by the poster. I am including a link to the original ad that was placed on Kijiji Canada goo.gl/7csjKN There are more pictures of the lathe and the lathe deserves more pictures. We looked at the machine with the intent of purchasing it for our business if it was suitable, the only reason we didn't buy it is because the bed length is shorter than that of the manual lathe we currently have. The lathe is a Series 62. I'm not sure of the model but it is a large swing, short bed version. We could not find the machine label to fully identify it but later found that the cover added over the motor and hydraulic tank is obstructing the view of the labels. We operated the lathe and found everything to be fully functional. The Dyna-shift works perfectly, both to manually select a spindle speed with the upper rpm dial and to use the pre-selector. The only Dyna-shift control that was not 100% was the secondary dial on the preselector that allows you to determine surface speed based on cut diameter and rpm. I believe this was just stuck from lack of use and would be easy to get working with a simple clean and lube. This is not a part of the hydraulic shifting mechanism. There are at least 6 chucks available with the machine. There is also a frequency converter that is considered part of the machine. We tested it and it works fine. I believe the maximum spindle rpm is 1750. The feed and threading gear boxes all work properly as do the rapid feed over-rides. Bed wear appears minimal. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Glenn McMullin aka metronorth.

Hello - thank you for your nice comments. I wanted to clarify: I am the daughter of the gentleman in the video - dad, sadly, has passed away, and I happened to have taken the video some time prior to that. He was truly a master, exacting, and expecting perfection of himself. I hope that someone who loves and enjoys the work just as much, ends up with all of this. ~ML

Hello - thank you for your nice comments. I wanted to clarify: I am the daughter of the gentleman in the video - dad, sadly, has passed away, and I happened to have taken the video some time prior to that. He was truly a master, exacting, and expecting perfection of himself. I hope that someone who loves and enjoys the work just as much, ends up with all of this. ~ML

That explains it. Very sorry for your loss. Hope you find another caring soul to cherish his tools.

dee
;-D

Mary, that is a beautiful lathe.
Certainly wish i had the space for it.

I had a 1946 CKK that me and my machinist buddies would have "biggest cut" contests on. The record was 3/8" radial at 28rpm dialed down on the VFD to about 75%

LOVE those monarchs
Not great on small diameter work, but look how massive that thing is!

Hi,
I can take more pictures, but I'm only allowed to post 5, so I'm not sure how to get around that. As for more information, this is part of my late father's shop, and I'm not so savvy about machinery, but I know he added extra controls for ease of use. It's in excellent working order.

More pictures would be great. Close up of the spindle where the tools spin would be helpful and just overall pictures of the whole machine. Any nameplate tags with model numbers would help it sell. Sorry for your loss.

Hi,
I can take more pictures, but I'm only allowed to post 5, so I'm not sure how to get around that. As for more information, this is part of my late father's shop, and I'm not so savvy about machinery, but I know he added extra controls for ease of use. It's in excellent working order.
The 5 picture limit just applies to each posting, and not for the entire thread.
So put up another set of pictures in your next post.
Dave

Hi guys,

I had a chance to have several conversations with the OP last week. She is very nice, sent me lots of pics, and is easy to work with. The pics show an absolute ton of tooling. I was interested in the Gorton mill. Problem is I live on west coast. Between not being able to lay hands on equipt, shipping, and customs, I passed on it. However, I think the equipt looks top notch. The mill pics look like the gentleman made 3 axis powerfeeds using Baldor motors. There's a central control panel on right side of machine, not well shown in the pic originally posted. Machine looks like it's in pretty good shape. I didn't see a DRO. Anyone in the midwest willing to take a drive, should check out this shop. If I lived closer, I'd have likely bought it all. Tooling alone worth the drive.

mlogan, best of luck selling. Someone is going to get a great deal. Wish it was me.

Does anyone know if the machines and shop equipment are still available? I’ve sent emails and PM’s with no reply. Thanks.

Hi Glenn - I found the original certificate of origin regarding the (April 1994)purchase of the lathe and other equipment. The only information included regarding the lathe is that it is 24" x 30", serial number 42222. It was purchased from Horn Machinery Co., Roseville MI.

Back